Monday, January 7, 2008

Writer's Block

I've been having writer's block the last couple of days so today's post is just going to be about miscellaneous items.

Quotes on my Thomas Kinkade Calendar that I like.

"Each of us, in our own way, has a high and unique calling, if our ears can only be opened to hear it."

"It's not just hearts and flowers, but the willingness and ability to open your heart and to smell the flowers that makes your life truly romantic."

My Favorite Reality Shows:

Dancing With The Stars - More than about dancing but it does make me want to take dancing lessons.

Top Chef - Makes me want to take cooking classes. Created by Magical Elves Productions the same company that created Project Runway. The Top Chef official web page:

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef//index.php

Amazing Race - I like to watch how teams settle disputes and they go to locations that I will never visit. Although I will admit that I quit watching this season because I became to upset at the way a Japanese man was treating his daughter. According to those that are still watching the show, like my niece, the man has improved his treatment of his daughter. I sure hope so.

My Super Bowl Pick:

Seattle vs. New England.

My picks for the five pictures to be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. These are not my five favorite movies of the year but predictions based on reading the top ten lists of several critics. I haven't see all of the movies listed but will by the time the nominations come out. The one I can hardly wait for is "There Will Be Blood" which opened in LA and New York in December to qualify for the Oscars but won't open in Portland until the 18th. The movie that you will probably see on everyone's nominated list but won't see on mine is No Country For Old Men, it stunk. I walked out. Even if I thought it would be nominated I wouldn't put it on the list because I don't want it to be nominated. Here are the five that I am picking.

Atonement - My favorite movie of the year. Period pieces do well with the Oscars.

Michael Clayton - My second favorite movie of the year.

Once - Every year an indie makes the cut and I think this one will. A great little movie. Very romantic.

310 to Yuma - No Country will be everyone's list instead of 310. Except mine. 310 was a much better movie.

There Will Be Blood - Read the blurb, seen the trailer, read several reviews. Looks great.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Juno yet? Great movie - witty dialogue. I stumbled across your blog through Bev's Funny the World blog. I have really been enjoying all you have to say. Keep it up - you know I check every day for new updates!

Mary said...

I'm liking your Super Bowl picks, except for the New England part. Does it have to be New England?

lisa said...

Go Patriots! :D

William J. said...

Hi Janet

Nice to see you here. I was really flattered when Bev not only mentioned my blog on hers but also said I wrote well. Her, Mary the one doen't like New England, and Jack Olsen are the type of writers that I would like to be.

Today's entry may be late. I Have to take my car in first thing this morning, then two business meetings, and a movie at 4:50. After you mentioned Juno I looked for it and it is playing at the theatre within walking distance from my home. I am looking for movies to go between not and when "There Will Be Blood" comes out.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I think New England could be upset by either Jacksonville or the Colts but I don't see how anyone can pick against them the way they have played this year.

The Seattle-Green Bay game Saturday, imho, will be the best game of the year so far. I'm picking Seattle because they have a lot of players with playoff and super bowl experience and Green Bay is a pretty young team except for the greatest quarteback of all time. The winner of this game will make it to the super bowl.

William J. said...

Hi Lisa

Welcome to the blog. I can be swayed to root for New England if you can just tell me the correct way to sing the spider song is "The Itsy Bitsy Spider."

Bev Sykes said...

Oh go back to Amazing Race! For one thing, I LOVE it that both of the old guys are in the final four. Also, the development of the relationship between the father and daughter has been great to see. They came in #1 this past week and they were elated because they realized they had not argued once during the day and felt that was why they had done so well. I think they have grown the most as a team since the beginning.

Didn't they enter the race because they were trying to re-establish a relationship? I think this will prove to be a life-altering experience for them, and will improve their relationship forever.

William J. said...

Hi Bev

OK next Sunday I will give Amazing Race another try. I just quit watching because I figure if I get angry enough to want to strangle someone it is time to quit watching.

I'm glad the dad has gotten nicer to his daughter and the relationship has improved. That is another reason I like the Amazing Race in can alter their lives for ever.

William J. said...

Janet

I went to Juno yesterday and enjoyed it, I loves the soundtrack. I think I will report on it tomorrow.