Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Oscar Nominations

Anyone that knows me knows that a lot of my favorite things start with the letter f. Not in order but family, football, females, food, and films.

This morning they announced the Oscar nominations. For the first time ever I have seen every film nominated for the best picture. I liked them all except No Country For Old Men and I think since it is playing at the cheap theatre in Tigard I will go see it again to see what I missed. Here are the nominations:

Best Picture:

Atonement - my favorite. Dark Romantic epic period piece.

Michael Clayton - second favorite. Adult suspense.

There Will Be Blood - third favorite based on the acting alone.

Juno - fourth favorite. Loved the score and the performance by Ellen Page

No Country For Old Men - I don't get the Cohen brothers. Didn't get Fargo either.

Projected Winner - There Will Be Blood, Upset Special -Atonement

Best Actor:

George Clooney - Michael Clayton

Daniel Day Lewis - There Will Be Blood

Johnny Depp - Sweeney Tood

Tommy Lee Jones - In The Valley of Elah

Virgo Mortensen - Easten Promises

Sure Thing - Daniel Day Lewis, Upset Special -George Clooney

Best Actress: (Love them all except didn't see Cotillard's performance)

Cate Blanchett: Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Julie Christie: Away From Her

Marion Cotillard: La Vie En Rose

Laura Linney: The Savages

Ellen Page: Juno

Projected Winner: Julie Christie in a nose over Laura Linney

Upset Special - If the vote is split between Christie and Linney, Page takes the prize.

Best Supporting Actor:

Casey Affleck - The Assassination of Jesse James

Javier Bardem - No Country For Old Men

Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Charlie Wilson's War

Hal Holbrook - Into The Wild

Tom Wilkinson - Michael Clayton

Projected Winner - although I prefer my man Hoffman the Oscar goes to Hollywood Vet Hal Holbrook.

Upset Special - Casey Affleck

Best Supporting Actress: (love all of these too)

Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There

Ruby Dee - American Gangster

Saoirse Ronan - Atonement

Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone

Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton.

Projected Winner: Wow this is a really tough group to choose from. Going with my favorite movie, Saoirse Ronan.

Upset Special - vote is split between the other four actresses and Ruby Dee Wins.

That is it for the day. Home things are going well for everyone.


2 comments:

Mary Z said...

I've not seen any of the movies - but then I haven't seen a "new" movie in years. I do have some of them in my Netflix queue, though. You'll have to post a result sheet, so we can see how good your picks are.

William J. said...

I go to a lot of movies because it is the one that I can do where I can get lost for a couple of hours and not think about life.

When the Oscars happen, if they happen, I will post my picks next to the winners.