Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Ditch It & Shred It

Kindness meter: 4 done, 96 to go, 11 days to reach 100. Contest meter: 5 days until the official “what do these three things have in common” starts.

A Cape Lion, A Labrador Duck, and a Dodo are all extinct. Tweedledee & Tweedledum, Castor & Pollux, & Minneapolis-St. Paul are all twins. Today’s questions? What do the Original Star Wars in Theatres, Roots on TV, and Annie on Stage, have in common? What do Christmas, Easter, and Virgin have in common?

One of the questions I get asked a lot in my business is, “how long do I have to keep my records?”, followed by “what should I shred?” I thought I would share how I usually answer those questions.

A few things first. Laws are often different by state so before following any advise that I give you here check with a local professional. Second, there are two main reasons that you would keep records and those are for tax purposes and for legal purposes. I am not a lawyer, nor do I want to be one so before shredding or throwing out documents for tax reasons check to make sure there aren’t any legal reasons that you should keep the documents. One glaring example of a legal reason to keep records is a lawsuit where wages might come into play, if you had your w-2 forms for ten years it would give a nice history of your earnings and a possible projection of what you might make in the future. A legal reason to keep the documents ten years, when for tax purposes you could have ditched them long before.

Also follow the when in doubt rule. Also known as the better safe than sorry rule. If you aren’t sure if you should shred a document or just throw it away, shred it. If you are not sure whether or not to keep a document, keep it.

For tax purposes, documents fall into two main categories. Fixed Documents. Annual documents. An example of a fixed document would be the settlement statement when you purchased a house or the contract when you purchased a car. Examples of annual documents are W-2 forms, annual mortgage interest statements, annual pharmacy statements and so on.

The IRS can audit your tax return for three years after the due date of the return. For instance your 2008 tax return was due 4-15-09, the IRS can audit your return until 4-15-12. UNLESS, FRAUD IS INVOLVED. UNLESS YOU FILED AN EXTENSION. If fraud is involved the IRS can audit it forever. If you filed an extension of time to file your return you willingly gave the IRS an additional six months to audit your return. Since I love everyone here and know that none of you would ever consider defrauding the IRS you should keep all *annual* records that you used to prepare your 2008 tax return until 4-15-12 (or 10-15-12 if you filed an extension.) Keep all *annual* documents that you used to prepare your 2007 return until 4-15-11 (10-15-11 for extension filers.) For 2006 returns keep all *annual* records until 4-15-10 (or 10-15-10 if you didn’t get your chit together and filed an extension.) Assuming that you didn’t file an extension you can now ditch all *annual* records used to prepare your 2005 and earlier tax returns.

Fixed documents, like house purchase records, car purchase records, etc should be kept for four years after the year the asset in question is either sold, given away, retired, reported lost, or stolen. Sold your house in 2008, keep both the purchase and sale documents of that house until at least 4-15-12,

What should you shred? Basically everything with an address, a name, a social security number, or an account number on it. A bank account number, a credit card account number, etc. About the only thing I don’t shred are credit card receipts. In Oregon, the law requires anyone accepting your credit card to show ONLY the last four digits of your credit card number on the credit card receipt. Since it would be almost impossible for anyone to figure out your credit card number with just the last four numbers, I just cross out the name on the credit card receipt and ditch it. Your homework today is to check your last credit card receipt and to see how many of your account numbers appear on that receipt and then report to me what your state does.

Any questions? You may be tested on this later. And what do the Original Star Wars in Theatres, Roots on TV, and Annie on Stage, have in common? What do Christmas, Easter, and Virgin have in common?

12 comments:

Pat said...

Answers today by email.

Good information there on what to keep and what can go. I have tons of stuff that should go, but I just have a little shredder that takes one page at a time, so I put off doing it. I started burning stuff in the fireplace, but it created too much ash, so I took to tearing off the pertinent information (name, acc't number, SS number) so I could burn the incriminating bits and recycle the rest. It made a much smaller pile to burn, and some of it still sits by the fireplace in a trash bag awaiting the next fire... we don't do that all that much in SoCA. But there's plenty left to get rid of, between my own excess paper and my mothers, so I really should get to it.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I also have one of those shredders and it is boring as hell to shred the documents on page at a time. However, now that I am on a mission to declutter my life I am getting rid of everything.


Bill

Pat said...

I wouldn't even mind that it's a cheapo one-or-two page shredder if I didn't have to also look for and remove staples first. I just tear off the stapled corner before shredding, but it's still kind of a drag.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Staples really are a pain in the arse. Really on everything from scanning to shredding.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Great information on the keeping/ pitching and shredding/recycling, Bill, especially since we're going through so much paperwork at Mom's for the move. I got lucky and picked up a shredder on a sale for under $25 that does three or four pages at a time, but you have to let it rest a few minutes after about a dozen passes. Since it sits behind my office chair, not a big deal. Marketing (and greed) being what they are, I think the price of shredders has gone up a lot, since I got mine several years ago, before identity theft became a major headline. I'm sure not seeing anytyhing with the capabilities I have for anything like the price I paid!

I tend to keep more than I probabaly need to. At this point, with Mom, we're pretty much shredding everything. I can't imagine she'd ever be considered for an audit and, if she is, they'll have to imprison her in an assisted living facility!

Other answers in email

William J. said...

Hi DR

There are some good shredders out there, it is just that you hate to get rid of a working one that you already have!

I also keep more than I need to. And has that ever become clear the last few weeks! The IRS has before audited a six year-old and a ninety-eight year-old. But I think your mom is probably safe!

Bill

Mary said...

Those of you in the market for mass shredding might look around to see if there's a commercial machine available in your neighborhood. Our local Top Foods has a huge one, you can use it for $2 a minute, but it works so fast I could get rid of every bit of extra paper in this house in two minutes. It's a good motivator to get stuff out of here, knowing it will be quick and easy.

Nice info, Bill. I get asked that question all the time too. The only thing I would add, and I'm sure I see this much more than you do, is the three years is from the time you actually filed. I have a lot of people who don't file by the extension deadline either, so their three years is actually longer. I'm sure there's no one here in that boat, though.

William J. said...

Hi Mary

You post reminded me that sometimes news organizations like Channel 8 here and charity organizations will hold events that will allow you to shred two big garbage bags of paper either free or for a five dollar donation.

And of course you are right about those filing beyond the extension deadline. The Statue of Limitations doesn't start running until you file your return!

Bill

redwhistle said...

I recently had to pull IRS documents going back to 1975. Good thing I hadn't shredded them even though IRS had copies or? I didn't have to produce them for IRS but for another governmental agency and was glad I had them! Perhaps this was just a rare situation. And for yet another situation recently I had to produce a document from a 1996 lawsuit -- glad I still had that paperwork as well as it could have cost me losing out on a large amt of money.

William J. said...

Hi Red

I am guessing in some ways your situation isn't that all unusual and other ways it is.

I do think if you had just the tax returns without the backup receipts that would have worked too.

That is why I keep the actual tax return. But I get rid of all the backup documents.

Thank God you kept the things you needed!

Bill

Lady DR said...

There are also some office supply stores who allow you to use their commercial shredders for a small fee. My brother did that, when they cleaned out years worth of old documents that had account or SS numbers on them. Hauled garbage bags of paper in and it was done in very short order

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Good information!

Bill