Monday, August 30, 2010

An Award Winning Monday

The Emmy Awards were last night and of course I watched. However, before we talk Emmys, Fashion, Surprises, and Right Choices here is an award winning video featuring our own DR. I know some of us have already seen the video but it is definitely worth watching. DR is second from the left in the front row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7BYUE54b5M

Now on to The Emmys. I was extremely disappointed that Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton from Friday Night Lights didn't win best actor and actress award. I will say this over and over again. Friday Night Lights is the best drama on TV. Nor is there a better acted show on TV. Chandler and Britton portray marriage in a very realistic light. FNL just has never found an audience because to many people think it is just about football. It isn't. Life in a small town. High school dilemmas. Life's choices. They have dealt with loss, gain, abortion, the war, and done it tactfully and realistically. It deserved more nominations and more awards.

George Clooney was a class act as always. He is who I would want to be like if I ever became famous. The fashion? Actually the stars in generally dressed appropriately. Men were mostly in basic tuxes and the women were mostly glamorous. January Jones missed the mark. Jennifer Carpenter's dress was good enough but I hated her hair style. I didn't like Jane Lynch's outfit as much as the experts did. The most awful dress of the night award goes to Stephanie Pratt. It looks like Kelly Osbourne and Kim Kardashian may have finally figured it out because they looked great, as did Tina Fey, Sofia Vergara and of course Connie Britton. Claire Danes was my favorite, she was absolutely stunning. Maybe it was because she looked a lot like an ex girl friend of mine. I probably should have noticed the girl friend was that beautiful when I dated her. You can check out all the outfits here:

http://awards.tv.yahoo.com/photos/140-2010-emmys-red-carpet-report-card#OmgPhoid=2

The following is a list of winners for the night. I list the category first, the winner second, and the one I wanted to win last. If there is no comment after the winner that means I was pleased with the choice. I was glad to see Top Chef win but found it ironic that they won while their worst season is going on. Tom looked lost and Padma acted drunk which is pretty much a definition of how this season is going. Here is the list:

Best Drama Series - 'Mad Men' - The Good Wife.

Best Series, Comedy - 'Modern Family' - Didn't Care.

Best Actor, Drama - Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad - Kyle Chandler, FNL.

Best Actress, Drama - Kyra Sedgwick, The Closter - Connie Britton, FNL.

Best Actor, Comedy - Jim Parsons, Big Bang Theory.

Best Actress, Comedy - Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie - Didn't Care.

Best Supporting Actor, Drama Series - Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad - Terry O'Quinn, Lost.

Best Supporting Actress, Drama Series - Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife.

Best Supporting Actor, Comedy Series - Eric Stonestreet , Modern Family - Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother.

Best Supporting Actress, Comedy Series Jane Lynch 'Glee' - Didn't Care.

Outstanding Reality-Competition Program - 'Top Chef' - 'The Amazing Race'.

Guest Actress in a Drama Series - Ann Margret 'Law and Order: SVU'.

Guest Actor in a Drama Series Ann Margret John Lithgow, Dexter - Beau Bridges, The Closer.

Guest Actress in a Comedy Series Betty White, SNL.

Guest Actor in a Comedy Series - Neil Patrick Harris 'Glee'.

Outstanding Made For Television Movie - 'Temple Grandin.

Outstanding Miniseries - 'The Pacific'.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or A Movie - Claire Danes 'Temple Grandin'.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or A Movie - Al Pacino 'You Don't Know Jack'.

Hope this is an award winning day for all of you! As always your comments are appreciated.

WHO AM I?

I am an American artist that was born in 1926 and died in 2009. I was also married to an artist and often collaborated with him. My career as an artist and an activist spanned fifty years. My engagement with contemporary political, social, and cultural concerns is renowned. I chronicled wars and apocalyptic violence as well as articulating visions of ecstatic rebirth and the celebratory cycles of life. My network of collective and individual voices was a catalyst for the creation of my figurative lexicon representing women from pre-history to the present in epic-scale paintings and collage on paper. After graduating from high school I graduated from the Art Institute Of Chicago. Among my peers at the art school was a young GI who had just returned from duty during WWII. I went off to study art in Paris but when I returned I married him. We lived and painted in Italy raising our two sons there. My third son was born in Paris. When we returned to New York the Vietnam War was raging and the Civil Rights Movement were exploding. Inspired by the images I saw on television I started painting a series on war. Being an activist and an early feminist I was a member of the Women Artists In Revolution and was a founding member of the women's cooperative gallery, A.I.R. My paintings often re-presented obsured women's histories, cultural mythology, and literary references. My wall paintings in Chicago, Vienna, Dresden, Toronto, and Derry form poetic reconstructions of the diversity of representations of women from the ancient to the contemporary world, validating a subjectivity of female experience. I am a member of the American Academy Of Arts And Letters. If you are not sure who I am think of "THE TORTURE OF WOMEN" during history and look at "THE NOTES IN TIME OF WOMEN" and that should help you answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I just looked at the gallery because I only saw a few last night. So here's a mini fashion critique from someone who admits to being unfashionable.

I didn't much like Heidi Klum's very short dress, was ambivalent about January Jones's. I liked Jane Lynch's, hated Anna Pacquin's, wasn't crazy about Tina Fey's, didn't like Stephanie Pratt's (who is she, anyway?). And who is Jennifer Carpenter? Her dress was okay, and her hairstyle just looks like long hair worn down to me. Pretty much hated Christina Hendricks' dress. Don't know who Sofia Vergara is, but her dress is lovely, as is Clare Danes'. Amy Pohler's and Rita Wilson's were awful.

Mostly, I thought all the women looked very beautiful and reasonably tasteful. There was one producer (forgot already what show) who I was afraid was going to have a serious wardrobe malfunction with a strapless dress too low and too loose on top, but except for one bad moment as she approached the stage, she made it through.

What is really surprising is how many of these people I've never heard of, nor do I recognize them in the photos. I didn't much care who won anything this time, but I was glad to see Top Chef win. Many of this year's nominees I've never seen at all.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Your unfashionable? If they would have asked me who I was wearing my answer would be, K-Mart.

We agree on Klum's way to short for a formal event. I had to look up Pratt and she was on The Hills on MTV, is a reality star and Heidi Montag's sister-in-law. Jennifer Carpenter is an actress most noted for The Exorcism of Emily Rose. I thought both Rita Wilson and Tom Hanks looked a little cheesy. Sofia Vergara is more noted for being a model than an actress. I also thought most of the women were tasteful in your dress. I remember the producer you mentioned because she made it more noticeable by continually pulling her dress up as she walked up to the state. Like you I've never heard of a lot of these people and I guess that means we don't watch to much television!

Bill

Lady DR said...

Thanks for posting the link, Bill. I thought putting it in my msg was enough, without you having to do anything.

Since I don't watch TV, afraid I can't comment on the Emmyys. I'll just say I had a good day myself (g)

William J. said...

Hi DR

Putting in the message is enough the only problem is that they just can't click on the link, they have to cute a paste it. If I put it in the post I can easily create a link that they just click on. From my blog information at least three people watched the video from here.

Glad you had a great day!!

Bill