Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Moral Dilemmas & Chicken Trivia.

Sandra Day O’Conner was the answer to yesterday’s question. Today’s trivia is after today’s blog entry.

I’m not above using sleazy television shows or movies with a lot of sex scenes in them for subjects to discuss on my blog. Today we get the idea for the moral dilemmas from The Real Housewife’s Of New Jersey and from THE READER.

The Real Housewife’s of New Jersey is a reality show on Bravo. I never knew it existed until I read about it on a blog I frequently visit. I watched a couple of episodes of the show and it turned out to be my cocaine, I got addicted. Rich bitches and drama queens and one woman true to herself. Who could want more? But it begs a couple of questions. A couple of moral dilemmas. What would you do if in your circle of friends you found out that one of them had a shady past? Maybe she used to be a prostitute. Maybe she changed her name. Maybe she spent time in jail. This came to light because a book was found that had been written about her. If you were the one that found the book, would you out the woman behind her back? Would you make the book public by taking it to a local hair salon? Would it matter to you because it was 24 years in the past and it really isn’t who she is now? And what if you were the woman that the book was about and you knew who outed you? Would you go to that woman and confront her in private or would you wait until everyone in your circle of friends were together for dinner at a popular restaurant to confront her? Here is my thinking on the subject:

We all make mistakes, we all deserve to be accepted for who we are TODAY not who we were twenty-four years ago. If I had found out about the book I would have not made it public, I would have gone to the woman that was the subject of the book and let her know about the book being out. Then I would have suggested that she go privately to each one in the circle of friends and out herself. I would basically let it be her decision not mine. If I liked her today, the book wouldn’t matter, I’d still like her. If I didn’t like her today, I’d fell a little more sorry for her but I still wouldn’t like her. And if the book was about me, I’m going directly to the person that brought the book to light to confront her. No public scenes for me. What would your game plan be as either the subject of the book or as the outer of the book?

Now the next dilemma. I finally got around to watching THE READER. Good story. Good cinematography. Great acting. Ralph Fiennes and Kate Winslet give absolute stunning performances. Where it went off track for me is when a man didn’t act with the morality that I thought he should act with. Basic story; teen has an affair with a woman twice his age. Flash forward ten years and the teen is a law student observing a Nazi war trial. The woman who had suddenly disappeared from the teen's life ten years earlier is now on trial for war crimes. She was a guard at a concentration camp during war. The woman is illiterate. She is found guilty and sentenced to life in prison. During the trial the young law student discovers something about the woman that could save her from that life in prison. The woman could save herself but if the secret comes out it would be extremely embarrassing to her. She would rather go to prison for life then to have people know this secret. The law student can save her by going to the judge but he doesn’t, respecting the woman’s willingness and right to keep the secret to herself. What would you do if you could save the person that you were once in love with, that taught you the finer things in life, shared many touching moments with, by going to the judge and telling him the secret that could save her from that life in prison? Do you ignore the want of the woman to keep the secret? Or do you save her from a life in prison? I’m sorry I’d go to the judge and save the woman from the life in prison. I’d tell the secret. She would get over people knowing the secret and I just couldn’t wish a lifetime of suffering on any woman that I loved or had loved. What would be more important to you? Saving the woman from a life in prison or the woman’s right to keep the secret? What would you do?

Today’s trivia: What is the fastest a chicken can run? How many stars does the Campbell Soup Company use in its canned Chicken & The Stars Soup? In Japan what holiday is a good day to eat fried chicken and strawberry shortcake? If you change the lighting to make the day seem to be 28 hours long a chicken will do what? And last but not least, what actor held a job as a costumed chicken for El Pollo Loco Restaurant?

May this be a rewarding day for you!

10 comments:

Mary Z said...

I don't have a clue on any of those questions! Congratulations!

William J. said...

Msry Z

I finally stumped you!!! It just took a few chickens to do it!

Bill

Pat said...

I haven't watched Housewives of New Jersey at all. I saw little bits of the Orange County ones and the New York ones, and from what I've heard of NJ Housewives, they are finding even more women who behave as though they are still in Jr High School.

If I found out about a friend's past, I'd probably tell her I knew, but wouldn't out her. I would find it amusing and interesting and would hope she'd tell me something about her hooker days. If there was a book, I'd tell her about it and let her decide what to do. What did the NJ "girls" do?

In THE READER, I was also a little disappointed by Fiennes' character. But I don't know what I'd do. I'd probably visit and try to talk the woman into revealing her secret, because really, who would care? But I'd probably respect her decision in the end. Someone I had been in love with? Maybe that might change things, maybe not, I have no idea.

Too many trivia questions for one day! I may take a stab at a couple of them. Or not. [g]

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I like the idea of going to her but in the end I wouldn't respect her opinon. I would rather have her hate me then for her to spend a life in prison.

As to the trivia questions here are some clues. Not in Order

B.P.

Single digits but as close to double digits as you can get.

Six less then the number of stars on a flag.

34th Street

Harder vs. softer.

Bill

dona said...

These are some wild questions you have today!
About the Reader..haven't seen it yet.

NJ housewives, a bunch of characters.
I got hooked on the Orange County Housewives and find I actually like the New York ones the best. I found the Atlanta ones were a joke. I think I watch them because I just cannot believe how/where they get all this money to do these things we see them do on the shows. Botox parties, Boob jobs.....Its just crazy.
Now on the NJ housewives...I am not sure the outing was done in a correct way. But sometimes I think most of this stuff is scripted.
But as for your question, I am with you and believe we all make mistakes...we are all human, can we change, sure....but then again can you know for sure you can trust her/him with those accusations on the table? Probably not..but every circumstance is different.

OMG....did I just say "Boob" on your blog?

:)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Better you saying boob on my blog then me!!

I was kind of wondering where they get the money to do all they things they do in New Jersey too! I mean plastic surgery is certainly a lot more expensive then any woman I know can afford.

I also think the shows are scripted and they act that way because the cameras are rolling and might not act that way out of sight.

Bill

Lady DR said...

First, have to admit I've never watched Housewives nor seen The Reader. That said...

If I found a woman I liked had engaged in a shady past and it was revealed in a book, I'd go to her privately and let her know what I'd found. I agree it wouldn't make any difference in how I feel about her now, most likely. A lot of us make a lot of mistakes, particularly in our early adult years, and usually pay for them in one way or another about the time we make them. I know a number of people (including myself) who did some pretty stupid things thirty years or so ago. Those same people are totally different individuals now and I often think it's what we learn from our mistakes that may make us better people. I'd leave it up to the friend to decide what she wanted to do with the knowledge her past had been put in print.
As to the Reader. That's tougher. I think I'd need to know the reason she'd rather go to jail than admit to an embarrassment, before I could make a judgement call on how to handle the situation. Is it an embarrassment that will hurt others? Is itn one that she can overcome? Why is she willing to go to prison than have it revealed? If I know all those answers, it would be easier to decide, but my gut inclination would be to do my utmost to get her to 'fess up and live free.

Under the heading of moral dilemmas and my rant yesterday, SC has just hit the nat'l news in a negative manner. The DJ on the C/W station I listen to put it best: "You've probably heard the news by now. Our governor was not out hiking the Appalachian Trail last week. He was in Argentina cheating on his wife, by his own admission." And we're expected to respect this man and trust him to lead our state? He was a major power in the Republican party in the southeast and nationally and he threw it all away. Why?

As to the trivia questions... I may take a shot at some of them later.

William J. said...

Hi Dr

Ad me to the list of people that did stupid things 24 years ago and am probably doing some stupid things now. I also think a lot of us learn from our mistakes but some don't.

The secret in The Reader wasn't about anyone else it wouldn't hurt anyone if it came out. The woman would have just been embarassed. I don't even think it would have hurt her if it came out. I will divulge the secret at the end of the post so if anyone has plans and don't want to know the secret stop reading this now.


The story about your gov is just to sad for words and so many people were hurt by is selfishess, what a jackass.


Bill


PS



She couldn't read or write.

Pat said...

I don't think those Housewives shows are scripted because I can't imagine a professional writer coming up with such drivel. OTOH, some situations may be set up or suggested to them, who knows? Who cares?

I don't find the Mark Sandford situation sad, I find it funny. In his press conference, he seemed confused between Appalachia and Argentina, and rambled on about both. Wasn't he a "Promise Keeper" and all vocal about God and morality? Or was that John Ensign who had a more pedestrian affair with the wife of one of his staffers?

Yes, you have to feel sorry for the wives, but it puzzles me how these guys always seem to think they'll be the ONE who gets away with it.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

See I always thought those thins were scripted because nobody would be that stupid by themselves.

I think Mark Sanford trying to explain where he was and what he did is funny. But cheating on his wife, I find sad because so many people were hurt.

Bill