Thursday, January 14, 2010

Devastation

Thousands killed, thousands more injured, buildings and homes destroyed in an already extremely poor nation. As many as three million people effected. Watching the news on television or reading the news in the morning papers how can you not be shocked and touched. What would it be like to be to afraid to go into a building to get your belongings? Or not being able to find a loved one or friend or even a pet? How to you recover from such devastation? Haiti was dealing with enough even before the earthquake as the following article points out:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article6987094.ece

The Huffington Post has a list of organizations that are helping. If you want to help you can contact one of the organizations in the following article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/12/haiti-earthquake-relief-h_n_421014.html

Say your prayers, muster up all the good and positive vibes that you can and send them not only Haiti's direction but also the direction to all the areas in the United States where relatives are waiting to hear from the loved ones they have living, visiting, or stationed in Haiti.

I've been in earthquakes before. A 6.9 one in Los Angeles several years ago. Fortunately we lived a long way from the center of the earthquake but even being fifty miles away our house shook and swayed and the water in our swimming pool ended up in our neighbors yard. That was heard enough to deal with. I remember heading for the doors, that is what they told you to do, get under a desk our stand under a door way. The earthquake lasted seconds, the fear last months.

Ever been in an earthquake? Do you fear one in the future? Right now I don't fear an earthquake I am just using all my energy hoping Haiti recovers and recovers quickly.

6 comments:

Pat said...

The situation in Haiti is beyond awful. I'll join you in sending all possible good wishes for the people, and will, in fact, part with some money to try to help.

I've been in three major quakes. Two 6-something ones while in my old house, both centered less than 8 miles from me. And oddly enough, 2 years after I moved into this house, about 20 miles from the old one, there was another 6+ less than 8 miles from HERE. I really thought they might be following me.

Since the last ones were 17 years apart, I figure I'm in for it again in 2011.

Lady DR said...

The devastation and destruction are unbelievable. Himself just said the latest reports have increased the number feared dead and that rescue workers were having trouble reaching the island and there was no idea how long it might take to even reach the outlying areas, once there were on-island. I cannot imagine what the people there must be going through, particularly considering the pitiful conditions they were living under on a day-to-day basis.

The closest I came to an earthquake were tremors in Juneau, from a quake out at sea. Hearing the china and crystal rattle, seeing the ceiling fixtures swaying and feeling like I was standing on a ship in rough water were more than enough for me.

Certainly prayers for those on Haiti and those awaiting news of friends and relatives who are there. Also prayers that from these horrible disaster may come a new island, a new perspective and a new culture for the many who've suffered through years of deprivation and want and abuse.

I missed posting yesterday, so will simply say that if I won the lottery, the money would go to a foundation to help the elsderly, not just in major issues but in the day-to-day quality of life that many have lost, often through no fault of their own. Not just medical care, but addressing their ability to get out and about, get to shopping, to cultural events, to fun "stuff" that would make their lives more meaningful. I guess a sort of "Make a Wish" foundation for seniors that includes everything from a caretaker in every home where needed to residences that provided assisted living and positive amenities at affordable rates to consistently available transportation to those who can live alone, but are restricted because they can't drive.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I certainly hope there isn't an earthquake in 2011. We had a couple of earthquakes here but there weren't anywhere near the ones I was in in LA. The worst disaster here besides the volcano eruption was a flood.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

The devastation seems to get worse every day too. The numbers seem to increase every day.

I heard on the news that the Navy was going to try landing by small boats.

I join you in your well thought out prayers!

Make A Wish for seniors would also be high on my list. What a great idea.

Bill

Mary said...

I've been in earthquakes, oh yes I have. Our last big one was a 7.0. I remember the 6.5 one when I was a little girl. And dozens of littler ones when I lived in Japan and Los Angeles. I do not like them. But I do feel incredibly fortunate that if I'm going to live in a place that has them, we can afford to build buildings that will stand up in them. We did not have one single death here in our 7.0 earthquake. So incredibly lucky.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

The one that I was in, in LA was a 6.9, there were four deaths. I was in a 6.0 here where there was no deaths. People hate government control but without the safety codes they enforce the devastation would have been awful.

The national disaster near here that caused the most devastation and deaths was the Mt. St. Helens eruption.

Bill