Thursday, June 25, 2009

Should I Become Rich or Stay Poor? Hoax or Real?

The answer’s to yesterday’s trivia questions: Chickens can travel up to 9 miles per hour, 44 stars are in a can of Campbell’s Chicken & Stars Soup, If you simulate a longer day chickens will lay thicker and bigger eggs, Christmas is a good holiday in Japan to eat fried chicken and strawberry shortcake, and Brad Pitt used to dress up as chicken.

Today’s questions: What Samuel Beckett play’s London premiere was greeted with a mass walkout by the audience?, What four elements make up 90% of the human body?, Name the movie and the actor that said the following: “Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo?, What game show included contestants, Tom Selleck, Michael Jackson, Arnold Schwartzenegger, Farrah Fawcett, and Joe Namath? Which weighs more, hot water or cold water? According to the National Sausage and Hot Dog council, what did kids say they would prefer on their hot dogs as long as their mom wasn’t watching? How many bolts of lightening strike each day in the United States (be within 50,000)?

Yesterday I used sleazy television shows and sexy movies for ideas for my blog. Today I am using my own personal email. I need to know what you would do if you got the following email:

Dear Sir/Madam
I wish to notify you again that you were listed as a beneficiary to the total sum of USD$11,000,000.00 (Eleven Million United states Dollars) in the codicil and last testament of the deceased (Name now withheld since this is my second letter to you). I contacted you because you bear the same surname identity and therefore can present you as the beneficiary to the inheritance therein.
I therefore reckoned that you could receive this fund as you are qualified by your name and all the legal papers will be processed in your acceptance.
In your acceptance of this deal, I request that you kindly forward to me your letter of acceptance; your full name and occupation, current telephone and fax numbers and a forwarding address to enable me file all the necessary documents at our high court probate division, for the release of this sum of money. Please get back to me ASAP so as to get this done immediately: PLEASE KINDLY REPLY ME THROUGH MY PRIVATE EMAIL ADDRESS: fileclaim90@uku.co.uk


Yours faithfully,
Barrister William Henson


First of all this isn’t the second email to me because I never got the first one. Secondly, if I was to inherit any money they would send a certified or registered letter to my snail mail address. If they can find my email address, they can find my snail mail address. Last, I have no relatives that I know of in England. So what I am going to do is to ignore the email. What would you do?

Hope you enjoy all the richness around you today!

10 comments:

Mary Z said...

Delete, delete, delete!

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

That is kind of what I thought.

Bill

Mary Z said...

And, of course, never EVER!!! click on anything in the e-mail. Actually, don't even waste your time reading it.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

One of the reasons I posted this email is so others would know if they got an email like this it was a scam.

I'd never click on anything in a email unless I truly knew the person sending me the email. I also googled the supposed signer of the email and he didn't exsist.

Bill

Pat said...

Once again, I'll echo Mary Z:
Delete, delete, delete!

Don't know if I'll get to the questions at all today, as daughter and SIL are arriving today, and I really, really should get some cleaning done. Last minute? Me? Well, sure.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Enjoy the time with your daughter and don't worry about the questions!

Now I have to go clean house in case I get company!!

Bill

Lady DR said...

I'm with Pat and Mary Z. Delete immediately and don't even consider any links provided. I get these on average once a week, although they seem to run in cycles. They have an interesting variety of approaches, from some third world country ruler dying and the widow needing a place to send the money to the thing you describe. I usually can delete just based on the subject line.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I always delete the "Hi, I'm so and so and need you help". And then there is the Nigerian schedule. This is the first time I got anything like the email and wanted people to know it is out there if they are getting this type of email!

Bill

Anonymous said...

I just received the exact same email from Barrister William Henson, word for word. I receive and average of 3 of these scam emails per day. Does anyone know where to report them? I think there needs to be stronger action by everyone than to simply delete them.

William J. said...

Hello There Anon

And welcome to the blog. On AOL there is a feature that says "report spam", I always do that in hope AOL will do something.

At times I have also forwarded them to the local authorities or the State Police Department as many of those departments have an internet scam team.

Bill