Thursday, January 31, 2008

Next Week Is A Super Week

First it is Super Bowl Sunday and then it is Super Tuesday. One will out number the other by millions of viewers, the other will have more of an impact on what happens in our lives the next four to eight years.

I love Super Bowl Sunday. I'm a huge football fan but would like Super Bowl Sunday even if I weren't. It is just so festive. Both my Mom and my sister love the Super Bowl and aren't big football fans. This year I've been invited to several parties, normally I usually stay at home and watch it with my family, but this year I have decided on floating between two parties. Sort of expanding my horizons to the outside world. One party is at a restaurant, the other one at a home. Pre-game and first half at the restaurant. Second half and post-game at the home. There goes my diet! One day won't hurt. I always record the Super Bowl so if I miss any commercials I can play them back and watch them at my leisure. My Super Bowl Pick? Sorry Lisa. Giants 42 Patriots 38. Bet the over on the over/under. Low scoring first half, high scoring second half.

For those hosting their own parties here is a site with some ideas for sancks:

http://food.ivillage.com/holiday/superbowl/0,,kfm,00.html

Monday will be a day of rest, followed by Super Tuesday. Although Mr. Huck might disagree we are basically down to the final four. Romney and McCain on the Repub. side, Clinton and Obama on the Dem side. I actually think that John Edwards enhanced his chances of being the compromise candidate by bowing out of the race. Usually a compromise candidate isn't one in the fray, by stepping out of the fray Edwards can still be an option.

The race is going to be so close between Hilliary and Barack that neither will garner enough delegates to win the nomination before the convention. There are 842 super delegates that are not voted on but are appointed and can vote for whom they want. The super delegates are usually senators, representatives, other elected officials, ex-presidents, and party officials. The super delegates don't have to vote for either Hilliary or Barack, they can throw their support to someone not even in the picture. Or the Supers could decide the winner between Hilliary and Barack. For more on what a super delegate is, here s a link:

http://uspolitics.about.com/od/2008elections/tp/super_delegates.htm

On the Republican side even after Tuesday my guess is it is still going to be to close to call. The Republicans are not going to the polls this primary season, the Democrats are having an amazing turnout. In South Carolina in a district described by one pundant as "the most Republican district in the state" Barack had more votes than McCain and Romney combined. This doesn't really bode well for a successful president election for them. There just isn't a Republican candidate that excites the rank and file Republicans. The Pubs are kind of in transition away from the religious right control more towards the center and in doing so are losing a lot of their base.

Should be an interesting week! Hope this day brings love, joy, and happiness in to all of your hearts!

7 comments:

Mary Z said...

I'm not a football fan, but the game will probably be on around here. John did fine with the surgery - check my blog tonight for details.

We did sort-of lose our votes for Edwards, but I was thinking in terms of enough support that he could be a compromise choice, or maybe VP.

lisa said...

May the best team win Bill! I have to work clear until Sunday..Hope the Super Bowl is late on Sunday....I'll need a nap!

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I'm glad that John did fine with the surgery! I just checked your blog and will check it again in the morning. I hope you are getting some rest because I'm sure it has beens stressful for you.

Edwards was really my choice. I don't think he would take a VP choice but I could see him as a compromise candidate with Obama as the VP.

A man can dream, can't he?

William J. said...

Hi Lisa

The Super Bowl is on at 6:30 p.m. Eastern Time. When you factor in all the commercials and a forty-five minute half-time it will probably be past 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time before it ends.

Bill

Mary Z said...

I like your dreams, Bill - keep it up.

Did you see the news thing about people having more heart attacks, etc., during stressful sporting events? Take it easy on Sunday - don't get too excited!

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I'm not that invested that much in a the super bowl to cause a heart attack. I more apt to have a heart attacking thinking about all the nice women like yourself, Bev, Pat, Lisa, Kim, Mary, Janet that have posted on my blog.

Bill

William J. said...

And Diane and Ellen. My memory hasn't kicked in this morning.

Bill