Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Angels and Lotteries.

Here is part three in the three part story about the abuse of a twelve year-old girl by her dad written by Stephen Mayes for The Oregonian. In the final segment Ashley's story ends up with Angels In The Outfield. Ashley not only ends up with a new life and caring foster parents she becomes Justice.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2010/01/ashleys_courage_inspires_prose.html

Ashley is not only a hero in my book but also an angel for inspiring help for others that find themselves in the same situation that she was in. I am so glad she is finally getting to be a kid.

I've always said that I have several Angels looking over me. My cousin Debbie that died at the age of 14 from a rare form of Leukemia. My Aunts, Clara, Ella, Emily, Augusta, and Nola. They were my dad's five sisters. And of course my main man angel, my dad. Today's older blog entry is a tribute to my dad on this past Fathers' Day.

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2009/06/memories-of-dad.html

I do hope my angels are watching over me today as I participate in one of my occupations, future lottery winner. I could use a cool thirty million. According to an article on CNN Money, starting January 31 of this year the lotteries are going to produce more winners and smaller jackpots. Why? Because twenty-three states and Washington D.C. will be selling Mega Millions in addition to Powerball tickets. According to the article that will result in more players but smaller jackpots. This will lead to more 100 to 150 million dollar jackpots and less 300 million jackpots. The Powerball states that will offer Mega Millions tickets at the end of the month: Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, New Hampshire, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Wisconsin and West Virginia. California and Ohio may join the list later on.

I really don't agree that the jackpots will get smaller, I think just the opposite will happen. The jackpots will get larger. In the states selling both Mega Millions and Powerball I think Mega Millions players will take away from Powerball players. I don't see very many playing both. They will play the one with the biggest jackpot. Be interesting to see how this unfolds.

However, if you want a giant jackpot don't worry because eventually you will be able to play in a national lottery for two to five bucks and the jackpot will be as high as five hundred million. You will have to wait until December of 2011 for that five hundred million.

Who are your angels? If you won the lottery what charity would you be an angel for? Do you agree with CNN that there will be more winners in the states selling both lotteries or do you agree with me that there will be fewer winners? And are you impressed by Ashley's strength after suffering years of abuse?

My answers. I would start my own foundation and dole out money for abused women and children, for organ transplants, for money for the care of the elderly that can't afford to pay for their own care, for cancer research, and for numerous other needs. And yes I am extremely impressed with both Ashley and the prosecutor in her case.

4 comments:

Pat said...

I don't believe in angels, but I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

I have long thought the Lottery here (not familiar with any others) should have more and smaller prizes. If they improved the odds of winning something, I might actually buy the occasional ticket. And I'd be quite happy with a measly $1 million or even $100K, thankyewverymuch.

I have no idea what I'd do, charitably speaking, if I won a huge amount of money. Since I don't buy Lottery tix, there's no point thinking about such possibilities. However, if a miracle happened, I'm sure the main problem would be deciding among all the worthy choices.

I'm impressed with both Ashley and the prosecutor, too, and very happy to read that Ashley is enjoying her new life.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

We disagree about angels because our life experiences are different. Neither one of us is either right or wrong.

I am very happy that Ashley has a new life but didn think it was telling that for her birthday she wanted something that was normally for people half her age.

Bill

Pat said...

Hmmm... I don't know about that. Either there are angels or there are not, so one of us has to be right. I still hope it's you. {g}

Yes, interesting about Ashley's choice, but it may be a good thing that she's catching up on all she's missed.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

We will never know because it might take the beyond before we find out about angels.

Bill