Thursday, January 10, 2008

Juno

Well acted, great sound track, just as Janet promised witty dialogue, and it treats teen pregnancy in a tactful way. The choices are brought to the attention of the audience without being preachy. Ellen Page was marvelous in it. Good entertainment.

The problems that I had with the movie weren't really with the movie but with the people that classify it and with me thinking to much instead of enjoying the movie. Juno won the Critics Choice Award as the Best Comedy. It did have some funny scenes and funny dialogue but I just have a little trouble with such a serious subject as teen pregnancy being a comedy. I actually think the movie was more serious than given credit for. As to me thinking to much the teen in the movie had a supportive family and a boyfriend that didn't disappear. I wonder how often that happens in the real world, I am hoping more often than I think. I also hated the Jason Bateman character. He was everything I don't think a man should be, lecherous and selfish.

In a six degree of separation kind of thing I stumbled on to a column about Juno written by the right wing conservative columnist of The Oregonian, David Reinhard. Carrying the six degrees another step is I actually know David. When his wife and two of her friends started a gift shop I was their accountant. One of the ladies later worked for me. I've been to a couple of parties where David was at. He is a really nice man, he just comes at things from a completely different politcal perspective than I have.

The last time that I remember that David wrote a column about a movie it was about The Bridges of Madison County. He came to the conclusion that women that saw that movie would walk out of the movie grab the first man they saw and have an affair with him. I wrote to him and told him that since I had waited outside the theatre for three days and nothing happened he couldn't have been more wrong. As wrong as he was about Bridges of Madison County I think he makes some valid points about Juno. As usually I don't agree with everything he says but his column is worth reading. Here is the link to his column.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/david_reinhard/index.ssf?/base/editorial/1199481914133570.xml&coll=7

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to see the movie Juno with my best friend. She was hoping that the movie might be something she could send her 15 yr old son to see (he's got a girlfriend and they are obsessed with each other - they make out all the time and send some pretty risque text msgs to each other). She was so disappointed that it seemed to present the whole pregnancy thing as too "neat" - everything was tied up nicely at the end and there seemed to be no repercussions for the boy. Me on the other hand - I love movies that end happily and neat - so unlike real life -- movies are an escape mechanism for me. So I loved the movie. The dialogue was sooooo snappy. I do agree that the husband in the couple adopting the baby was rather short on the redeeming characteristics.