Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Only A Puzzle Today

The last two blog entries kind of exhausted my writing skills as they were very emotonal to me as were some of the responses so I am taking a day off from writing to recharge my creative energies. Before the puzzle I would like to mourn the death today of Ed McMahon and send my love and empathy to his friends and family.

The answer to yesterday's "Who Am "?" was Gary Crosby, son of Bing.

Now todays's puzzle. Born in El Paso, Texas on March 26, 1930. I married in 1952. My husband and I have three sons. I have received two degrees from Stanford. Although I wrote a book with one of my brothers about growing up on a cattle ranch and also wrote a children's book my fame came from an occupation other than writing. Because of my gender, firms in California that practiced the occupation that one of my advanced degrees was in refused to hire me. That was despite graduating third in my class at Stanford. I retired in 2007 to take care of a relative with Alzheimer's. I served as a state senator in a state spotlighted in the 2008 presidential election. As being the first woman in a position I felt relief from the media pressure when Ruthie joined me. I was successfully treated for breast cancer in 1998. In 2001 Ladies Home Journal chose me as the most powerful woman in the United States. In 2004 I was listed by Forbes Magazine as the sixth most powerful woman in the world, with the only American women preciding me being fellow Stanford grad, a woman from New York and a well known Texas wife. Since my retirement I have been called to service a few times, wrote some articles, and taught some classes. Some of the awards that I have received? I am in the National Cowgirl Hall Of Fame. I was awarded the Liberty Medal in 2003. For my ideals of "Duty, Honor, Country" I was awarded the Sylvanus Thayer Award by the US Military Academy in 2005. I was also a grand marshall of The Rose Parade. In 2008 I was given the Franklin Award for commitment to community service. I am an avid golfer and scored a hole in one at the Paradise Valley Country Club in 2000. Who Am I?

May you have a bright day filled with love, fun, fulfilled wishes, and time with friends and family.

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Believe me, Bill, after what you've put into this blog, especially the last couple weeks, you're allowed a day off! Or two or three, if you need and want them.

Like you, I mourn the death of Ed McMahon. We're losing so many of our icons and I keep looking around for folks to replace them, people with ethics and integrity and kindness and charity and all. People kids and young adults can look to as mentors or examples.

I hope you got to rest and relax today.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thank you for the nice comments. I am at Mom's tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night. Thursday two business meetings and Friday a friend is takinng me out to lunch. But it is all non-thinking stuff so my mind should be refreshed! Tomorrow we may talk about moral dilemmas/

The thing about the new group of entertainiers is their language. I am anything butn a prude but using the "f" word in every sentance isn't entertainment, it is annoying.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Sounds like a busy few days.

I agree with you about the language of the entertainers. I'm not a prude and have been known to use some "not nice" language when I'm truly riled or frustrated, but I've never forgotten Daddy's comment that "anyone who can't talk without using vulgar or profane language is sadly lacking in vocublary skills, if not intelligence."

However, it goes beyond that. At the risk of sounding prudish, a lot of it is morality issues. Sports stars on steroids and abusing wives and girlfriends and using drugs. Wonderful role models. Singers and actors who change bedmates as often as I change my socks, who think it's perfectly okay to have multiple children out of wedlock, often with multiple partners. More great role models.
Politicians who don't understand why it's not okay to have "little affairs" on the side, so long as they remain with their wives and families in the public eye. Who don't hesitate to take gifts from special interests and then vote in their favor, claiming its in everyone's best interst. Right. More terrific role models.
The media is more than happy to pass on all this sensational news.
And all of the above making big bucks, living in huge homes, driving jazzy cars. Yes, there are those, thank the Lord, who do contribute to charity and communities and the overall good, but they seem to be in the minority (or else the media doesn't find that newsworthy). Either way, what kind of role models are being provided our kids and grandkids? Is it any wonder many of today's young and middle adults are more than a little confused about what ethics and integrity mean?

(Putting away soapbox - you caught me at a weak moment)

William J. said...

Hi DR

I like your soap box. I am not a prude either and if the friend I hung out with and knew from my self-discovery period would be reading this they would laugh at how righteous I sound. The dude that road a motorcycle through a bar is that righteous?

But I could not agree with you more. And this is worth repeating:

"However, it goes beyond that. At the risk of sounding prudish, a lot of it is morality issues. Sports stars on steroids and abusing wives and girlfriends and using drugs. Wonderful role models. Singers and actors who change bedmates as often as I change my socks, who think it's perfectly okay to have multiple children out of wedlock, often with multiple partners. More great role models.
Politicians who don't understand why it's not okay to have "little affairs" on the side, so long as they remain with their wives and families in the public eye. Who don't hesitate to take gifts from special interests and then vote in their favor, claiming its in everyone's best interst. Right."