Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Miscellaneous Items

Life is just moving along right now so nothing exciting to report on the home front just thought I would give my thoughts about about a few things:

SCREEN ACTOR GUILDS AWARD SHOW

Sunday was the annual Screen Actor Guilds Award Show. I love a good awards show so I watched both the red carpet and the show itself. With the writers' strike my guess is this will be the one true award show this season. The Oscars will probably end up like the Golden Globes, a sham.

I loved the award show Sunday night. Lots of class acts topped by the winners of the Best Actress and Best Actor awards. Julie Christie was her marvelous self in her acceptance speech. Then Daniel Day Lewis showed he is not only an immense talent but a talent with an extreme amount of compassion dedicating his award to an actor that he had never met, Heath Ledger. Daniel Day Lewis a straight man not afraid to show his respect for another man. Nice to have something in common with such a star. From now on I will go to all Daniel Day Lewis's movies.

I do not agree with the Screen Actor Guilds choice of No Country For Old Men. I did like No Country better the second time I viewed it but no it wasn't the best picture this year. The Screen Actor Guild often confuses different with intelligent. Because the Cohen brothers are different they could do a movie about paint drying and win an award. The very romantic Atonement, the classy Michael Clayton, The epic There Will Be Blood were all better movies this year.

I also didn't agree with the Best Supporting Actor award going to Javier Bardem. Don't get me wrong, he gave a great performance. However, it wasn't a supporting role it was a lead role. Hal Holbrook should have won.

The Elections

No clear front runner in either race to the nomination. I am not even sure that Super Tuesday will result in a clear winner for either party. It would not surprise me if neither party had a clear winner going into the conventions. That would result in a compromise candidate at the convention. That could be someone sitting out the fray right now or someone that is in the fray that the leaders can agree on. I see the compromise candidate for the Republicans being Jeb Bush. I really hope not but he seems like a logical choice. For the Democrats John Edwards could be in the role of power broker with his delegates and could very well end up as the compromise candidate for the Dems. Or maybe a Joseph Biden.

The Super Bowl

I hope the Giants but I am afraid the cheaters, I mean the Patriots, will win. If I was a betting man I would take the Giants and the twelve points.
Wait I am a betting man. Now I have to just find a bookie.

Some of My favorite Things.

I admit, I love coupons. Mom says my epitath will read "Here Lies Bill, He Expired Before His Coupons."

Dancing With The Stars - Next segment will be March 17th. The only rumor that I've heard so far is that Kristi McNichol may be one of the stars.

Movies - love being lost for two hours without a care in the world except what is on the screen.

Carolyn Hax - the advise columnist, she gives such sound advise.

There are so many others but I would run out of space. May this be a rewarding and wonderful day for all of you.

11 comments:

Mary Z said...

I enjoyed your miscellaneous remarks today. I'm not the movie buff that you are, although I do like them. And it's interesting to hear your take on things.

Pat said...

Kristy McNicol on "Dancing"? I may even watch faithfully again, after losing interest last time around. My daughter and I watched "Family" faithfully years and years ago, and thought she was the best kid actress around. Her career seems to have languished since, and I'm sorry about that.

BTW, Google gives me fits about posting here, so I just tried opening a whole new account and we'll see how that works.

William J. said...

Mary Z

I bet you might have shook at the thought of Jeb being the nominee for Prez.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I'm sorry you having trouble posting with google. Did you try signing in using "any open id.". I hope it didn't cost you setting up an open id.

Yes McNichol would be great as a celb on Dancing With The Stars. I watched the last time but how long Marie Osmand lasted bothed me greatly.

Bill

Mary Z said...

Bill, the idea of Jeb being president is just too horrible to even consider. ARGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Pat said...

Nope, didn't work. I had to establish a new account again, using the same email addy and the same password I use for my gmail account. I don't get it. Maybe I should email google and give them what-for.

As to Jeb as the nominee, I join you all in shuddering.

Pat said...

Oh, and btw, I did try that "any open ID" and it didn't work, either.

Pat said...

I think it worked, and in fact, I used the same ID I use for gmail, and the same password. So if this works now, I'm home free.

As to Jeb being the 'pub nominee, well, (SHUDDER!).

William J. said...

Mary Z

I thought you might feel that way about the ex Gov of Florida.

Bill

William J. said...

Pat

I would email Google and ask their help. Do you have any trouble posting on other Google Blogs or just mine?

Maybe I did someting in the way I set up the blog.

Bill

William J. said...

Pat

I am glad it is working now. It is always good to see you here.

When I told Mom I though Jeb would be the Repub nominee she seriously considered cutting me out of her will.

By the way, a new rumor about Dancing With The Stars. The rumored celeb, none other than 74 year-old Florence Henderson.