Saturday, June 20, 2009

Life's Questions?

Yesterday’s Who Am I, was John Adams who opposed The Stamp Act of 1765. Today’s Who Am I is at the end of today’s blog entry.

First up are some questions that have been taking up a lot of my mind space lately and I thought maybe you might have some answers for me!!

How can a woman that used to send all her children to their room for talking with their mouth full at the dinner table now not make it through a meal without talking with her mouth full?

And just why can’t I send her to her room? I mean I am basically her parent now, so shouldn’t I be able to send her to her room?

How can people that hold bachelor degrees, masters degrees, and phd’s turn into idiots the minute they get behind the wheel of a car?

Why don’t people know that when they are on the freeway that all cars have a blind spot and if they ride in your blind spot they are endangering their life and yours?

Why do people think the turn signal in their cars are for decoration purposes only?

Why do people speed up to get to a red light?

Just exactly when did a Hummer become a compact car?

Why do you have to wash dishes before you put them in a dishwasher?

How can I lose two inches around the waist and gain a pound?

Why do people constantly interrupt when you are talking?

Why do people lose their ability to count accurately when they are in the 15 items only line at the grocery store?

Why do people go to a movie if all the want to do is talk with each other? Go to Starbucks and let me watch the movie in peace please.

Why do unsweetened juices have twenty-eight grams of sugar in them?

Why do people say, wow you look good “for your age”? Can’t I look good for another age too?

Just exactly when did a red light start to mean three more cars can go through the light?

Why isn’t the justice system about justice?

Why is the women’s prison system referred to as being in the penal system?

Today’s Puzzle:

One of my brothers was married to Ann Blyth. I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of The Dahn Report when he delivered some documents to my house for my wife, Peggy. Because I lived on a blind curve in Brentwood, California when Bill backed out of my driveway I directed traffic for him. Peggy and I married in 1948 and we had ten lovely children. I am noted for my singing but am also a comedian and a mimic. My first job in the entertainment business was in radio as a frequent guest on a famous fiddler’s show. When the fiddler’s show moved to television I moved with him. A tenor, the first song that I sang on radio was “Goodnight My Beautiful.“ I’ve done marvelous imitations of Ronald Coleman, Jimmy Durante, and Jimmy Stewart. From 1944 to 1946 I was a Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy. I had my own radio show from 1946 to 1951 and my own televison show from 1952 to 1954. I have also done the voices of several Disney Characters. I was born in New York on May 21, 1916 and died of Lou Gehrig’s Disease at the age of 72. My star still sits on The Hollywood Walk of Fame. Who Am I?

Today I would like to know what life questions are bothering you now or have in the past? Whether or not you have answers to my above life’s questions? And what famous person once directed traffic for me?

10 comments:

cd0103 said...

Still having trouble sending email. the person has intials that are the same for First and Last name.

William J. said...

Hi Connie

We will know if you are right tomorrow!

Bill

Mary Z said...

I agree, the person's first and last names start with the same letter.

Re the question: 'Why do people go to a movie if all the want to do is talk with each other?' We don't go to the movies often, but I solved that problem for me (mostly). We always sit in the back row. Keeps people from kicking the back of your seat, too. I do agree, though- and feel the same way about cell phones and texting during the movie.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Lately even if you sit in the back row you hear people talking several rows in front of you.

And I hate the cell phone thing, they announce at least three or four times for people to shut their cell phones off before the movie starts and always soome doofus still gets a call during a movie!

Bill

Pat said...

Gosh, lots of questions. Q of the day answer in email, and let's have at the others. I don't want this to go on for 7 pages, so will leave you to figure out which questions I'm answering.

**Because she got old?
**I carefully check my "blind spot" before changing lanes. Why doesn't everyone?
**Agree about non-use of turn signals. Super-annoying!
**All cars are compact cars in parking lots. According to their owners.
**My dishwasher hasn't worked for 15 years, so I don't know.
**You are gaining muscle, not fat.
**Because they are convinced what they have to say is more important than what you are saying. Or because they are rude idiots.
**People who talk in movie theaters should be shot.
**Nobody says "for your age" to me. If they do, they should also be shot.
**I believe in the law, but I also believe in justice. I long for the opportunity to say that when being considered for jury duty. {g}
**Penal System - LOL! A misnomer if I ever heard one.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

WHAT A GREAT ANSWER!!!

I wish everyone would check their blind spot before changing lanes!

I don't what is worse not using the turn signal or turning on the turn signal AFTER they get into a turn lane.

OK if I win the lottery tonight you get a new dishwasher.

I agree with shooting talkers in movies.

I hope you get selected for a jury so you can say that!!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Interesting questions...

You can't send her to her room because she'll always be Mom and, to her, you'll always be her little boy.
Degrees do not necessarily confer common sense, courtesy or the ability to think.
People don't use their turn signals because they're saving their batteries.
Hummers become compacts when there are no other spaces near the door/entry/whatever.
Like Pat, having not had a dishwasher for ten years, I have no idea on that one.
Pat's right - the weight is muscle.
People are quite capable of counting items, they just don't want to wait in long lines with people who have a lot of items, so they drop any sense of courtesy.
There is no excuse for talking through a movie.
The sugar in unsweetened juice is probably fructose, a natural sugar?
"You look good for your age," means a person doesn't know where to properly put a period and delete extraneous narrative or dialogue.
Somewhere there's a hidden law that says, "If you're within gunshot of the intersection, a red light means go like h*ll." The corollary to that is a green light means wait at least 10 seconds and check all directions before starting into the intersection.
The justice system cannot be about justice because it's run by the government.

My questions? I echo many of yours, plus a couple.

Why do stores in areas with large senior populations not have sufficient scooters for shopping and/or have so many with "out of order" signs?

Why do people pass on a road with double yellow lines?

Why do people not only talk at movies, but at lectures and during classes and presentations?
Why is it assumed that all people using walkers or in wheelchairs are hard of hearing and must be shouted at?

Why do most people continue to equate "success" with money and possessions and power, regardless of how they were gained?

I have lots more, but this is off the top of my head and this is already too long.

William J. said...

HI DR

ANOTHER GREAT ANSWER!

Well, since mom still cuts my meat in restaurants I guess I am still her little boy.

No wonder the sales of batteries have decreased.

You also get a dishwasher if I win the lottery.

Why don't I feel any stronger?

You look good would definitely be better grammer than you look good for yiou age.

I always wait for a couple of seconds before going through a green light so I don't hit the third that went through the red light.

I couldn't not agree with you more about the scooters at grocery stores in senior areas.

They pass on a road with double lanes because they didn't read the driver's test when they got their license.

Cell phones are lectures are also stupid.

I am going to have to quit yelling at my mom when she uses a walker.

Money can be measured, happiness can't.

And my new question, is why do people who write interesting posts think their posts are to long?

Bill

dona said...

Very good questions...Maybe if you started talking with your mouth full again....? Who knows..but then she might try to send you to your room!

Ok I will try to answer some of these in order....

~No common sense
~Again no common sense
~Ok are these the same idiots?
~Idiots
~Uhhh, Yesterday?
~This is why I have never had a dishwasher
~I am going with the muscle answer...I have a lot of it
~oops sorry..my bad?
~Rude, inconsiderate, idiots
~This is why I don't go to movies
~They were hoping you wouldn't read the ingredients
~I agree with Pat here...they should be shot
~My driving instructor told me that the yellow light means to go like h*ll to beat the red......Guess everyone had that instructor....
~ok agreeing with Ladydr here...


My questions? I have some but will just add one here.
Why is there a Text Messaging Competition? Isn't there enough idiots texting while driving now?

William J. said...

Hi Dona

ANOTHER GREAT RESPONSE!!

I've tried talking with my mouth full to not only protect myself but to let mom see how ugly it is!
Very good questions...Maybe if you started talking with your mouth full again....? Who knows..but then she might try to send you to your room!

Do I ever agree with you about text messaging while driving! Stupid, Stupid, and more stupid.

Bill