Sunday, June 28, 2009

Dona's Pictures, What's To Come, What May Come, & Analogies

The answer to the where am I question yesterday really described where I am. The answer was Sherwood, Oregon. Today at the end of this blog entry we test how well you know analogies. In between Dona's pictures and the daily test we will discuss what will come and what may come on the blog in the not to distant future.

I loved all of the descriptions in the comment section of yesterday's post describing the cities where you live. Learned a little more about each one of you. Dona's husband, lovingly referred to as "The Shankster", had some solid conenctions to fame. I was honored to see the picutres that Dona sent me. I know you will enjoy them too. First let me quote what Dona wrote":

"the Hall of Fame Museum which holds Tons of memorabilia and a special place in The Shankster's heart as there is the Borg-Warner Trophy which was originally designed by his daddy. As a jeweler he designed the cup and the faces for each year on the cup, which looked very much like each winner (until his death and now they all look the same) I have pictures if you like. He also designed & made the rings for the winners as well which are in the museum. Also The sword that the Japanese surrendered toward the end of the war, his dad made the only replica of it and it was out at Fort Harrison, which is in Indiana. Now they show it on a tour with the Smithsonian all around the U.S."








These are stunning pictures.

What will come on the blog either tomorrow or some day next week is a blog entry titled "What I've Learned." I've been thinking we have been through a lot in the last year. If you remember last 4th of July was the weekend that an old lover visited me to see if we could renew, rebuild, or move the relationship forward. The answer to all of those questions were no. When she left I ended the relationship for good. Other than the socially required thank you note, there has been no contact since then. After that weekend there has been tryouts at assisted living centers, going out of comfort zones (comedy classes), a few dates, some trips, some memories of dad, honoring of mothers, medical questions, an absolutely amazing birthday experience, some contests, some questioning of our lives, some vents, a lot of news stories, a lot of public figures cheating on their spouses, some of us discovering we have sexy legs, finding out snakes still are frightening, some amazing discoverings in cleaning up the clutter in both my life and my garage, love vs. like, some good and bad movies, some reality TV, a lot of supporting each other, a lot of frustations with the caring for our elderly and of our siblings for not picthing in, a lot of prayers and good thoughts, and the list goes on. I've learned a lot through all the experiences and from you and will share what I've learned from the experiences and from you. I would also love it, if you would share with me what you have learned in the last year through your experiences. So start the thinking process now. That is an order!

Then the next subject is one that I haven't decided if I should post here. However, I may ask you to help me write a profile for a dating site. I'm having a lot of trouble drafting one for a number of reasons. One is that I don't really see myself as others describe me. I cannot tell you how much I was touched by a comment by a neat happily married woman in an email to me, that comment was "Why a woman hasn't plucked you up before now is beyond me!." Nobody has ever said that to me. But I honestly don't know if I am a good catch or not. I'd definitely be tough to live with but I think I can work to improve at that. Another reasaon is the minute you do a profile you put what you are searching for in a box and what if the woman that is perfect for you is outside that box? So just in case I get up enough nerve to ask for you help, I want you to think of how you would write my profile. Complete honesty is a requirement. Might be a fun post!

Now today's question. We are doing analogies today. I give a sentence and four choices. You are to pick two of the four choices that most relate to the two in the sentance:

Sample Question. Dona is to The Shankster as (Wife, Brother, Sister, Husband)

Answer: Wife is to Husband.

Here goes, five questions. And remember you cannot use the words in the first sentence in the answer. It is basically what two of the answers in () most relate to the stated relationship.

Mother is to girl as (man, father, male, boy)

Wall is to window as (glare, brick, face, eye)

Island is to water as (without, center, diagonal, perimeter)

High is to deep as (sleep, cloud, float, coal)

Form is to content as (happiness, statue, marble, mold)

Thanks for the pictures Dona! May you all have a great day filled with happiness!

4 comments:

Mary Z said...

I assumed the town was in Oregon, Washington, or Alaska, but couldn't find anything that matched. 8^(

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

You and DR made it to hard! All you had to do was look at my profile!

I thought for sure the Sherwood forest thing would give it away.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Dona, the pictures are gorgeous. No wonder the Shankster is so pround of his father's work. The detail work is exquisite. What talent that man possessed

William J. said...

Hi DR

Those pictures are just amazing. There are so many talented people that are posting here!

Bill