Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Nobody Was Hurt

Here I was on my way to my annual eye appointment which should have been easy to do with no trauma. A woman ran a red light and hit me. She was uninsured, didn't have a valid driver's license. Five grand of damage to my car. However, I have uninsured motorist coverage. I had to have the car towed to the garage because the 911 people and the police were afraid if I drove it the air bag would deploy. The good thing is that several people stopped and gave me their names and addresses. Several people stopped and told the cops whose fault it was. Basically I didn't even have to tell my side of the story. The other good thing is if I had come through the intersection just a little faster she would have hit my door and I would have been killed or injured. Thank God for the timing. The police gave her tickets for driving without insurance, for not having a valid driver's license, for running a red light and for reckless driving. A total that according to the officer equaled in excess of $ 1,500.00. No wonder she didn't want me to call the cops. Oregon law requires you to call the cops if the damage is more than one thousand dollars so I did call them. Just another boring day in my life.

4 comments:

Mary Z said...

Holy Cow! What a mess! Great news that you weren't hurt. And that there were witnesses who were willing to give statements, and that it wasn't a hit-and-run, and that the cops showed up quickly.

As the fates would have it, our 18-year-old, college freshman grandson was "t-boned" yesterday (his 19th birthday). He wasn't hurt, either, but probably his car was totalled.

I'll tell you what I told him. My good friend had a wreck before Xmas - doing damage to her car, but not visibly to her. Within a few days, she started having aches and pains. And now about 3-4 weeks later, she's having major trouble in her arms and hands, with numbness and weakness. She's had an MRI and is to see a neurosurgeon in a few days.

Moral: Don't assume you weren't hurt, just because there were no broken bones or blood. Give it a while for those soft-tissue injuries to show up.

Did you have to reschedule your eye appointment????

William J. said...

How awful for your son and I am glad he wasn't hurt. But what a pain in the rump to have replace his car. I hope he has insurance.

Let me know how your friend is doing and how the tests go. Sounds like a serious case of whiplash, which is a very painful condition. Sometimes a jolt like she had may enhance problems that she has had and didn't know it until the accident. I sure hope she finds out what is wrong with her.

I am going to wait a few days before determining if there were any injuries. But the way we hit I think I am fine. My neck bothers me just a tad but not enough to be bothered by it.

Yes I did have to schedule my appointment. By the time the police took their report, the two truck took me and the car to the garage, and I got to Mom's to borrow her car it was two hours.
I was only a mile from the doctor's office when the lady hit me.

Thanks for your message and concern.

Anonymous said...

okay we need to meet for coffee some day - I'm in the Portland area so it wouldn't be a "drive" except for the fact that you don't have a car! We could have some great talks as we have the same taste in authors. In fact I can help encourage you in your quest to pen that novel!

William J. said...

Wow Janet.

I didn't know you were in the Portland area. I would love to have coffee with you. They said I would get my car back in two weeks and anytime after that would be great. Wednesday, Thursday, Fridays are caregiving days so any other day works great.

The next two weeks were going to be difficult anyhow as mom's 92nd is Monday. We are pretty sure this is mom's last one because of how fast she has declined in the last year and that both dad and her mom died right before turning 93. So the next two weeks we are going to celebrate her birthday. My nephew is cooking her ribs on Friday, I'm taking her to dinner on Sunday, shopping on Monday or etc.

Maybe after I get my car back and Mom's celebration has died down we can email a location to meet for coffee.

I'd love to hear what your favorite authors are.