Friday, June 5, 2009

Updates And A Thank You To The Posters Here

The answer to yesterday’s question? Kim was right, they all run. Today other then being queens what do Mary Queen of Scots, Marie Antoinette, and Lady Jane Grey have in common? And since this is a special day a bonus question as a thank you to all of you for convincing my mom to try Utah! What do James Dougherty, Arthur Miller, and Joe Dimaggio have in common?

Another week bites the dust and it flew by. Update Day is here again. You know the drill. I want to know about everything going on in your life. The pains. The joys. The concerns. The questions. The events you either attended recently or are going to attend. How are you elderly parents doing? How are you children doing? How are you doing? Any jokes you want to share? Want to vent? Want to confess to anything? I need some excitement in my life so tell me a secret that would curl my toes. Or if you haven't posted lately, just stop by and say hi. If you have never posted come on and introduce yourself!

I owe all the posters here a lot. Thanks to all of you I changed my mind about Mom going to Utah. After your comments I changed from thinking it was a bad idea to thinking that it would be a great idea because if she does this trip successfully then it will open up doors for her. Doors to travel, for instance, to go see her brother in Arizona. And after reading your comments Mom has already decided to go to Utah for three weeks and told sis to pick the date. Mom has gone from being negative about the trip to being excited about it. She has already expanded her thinking to going there every three months. Sis and her husband would come up here for a week, then take mom to Utah for three weeks, bring mom back and stay a week here, then go back. Which would give me my life five weeks every three months. That would do so much for me! I honestly could expand my search to other cities for the one. I could explore classes in other cities. Or I could just stay here and be emotionally free for five weeks every three months. First baby steps. Let’s get this trip out of the way first and hope it is successful. This trip will just be three weeks. I will take Mom to Boise where we will meet sis and her husband. Then they will go on to Utah and I will come back home to do whatever I damn well please for three weeks for the first time since 2001. OK, everyone put your prayers, good vibes, positive thoughts, what ever you can muster my direct, Mom’s direction, and sister’s direction that this will happen! Not only happen but turn into a once every three month event!

Last week: Some pulling weeds, a little work, three days - two nights at mom’s and a few things that I am forgetting because I am so excited about the above!

Next week: Mom to the doctor early this morning where one of the questions will be “Is, mom OK to travel?“, my car to the doctor for her three month checkup, a seminar on Monday, three nights - four days at Mom’s, a couple of work assignments, exploring self-hypnosis, some reading, some freeway test driving, and some walking.

OK, your turn. Fess up. Tell me everything going in in your life! And give me the answer to what do the Mary Queen of Scots, Marie Antoinette, and Lady Jane Grey have in common. And what do James Dougherty, Arthur Miller, and Joe Dimaggio have in common?

Once again thank you all for being friends enough to give me advise and for your honesty!

4 comments:

Pat said...

Bill, you have all my good wishes and vibes for this to become reality. Wow, five weeks every three months! That's almost actually having a life!

Nothing too much new here. I got an engine light in my car Wed. night, and as it turns out, I correctly diagnosed it as being low on engine coolant. So funny when I open the hood of the car and look around not having a clue how anything works. But the reservoir for the coolant looked low to me, and when I took it to the mechanic the next day, he refilled it and that seems to have fixed the problem. Maybe the coolant is the leak that nobody seems able to find, and if it gets fixed, the car will stop dripping. But how much will that cost, and do I want to spend any more at all when I intend to buy a newer car pretty soon?

Mom seems to have had an exciting morning. The motion detector got accidentally repositioned, so she got up and into her wheelchair without anybody knowing she was on the move. She apparently had visited her suite-mate's bedroom, rooted around in her closet, made it to the bathroom and onto the throne before anybody knew she was up. Fortunately, she didn't get hurt, but we need to get that motion detector set more solidly. She's devious, is mom!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Yes five weeks every three months would be heaven for both sis and myself.

I'm glad the engine light was just low coolant! And how good of you to know what it was!

In a way you have to admire your Mom's spirit! However, it has to be frigtening for everyone that she got around the motion detector and the staff.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Bill, you've got lots of positive vibes and prayers headed to you, Mom and Sis. Five weeks to call your own every three months has to sound like a slice of heaven, after the last eight or nine years!

Pat, hope the coolant resolves the car problem. Otherwise, think "CarMax." As to your mom -- scary! She's one determined lady.

My week... less than a great start, then it was all Mom. Saturday I "deep cleaned" our bedroom, washing everything including curtains and vinyl blinds and moving all the furniture. Saturday night, we were at the ER at 8:00 pm. Fortunately, I checked out just fine for heart and other issues, but the massive panic attack was a real wakeup call for changing my thinking and attitude and approach. Been a long time since I've had one that made me think it was something worse and don't recall ever having one where chest pain went all across the chest, but there you have it. The ER staff was wonderful and the nurse asked if I had an stress or any history of anxiety. When I explained I had panic disorder and what was going on the last few months, she siad listening was enough to give her a panic attack (g). Sunday evening, I was stopping down and leaning out the door for a coffee can, when Spook thought she saw a squirrel and went barreling by me and I fell flat on my face on the patio. Scraped cheek and black eye. Things started looking up from there, fortunately (g).

Mostly a Mom Week. Monday was three loads of laundry, some cleaning, discussing the first mover's estimate, calling him with further questions, since he showed up early, before I got there. Saw the vet on Tuesday and she was speechless when Skeeter pranced in (remember, a year ago they gave Skeet 4-6 weeks to live). Vet is delighted she was wrong and said they weren't doing x-rays, blood tests or any shots and we should just keep doing whatever we were doing. Wednesday I typed up Mom's thank-you letter to be sent to all her well-wishers, took her to the internist and we did her grocery shopping. Thursday I did three more loads of laundry and went over all the moving estimtes to do comparisons. Today we saw the allergist's nurse, had a brief discussion about Mom at least seriously considering doing what the allergist and I suggested and did another set of swabs, as it appears the antibiotic didn't get the infection, then back to Mom's to wrap and freeze more stuffed animals (geez, where do they keep coming from?) and a bit of packing and wrapping and dusting. Meantime, the c/s rep at the allergy site continues to give advice and encouragement, which is really helpful, since she has an allergy to dust mites, as well. Mom is actually starting to wash and pack knick-knacks and is saying the move is going to be end of July, if she can find out Lake's plans. (Cross your fingers his comments about coming down and taking her to AZ were real)

I did five days at the pool and meditation every day, after the wake-up call on Saturday. Read a lot on Sunday from the book, "You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative THought," which I'd picked up at a garage sale several weeks ago and ignored til now. I need some remedial training, obviously. Did some research on an online sight that pays for "how to" articles, but the jury is still out on how legitimate it may be. That about covers it. Coasting right along. Figuring my full time job is dealing with allergens and getting Mom ready to move and doing as much as possible to reduce packing costs and such.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thanks for the good vibes and prayers!

Wow DR you are going to need a year's rest when you mom finally does move to Arizona.

The panice attack had to be terribly frightening. Both to you and to Himself. I'm really glad you had a good ER staff and a really with it nurse.

Then the fall and black eye! Not a good week at all. I hope everything is better for you.

YES Skeeter! I'm glad the vet was wrong too!

Of course you have my thoughts that Lake's comments were real!

The best DR, you need a break!

Bill