Friday, June 19, 2009

Update And The Mens' Health Fair.

Thomas Edison was the answer to yesterday’s puzzle. Today’s puzzle is at the end of today’s blog entry. The kindness meter is at 75 acts of kindness performed by 32 people.

Today is update day. Tell me about your life. Your siblings. Your friends. Your parents. Your Children. Your nieces and nephews. Your grandparents or grandchildren. Your step children. Strangers you encountered. Events attended or attending. Your concerns. Your joys. Vent if you need to. If you are new to the blog and the mood strikes you introduce yourself. Basically this is your day to post anything you damn well please.

The main event for me this was a Men’s Health Fair. Seven tests. The vascular & Cardiac Package plus Osteo. I get the results within three weeks. They did make me pay before I left so that concerns me a bit. Here are the seven tests:

Ankle Brachial Index that checks for blood circulation
Abdominal Aortic Anuerysm Ultrasound
Arterial Stiffness Index
Ultrasound test showing plaque build up in the carotid artery
Ultrasound video of the heart, showing valves, chambers, walls, and blood flow.
Ultrasound showing the electrical activity of the heart
Ultrasound for bone density.

The thing that I was surprised about was how many women were at a Men’s Health Fair. And most of the men looked like they didn’t want to be there. I kind of got the impression that the men were hogtied, kidnapped, browbeat, bribed and dragged screaming to the health fair. I honestly think I was the only man there willingly. What is there about us men that makes us avoid doctors? I sometimes avoid doctors because I've noticed that when someone dies the last person they have seen is a doctor or a priest. I am really curious if you have to (or had to if your spouse is no longer with us) browbeat your husband, boyfriend, brother or the men in your life to get them to go to the doctor?

Now the puzzle of the day. The owner of The Dahn Report is descendent of mine. For eight years good old George was my boss, then I followed in George’s footsteps and become the head honcho for four years. A few years later my son did me proud by following in my footsteps. My family came to America in the 1630s. At age 20 I graduated from Harvard and began a career as a teacher after which I went to law school and became admitted to the bar at age twenty-seven. At age 29 I married the daughter of a minister. We had five children and a sixth child was still born. My second cousin Sam was considered by many to be more popular than I was. My first fame came from opposing an act in 1765 that Britain tried to impose on the colonies. I anonymously contributed four articles in opposition to the act to The Boston Gazette which were later published in The London Times. My opposition to the Act of 1765 was that the act deprived The American Colonists two rights guaranteed to all Englishmen which all free men deserved. The right to be tried by a jury of his peers. The right to only be taxed by consent. Receiving a retainer which has been said to be one guinea to eighteen guinea, depending on the source, I defended seven British soldiers accused of killing five American civilians. Five of the soldiers were acquitted and two that fired into a crowd were tried for murder but convicted of manslaughter. Many think people should read one of my writings as the articulation of the classical Republican theory of mixed government. I attended the first Continental Congress, seconded “The Resolution of Independence” and was later one of the signers of The Declaration of Independence. In my first official political office I set a record by casting twenty-nine tie breaking votes. As my only term as head honcho was expiring I appointed a series of judges, now known as the “midnight judges.” Tell me not only who I am but also name the act of 1765 that I described in this paragraph. If you are unable to email your answers just give me the initials of the act of 1765. Give me that you will know who I am!

Hope this will be a great day for all of you and that many acts of kindness will be done your direction!

The blog is now yours!!!!!

8 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

Well, this WILL be an exciting week for me because I am flying to PARIS on Monday and will spend the next two weeks in France and Italy, returning on July 5. It's a girls-only trip, and I'm traveling with college friends, their daughters and one granddaughter.

I'm hoping to continug updating my blog, if not daily, then frequently. Check Funny the world or Airy Persiflage

Pat said...

So funny about all the women at the Men's Health Fair. I think I may have too much testosterone or something because I resist going to doctors much like men do. But all those tests sound valuable, and since they are non-invasive and don't involve radiation, I wouldn't mind having them, myself.

Update? Nothing much to update. We stopped using benadryl for my mother, having found some information about it being bad for some patients with dementia. Seems it interferes with a particular chemical pathway in the brain in some people. After a few days off of it, there seemed to be quite an improvement in her speech. Until last night, when she was using the wrong words for things or made-up words again. So we'll see if the improvement was only transient or not. Time will tell, I suppose.

In other mom news, one of the staff plugged her into her Ipod one night and the music seemed to calm her, except when it switched from piano music to rock/rap, which caused her to jump. {g} So I'll be getting her a little MP3 player and putting some music I know she'll like on it and we'll see if it's good for those agitated evenings.

Bon voyage, Bev! I know you'll have a great time, and I look forward to a virtual trip via your blog.

William J. said...

Hi Bev

How exciting is that!!!! Have a great time in France and we expect to hear all about it when you get back!!!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

There were a few women there that did take the tests. So you should have been therw with me!


How smart of you to find out about dementia and benedryl. I would have just assumed it was OK. I am optimistic and hopeful that the improvement will more than transient.

Wow also to finding out about the music and how thoughtful of you to get an MP3!!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Bev, have a wonderful trip. I look forward to hearing about it, altho I'm green with envy about your adventures (even though I hate the thought of going through the flying experience).

Pat, good job on the music idea and tracking down the effects of Benedryl. Thank goodness your mom has you to watch out for her.

No excitement here. The packing process continues at Mom's. We're through about 3/4 of the breakables I'm to pack and getting down to the hand-blown glass objects that are "not replacable" (so why can't the movers be responsible, I whine!)Spraying fabric stuff, so it can totally dry and get packed. Two doctor app'ts. Her vision has come up a tiny bit, but is still close to legally blind and we continue the injections for macular degeneration. The great news is that Tuesday she was almost "her old self" and we managed a haircut and a shopping trip to her favorite nearby store.

Between Mom's app'ts and the neighbor's situation, I'm ever so grateful for sight and health. C had to be taken by ambulance twoice this week, the second time so she could be admitted to the hospital, the only way to get her into a nursing home for PT for a broken pelvic bone (she's 82) and possible evaluation for remaining there, as Tom now admits she has advanced Alzheimers and he may not be able to care for her. She doesn't wonder off long distances, but does wonder up to the back of the property, where she's fallen several times and been "rescued" by either Himself or Tom. Prayers would be appreciated - talking to Tom tonight, he's obviously near the end of his rope and having to face some really hard decisions.

To end on a bright note -- Himself and I took off at O-Dark-Thrity last Saturday, to drive across NC (I meditated and napped through that part), a corner of TN and VA and into KY, where we braved washed out mountain roads to get to a place about 35 miles past the Back of Beyond to pick up some ham gear he'd traded for. Gorgeous scenery, beautiful day. Getting there was fine, with a few corrections to route, but if we hadn't had the GPS, we'd still be trying to find our way out of the mountain mining towns to the highway! Long day/trip, but nice to run away from home for a day.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'm really glad you have enough time to pack, as annoying as it is not to know the exact date of the move it is good to not have to pack on short notice.

Great news about her vision improving and about her almost being herself.

You do have my prayers of your neighbor, I know how hard it is to take care of someone with dementia.

Yes on taking a personal trip! And yea for The GPS!!

Bill

Lady DR said...

And Yea to you, Bill, for going to the health fair, which I didn't comment on, as I forgot to show your original post. (The mind is mush). Yes, I think most men go kicking and screaming to a doctor. Himself goes only because he has to, in order to get refills on the heart meds. He never went to a doc in Clearwater, before he had the heart attack and refuses to see on regularly here or have physicals or whatever. Now, I'm not fond of doctors, myself, but I do get the yearly mammo and pap smear and see the internist once inbetween for blood tests and I see the dentist and the opthomalogist. Not him.

Sounds like the screening was comprehensive and hit the important high spots. Heck, I guess I'd rather know if there's a potential problem and prevent it or know I'm A-OK, then avoid knowing, although I won't go looking for trouble.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'd rather know too. Then you can adjust. The tests weren't as long or detailed as the ones you take at the hospital but they will show whether or not more tests are a good idea.

I am kind of with Himself my doctor refused to refill one prescription until I went to see him.

Bill