Monday, June 29, 2009

What I've Learned.

Yesterday’s answers: Mother is to girl as father is to boy, Wall is to window as face is to eye, Island is to water as center is to perimeter, high is to deep as cloud is to coal, form is to content as statue is to marble.

Today let’s do some trivia questions. Tell us how teddy bears were named and why they were named that way. Sylvester and Tweety are well known Looney-Tune as a cat and bird, tell us what they were originally. A group of dolphins are often erroneously referred to as a school, what is the correct answer? What will a raisin do if dropped into a fresh glass of soda? Why were playing cards issued to British pilots during World War II? I obtained the questions from a couple of web sites that I won’t mention right now because if I did you could just go to those web sites and get the answers! I’m also going to trust that the answers given on those web sites are the right ones.

Last year at this time I was excitedly getting ready for a visit of an old lover. It didn’t work out. Since that time that there has been many joys, many frustrations, many enlightenments and many discoveries. I thought the week during which we celebrate the independence of our country would be a good time of share with you what I learned in the past twelve months. This is some of what I’ve learned:

You can become very close to people that you haven’t met through the magic of the internet. I consider all of you friends and each day I give thanks for each and every one of you.

That I am not alone. I can come here anytime and see friends I enjoy and enjoy their support and hopefully support them.

I’ve had confirmed my feelings of how difficult it is to be the primary caregiver for an elderly relative. I am not alone in my frustrations that come with care giving and that I am not alone in often feeling trapped. It is best for me if my Mom is in assisted living center but it is best for mom if she stays at home and never the twain should meet. It isn’t selfish to want your own life.

I can get inspiration both from strangers and friends.

At times I can be inspiring.

Sometimes going out of your comfort zone can be a wonderful experience and a discovery of a hidden talent. The stage is frightening. The result is rewarding.

To let my funny side come out more often because I love to make people laugh.

It is more fun to being the person offering contests and prizes than it is being the person entering the contest and winning the prizes.

Kindness is catching.

Aging is often difficult but easier when we share our experiences.

Through a few dates I’ve learned more about what I want in the woman that will be my life partner than I have learned about myself. Looks really don’t matter. I just want someone fun, intelligent, and most importantly one wwho enjoys being with me.

That I despise men that cheat on their wife. That because of those feeling I *probably* would never cheat on my wife. I can’t say for sure that I wouldn’t because the situation has never presented itself. I do know three things, that it would show no respect for the relationship I was in, that I would despise my actions if I succumbed, and that sure as shooting I’d get caught. I just can’t hide those things. Everyone within ten thousand miles can tell I am lying by the look on my face.

Finding old friends is very rewarding and that you often impacted their life as much they have yours.

Sometimes my writing sucks. Sometimes My writing is very good.

To get of my ass and get my book done because although I don’t think I have enough talent to be published others do.

That at work I produce twice as much as people half my age.

That you have to be prepared to have your dreams come true.

That a hug from a stranger can make the day.

That I truly am different than the rest of the family.

Venting and laughing are both good for the soul.

That I have so much to be thankful for and I am the most thankful for all of you here and what you have taught me.Certainly I’ve learned a lot more from you than just the highlights posted here. What have you learned in the last year? Since the last time we celebrated the United States’ birthday? Inquiring minds want to know?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I've learned some of the same things you've learned, though I learned some of them earlier than just last year. Especially the first three you mention.

Of the others you mention, the only one I think I learned this year is that I am not alone in trying to deal with an aging and infirm parent. That alone is enough, so I won't worry about not having learned much of anything else this past year. I guess I learned a lot about Hospice. Even though we are no longer involved with it, I know the ropes and that it's out there when/if the time comes.

One thing I'll mention that I found a tad shocking. A longtime friend of my daughter's is looking for work, and mentioned that with all the excuses for "no" that he gets, they never tell the truth, that they aren't hiring some guy pushing 50. 50??? How can a friend of my daughter's be "pushing 50". Yes, he's 4 or 5 years older than she is, but aren't they all still just kids? Or at least 30-somethings? I get that I'm getting older, but somehow they are still just kids to me. {g}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I know what you mean about your daughter's friend. A couple of weeks ago one of my cousins had a heart attack. He seems to be doing OK now and is home from the hospital. However, this is a kid that used I used to give "horsey" rides too and used to sit on my knee. After the heart attack I asked how old he was, 49. Now I felt sorry he had heart attack but I also felt pretty damn old!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Wow, what have I learned? A whole bunch and I'm still learning. Many I share with you and Pat and one of the most important has been learning, through your blog, that I'm not alone, that those of us caring for elderly parents or for special children are in this together and that's been very important to me... learning that at one moment we're grateful to be able to help and the next moment we really would like to have a life and that finding the fine line between those two is tough.

I've learned that I really hate confrontations with my siblings, particularly sisters, but I'm not sure why and I'm not sure why so many things have to beocme a confrontation. So, I've learned that avoidance is sometimes the best approach.

I've learned that I need to take care of me, although that's still in the practicing stage. If I don't take care of me, I either go into high anxiety or resentment or frustration or some combination that exacerbates the panic disorder and/or contributes to physical ills. I've learned it's okay to take a piece of time for myself now and then, although it doesn't happen often, and to thoroughly enjoy it when it does.

I'm learning to take one day, one hour, at a time, to accept that what is, is and everyone is doing the best they can, with what they have to work with, at any given moment in time.

I've learned you can burn out on something you've enjoyed for years, be it business or teaching or (not enjoyable) dealing with toxic people in your life and you either eliminate the issues or change your perspective.

I've learned - especially recently - how important it is to put priorities back into your life, even if it means you feel momentary guilt for neglecting "shoulds" and "oughts."

I've learned that "observe, accept, don't judge, don't force," make life a lot easier, when you remember to practice the philosophy.

I expect I'll learn and relearn a lot more in the last half of the year, with all the changes coming, but I've also learned it's okay to be selfish on occasion, wonderful to be kind as often as possible and helpful and healthy to share and vent. Thank you for giving us all the opportunity to do so.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think all of us are still learning and when we stop it is over for us.

I don't like confrontations of any type! But sometimes you have no choice.

Taking care of ourselves is another thing I learned and that is one of the most important things for all of us to learn.

I've with you on the burnout, I am becoming more aware of when it is apporaching.

And during my birthday kindness meter you took kindness to a new level.

And thank you because I learn something from every vent on the blog and whenever we share out emotions.

Bill