Sunday, January 10, 2010

What's On Your List?

Not much going on in my world right now as the clock quickly ticks to when I will have three jobs. Thanks to sis being here the fourth job of taking care of Mom will be her responsibility for the next couple of months. I meet with the firm that I will be working for on January 19 to determine my starting date will be. I told them this year that three days a week would be about maximum for me. I want some time to be available for the guys that bought my business and for some of my own work projects.

All the good television shows are completed so there isn't even a good entertainment update this week. For you 24 fans don't forget it starts January 17, 2010 on Fox. For Project Runway Fans the new season starts on The Lifetime Channel on January 14, 2010.

I did go to the latest George Clooney movie, UP IN THE AIR, last week. Directed by Jason Reitman the movie is about a corporate downsizer (George Clooney) that travels over three hundred days a year around the United States to fire people. Clooney gives an Oscar worthy performance supported well by his love interest fellow traveler portrayed by Vera Farmiga (Boy In The Striped Pajamas), a young employee that he mentors played by Anna Kendrick (Twilight) and his boss played by the ever understated Jason Bateman (State Of Play, Juno). The acting is marvelous and the story is well written. It does keep your attention. However, it ends up being very depressing and if you are suicidal it is best not to go to this movie. Just the idea of the job loss in today's economy is troublin. When you add to it his last scene in the movie with Farmiga and the scene when he reaches his lifelong goal it becomes very difficult for to handle. One football each for Clooney, Kendrick, Farmiga, Bateman, and director Reitman. Two minus footballs for the depressing storyline and that the best acted scenes were the depressing ones. Three total footballs.

What is on your list today? Sometimes when I have absolutely nothing to write about I will just post my to do list on the blog:

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2009/03/held-hostage.html

Speaking of depressing, it has got to be depressing that if I looked at my to do list today it would be almost the same as the one I posted almost a year ago! That stinks for a goal oriented person.

Like the lead character in Up In The Air have you ever reached a goal and found out that the journey to the goal was more exciting then the moment you reached the goal? And since this is Update Day tell me not only what is on your list but bring some excitement to the blog and report in on your life. It is your day so post anything you damn well please!

9 comments:

Pat said...

Just read your year-old to do list. If I made lists like that, I'd be spending my day making lists. The first six on your list, I do by rote. After that, for today, the highlights are:
Clean out fireplace again
Two loads of laundry
Visit mom
A little sewing (just repairs)
Go to library for book group book (maybe)
Read some, fool around on computer
Dinner and some tv, then bed
Beyond that, who knows what may crop up to do today? Nothing exciting, for sure.

As to goals, can't think of many. At one time, it was to get into the union (a closed shop at the time) so I could make some money, and I was darned pleased when I finally accomplished that.

Lady DR said...

Bill, thanks a bunch for the review on "Up in the Air." I will definitely give it a miss, since part of my mission for the year is to be upbeat and content and positive.

Geez, I'd forgotten about your posting the to-do list and had to chuckle. My daily to do lists are partially mental and partially in my MPs. My calendar has a monthly list of goals on the month page and a weekly to-do list, but it doesn't include any of the routine tasks, like getting me together or fixing meals or the like. I may include groceries and laundry, if I want to be sure I'm aware of what's going to take some time, but mostly it's stuff I want to accomplish that week, but may put off, and a lot of it gets done on the weekend.

Today's list was clear out the two bottom cupboards left of the sink and the two drawers. (I'd done the cupboards and cabinets and drawers on the left last weekend and cleaned both ovens and the stove burner pans and wall behind them yesterday). Kitchen clearing is a long term project, as I have lots of cupboards and cabinets and lots of tupperware! Decisions must be made. All the tupperware and storage containers from two cabinets and one cupboard are on the craft room table. Next week I'll set up an additional card table and empty the last two cupboards of tupperware and such. No decisions until the pantry has been sorted out, to see what's in there that should be in thp. Then, I can make decisions. I have way too much kitchen "stuff!"

Other than that, we celebrated Himself's birthday on Tuesday, I did editing and pool and line dance, we talked about what we wanted to do different in this new year.

Yes, have had instances where journey was more important than destination (goal), which is what JC "preached" in Artist's Way. I'd say one of my goals is to remember to enjoy the journey.

dona said...

I am also thankful for the report on Up in The Air. The promos don't really show that it has depressing moments..or at least what I have seen. I sort of thought it was going to be an end all love story.
As to journeys/goals and such. I too think we should just try to enjoy the journeys.

Once again I loved the old post of "to do's". I have to say I am really upset with myself as I read in the comments of that post where I asked for DR to cough up the place of her calendar, that sounded like something I could use.
She did with no problem, which was very nice of her. However, I forgot to make a list at that moment resulting in my forgetting all about it until now! So I never got one of those calendars.
Almost worse that forgetting to use the to-do list after you make it.

Lady DR said...

Dona, it's Amy Knapp's Family Organizer and certainly not too late to get. Got to www.the familyorganizer.com or call them at 800-313-0653. I use the soft cover classic organizer, $14.99 (Amazon couldn't get it this year at a cheaper price). Think it took maybe five days for it to arrive after ordering.

Quit beating yourself up (I cannot tell you how many "references" I've managed to misplace/lose) and just get it (G).

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I used to hate cleaning out fireplaces! What a busy day you have today!

The union was very important, probably still impacting you!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

If you want positive good movies do not miss Invictus or The Blind Side. They had the audience cheering.

I really don't do a daily to do list anymore, I reduced mine to a weekly to do list.

You always seem so busy with so many tasks!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HIMSELF!!

I think when I look back the journey to the goals were more rewarding than the actual goal itself!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

If you want to see a good love story with really good music that is already out on video check out 500 Days of Summer but warning not the happiest of endings.

I love that you are normal and forgot the calendar! DR just posted the information again! Maybe I will get one too!

Bill

dona said...

DR, thanks for the reminder of where to get those again, and Bill thanks for another movie to watch, although if there is not a happy ending, what's the point? :)

And yes Bill, I think we should both get one of those calendars....unless we forget again.

William J. said...

Hi Don

What calendars were we supposed to get, I forgot.

Just kidding.

Bill