Friday, January 8, 2010

Fasten Your Seat Belt.

The good story is a wonderful idea! Now if they can expand it to include dogs!

http://www.beavertonvalleytimes.com/news/story.php?story_id=126283229821305600

Do you sometimes feel that your life is on a treadmill and you not only need to fasten you seatbelt but everyone else's? I bemoaned the fact yesterday that I didn't have an act of kindness yet this year and almost before I posted the entry I went off on the kindness treadmill. Yesterday I went over to take Mom out to lunch. An hour deal most of the time. This time it over five hours for me to get back home. As we were driving to Wendy's for their famous chili and baked potatoes my cell phone rang. It was my nephew. He was in a car accident. He was rear ended while he was at a stop sign. He was hit so hard that it knocked his seat belt loose. His car was totaled. Fortunately, he wasn't hurt. Sure he has some stiffness and some aches and pains but he wasn't hurt. No blood. Of course I turned the car around and stopped at a closer fast food restaurant so Mom could eat something on the way to the accident site. I took my nephew to the rental car place so he could get a car and get back to work. On the way to Hertz my nephew mentioned he had to take the accident report to the DMV to have it recorded. The DMV is in Sherwood. I live in Sherwood. I didn't have to get back to work. So I told him I would take the report to the DMV and I did. Can I count standing in line at the DMV for someone else as an act of kindness?

Before going to the DMV I dropped Mom off at home. I didn't want her to wait that long in a car or sitting. Plus at her age she sometimes she doesn't handle stress like her grandson being in an accident well. She needed rest. After the lady at the DMV made a copy of the accident report I took it back to my Mom's where my nephew stays three nights a week. The lady at the DMV told me how important it was for my nephew to store that copy of the accident report in a safe place. Then at some point if he gets accused of not filing an accident report, he has proof that he did and won't lose his license. When I dropped of the copy of the report at Mom's, she wasn't feeling well. The stress had kind of gotten to her. I did some things to get her blood pressure and sugar down. Then sat with her a while until she got better. That took a couple of hours. What a lunch that turned out to be!

Speaking of fastening your seatbelts sometimes on my blog I talk about my meager dating life and sometimes it isn't pretty. Today's old blog entry is about me blowing it on a date and you all making be feel better about it:

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2009/08/dating-snafuyour-updates.html

Does your lifetime sometimes take an unexpected return? Do little errands sometimes turn into a treadmill of events? Do you sometimes feel like you need to be seat belted in to navigate life? And should that seat belt come with instructions?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Great thing they are doing for cat owners, but I join you in hoping they do it for dog owners, too. I wonder if there's anything similar here. Must check on that.

Re: your questions... oh, yes, my life often takes unexpected turns, and little errands sometimes turn into treadmills. Like yesterday when I drove three friends to Pasadena for a lunch & art exhibit outing. There was a Rose Bowl game that day, unbeknownst to us, and those darned fanatic football fans totally tied up traffic more than four hours before the game was due to start. Sheesh!

I definitely need to be seatbelted into life.

Love that old post about the seatbelts, btw. I still can't seem to get comments, even when I go the the post via archives, but I hope we told you that if the woman in question didn't just laugh at the explanation, she wasn't worth your time.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

They closed schools in Pasadena yesterday, instead of a snow day they had a bowl day. It was the championship game and the schools were afraid if they had school parents would be able to get to the school to pickup their kids so they closed schools for the day. All school kids from kindergarten through college got an extra day vacation.

And you did tell me she wasn't worth my time!!

Bill

Pat said...

A "bowl day"? How funny. All any of my little group knew was that one of the teams was Alabama. Later that evening, when I got to Las Casitas, the chef was rooting for Alabama, where he came from, so that became my team for the night. I did better with that one than when I rooted for the Ducks for you.

I'm glad I told you she wasn't worth your time way back then. [g]

William J. said...

Hi

I didn't do very well with either, my Ducks stunk and last night I rooted for Texas. You are doing better than I am.

Bill

Lady DR said...

LOL. I remember the date and the seat belt. And I still think it was a cute, sweet gesture, even if not everyone involved felt the same. (g).

I think some places do include dogs in their food programs, but suspect most figure the homebound are more likely to have cats, which don't require regular walks?

I do sometimes feel like I'm on a treadmill, but not as you describe. Like I'm moving and not getting anyplace. Gradually changing that.

HOw great that you were able to help your nephew and thank goodness he wasn't hurt, despite the car being totalled. Sort of deju vu with what I related Christmas week with my nephew. And also great you were able to take care of the "paperwork" issues, so he could get back to work. Standing in line anywhere, for anyone else, is definitely an act of kindness, along with all the other stuff you did.

As to unexpected turns in life, there are plenty of those. Yes, there are times it seems a seatbelt would be a good idea and even better if it came with instructions!

How funny about closing the schools for "Bowl Day." I've never heard of that.

William J. said...

Hi DR

If she could have seen the humor in it instead of branding me a sexiest that needs to help the little lady I might have found the match.

Good point about walking the dogs, plus the organization involved in this program is the Cat Adoption Team that only takes care of cats.

I think we all feel sometimes like we are going fast and getting nowhere.

Isn't it amazing how close the incidents with our nephews were?

I had never heard of bowl days either but one of the blogs I go to is based in Pasadena and she wrote about it on her blog.

Bill