Wednesday, January 20, 2010

DMV

Three letters that strike fear in many. Three letters that gives people the image of non-caring, lazy government employees just there to fill out the day. Well, that stereotype certainly didn't hold true today.

Mom's license expires tomorrow. We needed to renew both her handicap certificate and get her an id card since she doesn't want to drive anymore. We got to the DMV at eight this morning. At one past eight a really nice gentleman helped us. He treated Mom with the utmost of respect. Looked at Mom's papers, got them in order, and told us we also needed Mom's birth certificate. We had to go to the bank when it opened to get the birth certificate. However, the nice gentleman did a couple of things so when we returned it would go really fast for us. He gave mom her eye exam, which she passed. He then entered the results of the eye exam into their system so when we returned one additional step would be saved. Then he gave us a get out of jail free card for when we returned. The card basically allows you to go to the front of the line when you return. Rather than pull out a service number you become the next person helped. We left and run a couple of errands to wait for the bank to open. I was pretty sure Mom's birth certificate wasn't going to be there. Mom said it would be, she knew she had it. I'm thinking, nope we are going to have to write Montana. I went into the bank, got the safe deposit box and went through it. My birth certificate was right on top of all papers. At the bottom of the papers was Mom's birth certificate. I was stunned. We went back to the DMV. We were able to stand in a box. It was an area on the floor painted yellow. If anyone stands in that box they get helped next. A really nice lady called us immediately, asked for the get of jail card. She put everything together. Took Mom's check for forty bucks and sent us over to the photo area. Everyone has to have a photo taken. They won't use the old one. The lady taking pictures there was also great. The third one in a row at the DMV to treat Mom with the utmost of respect. She had a great sense of humor and like the other two DMV employees was very efficient. Because we had to go to the bank to get the certificate and make a copy of it the DMV excursion took most of the morning. However, I am betting that we were at the actual DMV office less than an hour.

As to other customrers there? They were great too. A couple of high school aged African-American kids held the door for us as I pushed Mom through the door. They weren't at the door either. They were seated a bit of a ways from the door but got up and came over to the door to help. I often complain about how some teens are poorly mannered. Not this time.

Having you ever dreaded going somewhere thinking it would be a terrible experience only to have it turn out one of the nicest mornings you have had in a while? Even Mom said afterwards, "I hate to say this, but that was fun!"

4 comments:

Pat said...

I can't say I've ever enjoyed the DMV experience, but since they allowed appointments, it has been better than it used to be.

I did luck out last time I had to renew, because I was in a wheelchair with a broken ankle. When I went to take the test, they took me to the front of the line, and ditto when it came time to get my test graded. I resolved that next time I have to do that, I shall put the "boot" back on and rent a wheelchair for the occasion.

I've had plenty of things I dreaded turn out to be not so bad after all, but can't think of any good examples at the moment. I don't think I've ever had a dreaded experience turn out all THAT pleasant, though. Good for you and mom. You must have really good karma.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Appointments would be a good idea here too. Even though it worked for us without one.

Renting a wheelchair is a great idea! I like the evilness of it.

I don't know if we have good karma or not but Mom always seems to attract a lot of attention. She has one of those kind faces.

Bill

Lady DR said...

How great that things went so well at DMV, even if it did take some time, what with the trip to the bank and all. Can't saw we've had particularly "positive" experiences with our DMV here, although they are trying to improve and the wait isn't as long as usual. Getting Mom and ID card, since she'd let her AK license expire, was a nightmare, although most of the folks were pretty friendly and helpful, as I recall.

Like Pat, I know there have been times I've dreaded something that's turned out not to be as bad as expected, but such experiences currently escape me.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I expected a nightmare getting Mom and id card too but it just went so well.

I've learned some new things about Mom this week. I always thought she was a little serious but Monday when I did the wrong shoe thing she laughed and said it started everyone's day out well. Then today haveing fun at the DMV shocked me.

Bill