Saturday, January 2, 2010

You Be The Judge

I took down my 2009 calendars today and put up 2010 ones. Does that mean that I have officially moved on to the new year? Or will putting that dreadful 2009 in the history books have to wait until I send my 2009 tax returns to the IRS and the State? I do feel like the old year is history as we speak and it feels like a new day and a new year. Now if someone could just figure out what to call 2010. 2-10? 20-10? 2010? 2 ought 10? What are you calling it?

Today's previous blog entry is actually my favorite. It is the one that generated the most comments of any post in the history of the blog. It is the one where I simply asked you to post a little bio in the comment section so that we could all get to know each other a little better. And you did. We found out a diverse group was following the blog and it has gotten better since then with more additions to the faithful. Here is the link to the that post. Remember to read the comments because that is what makes this particular post:

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2008/08/ssa-swing-vote-and-who-are-you.html

Since I haven't got much to write about today I am just going to report in on some stories that were in the early edition of The Sunday Oregonian. Over the last decade deaths while driving drunk have declined but deaths from driving under the influence of drugs has increased. Over the last decades serious injuries from both have increased. One thing I learned from the article is that in Oregon even though the blood level for being considered drunk is .08 if you are under 21 you are considered drunk if there is any booze in your system. That means a taste could get a teen arrested for drunk driving. Most often though police will give a minor in possession citation and not a drunk driving ticket if the teen has a low blood alcohol level.

Next up is what the U.S. Supreme Court will be doing at times during the new year. They are going to tackle cases that could influence the first and second amendments. One case the Supreme Court is expected to hear asks the question, "Does a government violate the First Amendment when it bans corporations from spending their own money on political campaigns? Another case askes the question, "Do cities and state violate the Second Amendment when they ban gun possession?

The questions for the day. Is the law that says teens are considered drunk if they have any alcohol in their blood stream fair? My answer is yes. I just think it is good to do whatever we can to not put a teen in car drunk especially when they have a cell phone and due to their condition might try texting.

In the next two questions you get to play Judge. Does the government violate the First Amendment when it bans corporations from spending their own money on political campaigns? I am going to say no. It is a government by the people and for the people not by the corporations and for the corporations. Does it violate the Second Amendment when cities and states ban guns? This is harder for me. I don't own a gun and won't allow one in my house. However, I have no right to ban you from having one in your household. I also believe in government at the most local level making decisions for the people at that level not some doofus miles away in Washington, D.C. That is why I am conflicted by this but I am going to say that it does violate the Second Amendment when cities and states ban guns.

The last two questions are easy. What are you calling twenty ten? Do you have a ceremony like taking down 2009 calendars to officially put last year in the history books?

And for those of you that are new to the blog if you want to post your bio like all of us did on the previous post of the day, go for it!

12 comments:

Pat said...

Okay, here goes. Questions taken back-to-front: I have no New Year ceremony. The year is called "twenty-ten". I have this on good authority from a radio talk show guy who insists on it. Why? Because "two thousand ten" is too many syllables. I'm down with that.

Banning guns is a question I try to avoid discussions of. I'd be delighted if all guns disappeared from the face of the earth, but it won't happen. I think assault and automatic weapons should be banned, not so sure about handguns for home protection, but there should be serious scrutiny of anyone buying one and strict laws about re-selling or giving them away.

There's a whole thing going on that I don't fully understand about denying corporations "personhood", and I think I'm in favor of that. A corp. is not a person and should not have the rights of one, as far as political donations go, at any rate.

I think the current 0.8 limit for blood alcohol is too low, and that it was reasonable at 1.0. I think arresting a teen who's had a sip of something is a little draconian. I wish they'd really get tough about cell phones and texting while driving. That would contribute more to safety, IMO.

Oh, and it seems that comments are disabled on the older posts, as I couldn't get any from the "who are you?" in that '08 one.

Lady DR said...

What fun to go back through the message where we all "got acquainted." Thanks for sharing it with us again. Chatty little group that day, weren't we?

Marking ending/beginning of year/ decade. Yesterday I took all my journal pages for 2009 out to the shed, to remove any negative energy in them from my environment. Today, I made sure I'd transferred notes from last years desk calendar, filed it away and have my fresh one at my elbow. Don't do wall calendars.

Teens and drunk driving -- it may sound extreme, but if it teaches them a lesson, I don't have a problem with it. Responsibility for actions -- they're drinking illegally. That was enough of a problem twenty years ago, but add cell phones and texting distraction to possibly impaired reflexes and thinking and it's not a pretty picture.

I don't think it's a violation of the First Amendment to ban corporations from donations. I think their ability to do so has resulted in some negative ramifications. Most indiividuals cannot come close to matching what corps donate. Money talks. I'm afraid I feel the corporations are running the decision making process in Congress, rather than individual constituents, as they fill the war chests for re-elections and such.

Will continue in second msg, as the blog says this is too long.

Lady DR said...

I do feel banning guns is a violation of the Second Ammendment, but that may be upbringing, background and experience. Born and raised rural, Daddy had a gun for critters who threatened the livestock, although he hated killing anything. My uncle was a hunter, not for sport but for food on the table and to thin the coyotes, when they began ravaging livestock in the area. In AK, many hunted for subsistence. One carried a gun on a boat, because if you hooked a halibut over 70#, you had to shoot it before bringing it on board, or it would destroy the boat and the fisherpeople. Here in SC, many people still do subsistence hunting. There's also the fact that periodically deer or other animals need to be reduced, so they don't die of starvation. In addition, Himself's father was a gunsmith and he has many collectibles. He also was champion of the Army sharp shooting team and enjoys target range shooting with a friend. I had a gun when I lived in an apt in a marginal area of Mpls and it probably saved me from a break-in and worse, according to the cops.

Gun ownership is a responsibility, as well as a right. You need to know your guns, know how to use them safely and use them rseponsibily. Ours are never loaded, although the ammo is beside the gun in the bedroom drawer. Himself recently applied for a license to carry "concealed," which allows us to have one in the RV, if we're going to remote locations or such. To get the license, he took a ten hour class, including some reality checks for those who didn't realize they were actually asking for a license to kill another human being, if the need arose, an what that meant.

The Second Amendment gives the right to bear arms. You can pass all the legislation you want to ban guns and the "bad guys" will still always have them for negative reasons. I agree with Pat about serious scrutiny, but it isn't going to happen. I don't believe the gov't, at any level, has the right to take away guns from the "good guys" who use them to put food on the table or enjoy target shooting on ranges or, if necessary, protect their homes and families. We've had coyotes come to the fence line of our property. Had they entered the yard and gone after Skeeter, Himself could have dealt with it. Right now, coyotes are creating serious problems about forty miles from here with livestock and they're actually asking hunters to help them. The reality is that excess development has eliminated much of the coyote's natural habitat and removed their natural sources of food, so they're going after livestock and small pets. Progress is often not kind or beneficial to our wildlife.

Sorry, will put away soapbox.

Twenty-ten. It's about the only thing that isn't too much of a mouthful.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I tried the link again and it worked. It also seems to have worked for DR. So I am stumped.

Twenty-ten it is then!

I would also be delighted if all guns disappeared. I also think it will never happen and I not only agree with the scrutiny but also a longer waiting period. We also agree on the corporations not being people!

It did used to be 1.0, Oregon was the second state to lower the level to .08 and soon all states followed. Since I don't drink anymore I'm not sure how many drinks translate to .08.

Bill

dona said...

Gee Bill, I had forgotten that post with all the comments. I liked it. Nice to read again to see where everyone is.

I also take my 2009 calendars down, but only if I have a 2010 to put in its place. I usually keep 2 up and one is always an Elvis Calendar, and so far I don't have a new one. (Santa didn't come here, guess I was bad..:)
But I do have my beautiful Oregon Calendar up and that for me is also a fresh start.

I agree with DR on Teens & Drunk Driving....& I really wish something would be done about the cells & texting too. I just can't get over how easy it seems to be for the kids to drink anymore. I guess it was always easy, but it seems the choice nowadays is to drink to get drunk as there is nothing else to do...seems a waste to me.

I am a bit mixed on the gun banning. I worry with one in the house, but then also have never not had one in the house. For protection or other. My uncle who lived in this house was also a hunter for food, so I am used to guns. I also think there should be strict laws on selling and re-selling...but I think it has already gotten beyond that.

2010? I have no idea what I will use. But Twenty-Ten sounds good.

William J. said...

Hi DR

It is been a cleansing experience to go back old blog entries and pick out some of my favorites. You all have been such a big part of my life!!

Sounds like you are fully in to twenty-ten!

Corporations are running the country and that is what just bugs the heck out of me.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

We also had guns when we were young. I even went hunting in the eighth grad and beyond. But one day I woke up and decided I no longer believed in guns and never touched another one.

What interesting facts about Himself!

Gun ownership is a responsibility and anyone that owns one should not only be required to take a safety class but should have to have a renewal class anually. Also in some states you they don't do background checks at gun shows so anyone can buy a gun there including those just recently released from prison and gang members. That needs to stop.

Coyotes are actually creating a problem everywhere. The actually come into residential neighborhoods now and again here. There are way to many of them. I know when Katie was alived a coyote that went after her wouldn't have been safe from me.
Gun or no gun.

You soap box is welcome here anytime!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona!

How is The Shankster?

I love that you have an Elvis calendar! I am glad you put the Oregon one to good use!

Put me in the corner of teen and cell phones and texting! Something needs to be done about that and it was here. As of 1-1 it is a primary offense to use a cell phone while driving, including texting. A primary offense means they can stop you for that alone and issue you a hundred and forty buck ticket. In a lot of states it isn't a primary offense meaning they can only ticket you for cell phone use if they stop you for another offense.

Happy twenty-ten!!

Bill

Pat said...

Bill, I couldn't get comments when I used the link in today's blog, but when I went back into the archives for that day, I could. Wow! We sure got chatty that day, didn't we? Interesting to pick up on things I had forgotten about almost everyone.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I appreciate your dedication and wow are you ever becoming blog savvy!

I had forgotten a lot of the information too!

Bill

Mary said...

And I was horrified to discover that Dona asked how to read my blog that day, and I never saw her message! Bad Mary! Dona, if you still are interested, email me and I'll give you the password. Sorry, I swear I wasn't ignoring you! There was a lot of talking going on that day!

pralls AT that gmail place

William J. said...

Hi Mary

A lot going on that day. I emailed Dona with your email address, hope that is OK.

Bill