Tuesday, January 5, 2010

An All Wet Start To A Day

I didn't post an entry yesterday because I just didn't have anything to write about. Sometimes you get what you wish for and it turns out not to be a good thing. I have something to write about today thanks to an early morning household problem. Thank God my brother-in-law was here to help me fix the problem and bail me out. I have a three bedroom, two and a half bath townhouse. Two bathrooms upstairs, half of bathroom downstairs. When I went into the downstairs bathroom to do my morning weighing, I stepped on the scale and felt water hit my head. Looked up at the ceiling and there was definitely water coming down. Dripping not flowing. I called my brother-in-law and he immediately came out. We determined that a bolt on the upstairs commode had worn out and loosened. That caused a leakage out of the tank and on the floor of the upstairs bathroom, which in turn leaked down to the downstairs bathroom. It was a mess. But with Bob's help we got it fixed. Just not a good way to start the money but it did give me something to write about!

How did your day start out?

Looking for interesting stories I found one about buying a car. It is titled "Five Things You Should Know About Car Salesmen." You can read the full article here:

http://autos.aol.com/article/car-salesman-facts?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl6|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fautos.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fcar-salesman-facts

Just the highlights.:

1. He needs you more than you need him.

2. He is not really in control.

3. No matter what he says or does, it's probably all an act.

4. He can't be fully trusted.

5. There are honest car salesmen.

There now with that information you can run out a buy a new car!

Here is the good story for a day. Fast Food employees come to the rescue. I now feel safer when I am eating a Frosty,

http://www.slashfood.com/2010/01/04/wendys-employees-save-customers-life/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl3|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slashfood.com%2F2010%2F01%2F04%2Fwendys-employees-save-customers-life%2F

Tomorrow we will get back to old blog entries but today tell me if you trust car salesmen. Any salesman? And do you feel safer now when you order that Big Mac?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Good stories, Bill. That car-buying site has very useful information.

No, I wouldn't trust any car salesman as far as I could throw him. And I trust the "business manager" even less, if possible. But on the other side of the coin, I once dated a car salesman, and I remember one sale when he tried as hard as he could to talk an older woman out of buying a used car he knew would need major repairs in the near future. But she loved the car and she bought it in spite of his warnings.

Will I feel safer eating fast food now? Wish I could say yes. Kudos to that particular Wendy's crew, though. I'd eat there.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I wouldn't trust salesmen either, about the only salespeople I do trust are the cosmetic sales ladies at Macy's or Nordstrom's.

I understand the car salesman that tried to discourage the elderly lady not to buy a car, I can't tell you the number of times that I told someone they really didn't need a CPA, they needed someone less expensive, and still they hired me.

I feel just a little safer at Wendy's.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Bummer on the bathroom, Bill. Glad b-i-l was there to help resolve the issue.

Car salesmen? Don't really trust them. We generally deal with CarMax, primarily because the prices are "no haggle/fixed" and it's my understanding the salesmen work mostly on salary, although I'm sure there are bonuses and the like for sales. Still, we've never felt pressured. They've always been very good about service and any problems we may have found after we got home (like the missing cargo cover on the station wagon, which they immediately ordered and installed). Too, we can check them online and usually know what car/cars we're interested in before we ever walk onto the lot. As to the business mgr, we usually have the money already set, one way or another. We don't do extended warranties and all the extras. If you want an extended warranty later, you can usually buy it directly from the car manufacturer.

Good for the guys at Wendy's. Still, no, doesn't make me feel any safer in a fast food place than I did before.

My day was off to a quiet, normal start. It was the afternoon visit with Coleman Ford, when we learned it was going to cost a small fortune to replace the windshield motor and switch that kind of put a downhill slide on the day (wry s).

William J. said...

Hi DR

I like the idea of no haggle/fixed prices.

I don't know, I find some comfort in the fact that employees at Wendy's knew what to do in a crisis.

Ouch, what an awful end to a day!

Bill