Saturday, January 23, 2010

Rants & Rescues

First we need to send our love Kaye's way. I got an email from her yesterday. Quoting her: "Mother hasn't had any food other than a couple of bites of jello a day for the past 3 weeks and I am surprised she is still with us." I know at some point all of are going to face or have faced similar issues. My heart just tugs for her and her family. Any vibes or good thoughts or prayers that you can send Kaye and her family's way I would certainly appreciated.

Next on the blog is a chance for you to get McTicked:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/01/17/teens-charity-name-draws-the-mcire-of-mcdonalds/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com%2Fblog%2F2010%2F01%2F17%2Fteens-charity-name-draws-the-mcire-of-mcdonalds%2F

Doesn't it seem a bit much that a corporate giant is going after a charity that has done nothing but good work and named the charity based on her own name? Or do you agree with the corporation that they have to protect their trademark? Did the young woman choose the name of her charity because of the popularity of the corporate name?

My take is that the only ones that are benefiting in this ridiculous argument are the attorneys. Seems that the five grand that the young lady had to spend on attorneys would have been better spent for either Special Olympics or Haiti Relief. What side are you on? Hers or or the corporation?

On to the good story. Well, not a story but a video. Pat probably already has seen this rescue a thousand times but it is such a heartwarming story. The fireman was bit, did suffer some injuries, but I think has been released from the hospital. He was quoted as saying he didn't really have time to make friends with the dog and the dog was just doing what scared dogs do. Good for the fireman. I hope they are able to reunite the dog with his family.

What do you think of the rescue? A waste of resources or an act of heroism? I am going with heroism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEU3kPlCdw

Tomorrow on the blog is the day for your update. I am also going to write about Pompe Disease and the movie Extraordinary Measures. Today it is lunch with cousins, sis and her husband, and Mom. Tonight it is the SAG awards. Tomorrow it is GO SAINTS. Hope this is a relaxing and rewarding day for you.

6 comments:

dona said...

First off, Hugs, prayers, good thoughts and a lot of love is on its way toward Kaye & her family. My heart is also with you Kaye.

Next, don't even get me started on the Corporate Giant. McDonald's has just pushed a bit too much on similar stories as this and others. I have plenty to say on this subject but don't want to make it about myself, as it is about this exceptional young lady.
So I will leave it that I am certainly McTicked.

Pat said...

Lots of good and supportive vibes going out to Kaye. This has to be a very hard time for her. I only hope her mother is being kept comfortable at this time.

As to the McD's thing, it's all too silly. But really, all she had to do was withdraw the trademark application, and she probably should have known better than to try to trademark it in the first place. Nobody objected to her using the "Mc" until then. Still, shame on McDonald's and a little finger wag at the girl for overreaching.

You're right, I did see the dog rescue footage more than I needed to, plus it was in the paper this morning. I'll go with heroism, too. Why not?

Lady DR said...

Bill, please pass my prayers and positive thoughts on to Kaye, along with hugs for her and her family. Been there, done that and there's no easy way to get through it, but she's got all my suport.

As to McD's -- I think we're back to big money and big corps. As Pat said, it may not have been an issue if the gal hadn't gone for a trademark, but how does McDonald get by with saying anything starting with a "Mc"is theirs? The only ones making money are the attorneys. The whole thing is nuts. What kind of thrat is a local fund-raiser == which has successfully suported a cause McD also supports? I think McD's suit should be pitched from court or wherever it is and the charity gal reimbursed all expenses. What would be really interesting is to know why she decided to trademark McFest and who her advisors were. Gee, maybe we could start using "McStupid" for stuff like this.

I hadn't seen the video on the dog rescue. Did the dog jump off the bridge? Waste of reources? Not to me, but then I'm a sucker for critters, so maybe not objective.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

You can post anything here anytime you want no matter how long it is.

I'm probably one of the few people that was glad that elderly lady got ten million from Mc for the coffee spill. Served them right for not changing the temp on the coffee after 50,000 injuries in one year.

And I personally like posts about yourself!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I wonder if there is some benefit to her charity having a trademark. Less confusion with another charity, for example. Ensuring donations going to the right place, for example. If there isn't a benefit to having the trademark then she should have backed off. MCDonalds could have just let it slide too.

I agree with you on the heroism!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I was wondering how McDonalds gets away with having all the Mcs too. And in this case it was her name. I love your idea of throwing out the case and having the you lady remimbursed! Think we could trademark McStupid?

On the rescue Pat would problem be a better person to answer you but from my days in LA the LA river is a river that usually has no water in it. When it rains it fills up extremely fast. The dog just might have been in the dry river before the rain started and when the rain started couldn't get out fast enough.

I would rather dogs be rescued then some people!

Bill