Thursday, January 24, 2008

Creativity Stop Signs

Sometimes things just happen that are gentle reminders of the direction that you want to go. Two things happened yesterday that reminded me that I need to think more about my creative side.

I received a nice post card from a friend/client, Norm, telling me that he and his wife had just moved into an assisted living center, that I would be there within "sixty years." I love Norm. When I was an internal auditor for an insurance company his department was the first one that I audited. My report was a tad hard on his department but Norm came to me and said "that is the best report that has been written since I've been with this company. I've been telling the big boys those things for years." Norm and I became good friends after that. We had many lunches together. One year Norm brought me an advance copy of a book that his son-in-law had written, Sleeping Beauty. Norm is the father-in-law of Phillip Margolin, who is a pretty famous mystery writer. Margolin has written numerous books including Gone But Not Forgotten, The Last Innocent Man, The Burning Man, Ties That Bind and numerous others. That got me to thinking that maybe I need to find my book file and start writing in it again. I heard "Searching For Justice", calling me.

Coming back from the mail box for some reason I went into my townhouse through the garage instead of the front door. Nine out of ten times I go through the front door. I looked over at the filing cabinet in the garage and on top of it was Julia Cameron's Artist Way Workshop, A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity. I opened it up, just opened it and it was on page 7. Listed there was Julia Cameron's six things to stop doing. With credit to Julie Cameron and from her Artist Way Workshop were the following:

Stop telling yourself, "it's too late."

Stop waiting until you make enough money to do something that you'd really love.

Stop telling yourself, "it's just my ego" whenever you yearn for a more creative life.

Stop telling yourself that dreams don't matter, that they are only dreams and that you should be more sensible.

Stop fearing that your family and friends would think that you are crazy.

Stop telling yourself that creativity is a luxury and that you should be grateful for what you've got.

Wow, Ms. Cameron has been following me around.

That is it for the day. Hope this will be an outstanding day for all of you.

4 comments:

Mary Z said...

What great advice, Bill! And obviously your creative innards sent you through the garage to find that book. I hope to hear that you're acting on some of them soon.

Bev Sykes said...

I'm so glad that you decided to let some of your creativity out by starting this blog!

William J. said...

Mary

I am slowly starting to acting on them. I found my computer file from the last time that I wrote on the book.

William J. said...

Bev

The blog has been very rewarding. Meeting new people like Mary Z and Janet and the others that have posted on the blog has been really exciting for me.

I've been toying with the idea of posting a chapter of "Searching For Justice" on the blog but that would be a gigantic step for me. Maybe eventually but I'm not quire ready for that right now.