Monday, January 18, 2010

Award Winning Style



I suppose I could say that I was celebrating Martin Luther King's birthday by putting black and white together. That, however, wouldn't be the truth. I could maybe say I was starting a new trend in men's style. That neither would be the truth. I got a late start this morning and punctuality is high on my list. So I hurried. I dressed really fast. I dressed in the dark. When I got to Mom's I looked down and had two different shoes on. The foot doctor is close to Mom's and if I went home to put on the right combination of shoes we would have been late to the doctor. I asked Mom if she would be embarrassed if I went to the doctor as is. She thought it was hysterical. Off we went to our appointment which we made with three minutes to spare. The doctor's wife is his receptionist, I confessed to her what happened. The doctor overheard. They both laughed. I did tell them that I had a pair of shoes just like the ones I was wearing at home. After our procedures I dropped Mom off at her house and came home to properly dress. What would you have done? Would you have went home and changed your shoes and been late? Or would have you done the incurable doofus thing and showed up in a stunning new style? What would have been more important to you, being dressed properly or being on time?

The Golden Globe Awards were on last night and for the first time we on the West Coast got to see the award show live! Ricky Gervais was the host and he did a credible job. He took some pretty good shots at Mel Gibson and Angelina Jolie. I had eight right and seven wrong on my predictions. I have to ask how in the heck does a movie like The Hangover win an award and an incredible movie like The Hurt Locker get shut out?

Other thoughts. Jeff Bridges deserved his standing ovation. Meryl Streep was as classy as ever. Mo'Nique was very gracious. Robert Downey, JR has come a long ways. He was given a second chance and ran with it. Kevin Bacon didn't look all that well. A big cheer for Michael C. Hall and his battle with cancer. Drew Barrymore acted and dressed a little weird. Who chose Chloƫ Sevigny's outfit? Fire him or her. Jason Reitman gave a humbling and classy speech. John Lithgow is always professionally understated for a man of his talents. And lets see a lot more of Christoph Waltz. Finally let's all celebrate that two women over forty got best actress awards! Way to go Meryl and Sandra!!

Did you watch the Globes? What film got shut out that you thought should win?

A list of the awards:

FILM

Best motion picture, drama: "Avatar"

Actress, drama: Sandra Bullock, "The Blind Side"

Actor, drama: Jeff Bridges, "Crazy Heart"

Best motion picture, musical or comedy: "The Hangover"

Actress, musical or comedy: Meryl Streep, "Julie & Julia"

Actor, musical or comedy: Robert Downey Jr., "Sherlock Holmes"

Actress, supporting: Mo'Nique, "Precious"

Actor, supporting: Christoph Waltz, "Inglourious Basterds"

Animated film: "Up"

Foreign language film: "The White Ribbon"

Director: James Cameron, "Avatar"

Screenplay: Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner, "Up in the Air"

Best original score: Michael Giacchino, "Up"

Best original song: "The Weary Kind," "Crazy Heart"

TELEVISION

Best series, drama: "Mad Men"

Actress, drama: Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife"

Actor, drama: Michael C. Hall, "Dexter"

Best series, comedy: "Glee"

Actress, comedy or musical: Toni Collette, "United States of Tara"

Actor, comedy or musical: Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"

Best miniseries or motion picture: "Grey Gardens "

Actress, miniseries or motion picture: Drew Barrymore, "Grey Gardens"

Actor, miniseries or motion picture: Kevin Bacon, "Taking Chance"

Actress in a supporting role: Chloƫ Sevigny, "Big Love"

Actor in a supporting role: John Lithgow, "Dexter"

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Bill, thanks for the updates on Mary and Kaye. I'm so sorry to hear what she's going through.

As to the shoes... I'd probably have done what you did. Fortuantely, rarely an issue, since anything that's not my running shoes is usually in a shoe box, usually matching (g). But, yeah, good for you, going on to the app't and giving everyone a chuckle. I do remember dressing for work in semi-dark, building everything around the blue slacks that turned out to be blue. It didn't work real well as a fashion statement.

Didn't watch the Globes, but have a question. Don't recall anyone here commenting on Avatar -- seen it? Liked it? I was somewhat concerned when Himself said one of the commentators stated this was the wave of the future and would mean the end of a need for any quantitiy of "human" actors/actresses. Since neither of us have seen the film, do any of you think this was a valid assessment?

Pat said...

I loved the shoe story. I'd have done what you did, and I'd have used the Martin Luther King Day story if I'd been smart enough to think of it.

One of my composers one day realized on the scoring stage where he was conducting an orchestra that he had on one brown shoe and one black one. We gave him a good ribbing, but really I doubt anyone would have noticed if he hadn't told us. I thought he should leave it because we had fun with it, but he went home at lunchtime and changed. He had dressed in the dark and didn't want to wake his wife.

I only watched the first hour of the Globes, then switched to Desperate Housewives. I recorded the rest, but will probably not bother to watch it. I like Ricky Gervais, but he didn't get as acerbic as I expected, at least in that hour. I haven't seen enough of the movies to have an opinion, but DR, they used real actors to do those CGI aliens in Avatar, and while I've heard speculation that one day they will be able to just "generate" the cast, I think it's quite a long time away. I hope it is.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I didn't see Avatar and won't. I was upset that it was included in the best picture catergory and thought it should have been in animated films. One of the reasons that I won't see it is that I want to support live actors and actresses not computer generated ones. I do think at some point that there won't be a need for humans in movies but not in our lifetime.

My sister saw Avatar and loved it. My niece saw Avatar and hated it. I saw the trailers and knew I wouldn't like it.

If you want to see real movies see Invictus or The Blind Side.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I love the composer shoe story too! I actually told people before they noticed too! And guess what? My mom thought I should have left them on the rest of the day too! She said it started the day out good with a laugh.

Ricky got a little funnier later in the show. He was drinking a beer and said "Like any man I enjoy a beer unless the man is the next man." It was Mel Gibson. Then he said there were viewers all over the world and he could imagine little kids in China seeing Angelina Jolie and shouting "Mommie."

I agree with you that it will be a while before humans become obsolete in movies.

Bill