Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Sherwood Y

I've made a decision to join the Sherwood Y. It is only a mile from my house. It is also state of the art having only been built about five years ago. The problem I am having with my daily two mile walk is the weather. With the ice and rain it is hard to walk my normal walk every morning, so I end up going to the mall with the walk the mall program. However, the mall is twenty minutes away and with the price of gas that it is just to expensive to do everyday. I want to walk the same walk every day so I can calculate my progress. Six weeks ago when I started my two mile walk it too me fifty-one minutes, the last time I walked the same walk it was thirty-nine minutes. It makes me feel good to see the improvement.

At the Sherwood Y they have an indoor walking track. I can calculate my improvement by walking the same laps every day. The Y also has a cardio program so I can get some good cardio workouts going. Then at some point, maybe six months out I might take swimming lessons. In Oregon to graduate from high school you basically have to learn how not to drown but you don't really learn to swim. They have beginning adult swimming classes so I thought that would be a good place to start. Learning how to swim is something I've always wanted to do but never made the effort. Now I want to make the effort.

Because I am a resident of Sherwood, I get a pretty good sized discount on the membership fee. So everything seems like a go.

That is for the day.

2 comments:

Mary Z said...

Congratulations on your decision to work out. I hope you enjoy your Y as much as we do ours. We joined so I could participate in the deep-water aerobics group. It's great exercise, but as much as that is the camaraderie that has come out of the group of participants.

William J. said...

Mary

I went over the the Y yesterday and there were a ton of people there. Various age groups. Looks like a fun place.

Then in the morning's paper there was an article about people that excercise being younger than couch potatos their own age. So it looks like a go.

Bill