Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sue Me, Hire Me, Don't Divorce Me.

I'm back but to emotionally exhausted to talk about personal things so on the blog we are going to do three articles. The idiotic, the obvious, and the insane. You have to guess which is which.

Do you think the guy in the article should be suing the people that made a citizens arrest?

http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/article/burglar-michael-dupree-sues-victim-anthony-mckoy-for-rough-citizens-arrest/19577744?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl9|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fweird-news%2Farticle%2Fburglar-michael-dupree-sues-victim-anthony-mckoy-for-rough-citizens-arrest%2F19577744

If he had turned out to be innocent I would fully support the lawsuit. But if any jury sides with the convicted Burglar I will run nude through my house. Think Dupree has any chance of winning? Are you for or against the lawsuit?

Next up is an article about unemployment and how it leads to the loss of friendships.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2010/08/03/unemployment-effects-no-job-no-friends/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl5|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fjobs.aol.com%2Farticles%2F2010%2F08%2F03%2Funemployment-effects-no-job-no-friends%2F

To me it just makes sense if you have no place to go to everyday you have decreased your friendship pool. It is also pretty common to lose touch with people you work with when you don't see them daily. This isn't really a surprising article to me, is it to you?

According to the next article people are staying together and avoiding divorce even when the romance is gone. In some cases they date others, some cases they still live together because it is cheaper, sometimes it is easier for the children if the parents stay together.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/08/02/the-un-divorce-when-leaving-your-marriage-is-just-too-much-wor/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.politicsdaily.com%2F2010%2F08%2F02%2Fthe-un-divorce-when-leaving-your-marriage-is-just-too-much-wor%2F

I'm certainly not a fan of staying together for any of the reasons mentioned in the article. Divorce and move on with you life. Don't let money rule love and marriage. What do you think of the trend? For it? Against it? Maybe in some cases?

Who Am I?

Yesterday's answer: Lillian Moller Gilbreth

I was born in 1797 the daughter of a farming family who had a hardscrabble childhood. My father died when I was six and we all pitched in to fun the farm. . Lyon was thirteen when Mom remarried and moved away. I stayed behind in order to keep house for my brother who took over the farm. I attended various district schools intermittently and taught in them as well. My modest beginnings fostered my life-long commitment to extending educational opportunities to girls from middling and poor backgrounds. I was eventually able to attend two secondary schools. During these early years I gradually developed a vision for a Female Seminary. The college was unique in that it was founded by people of modest means and served their daughters, rather than the children of the rich. The college that I founded opened and I strove to maintain high academic standards. I set rigorous entrance exams and admitted no students under the age of 16. I limited the tuition to $60/year, about one-third the tuition at other female seminaries. I was an early believer in the importance of daily exercise for women, required students to walk one mile after breakfast. In order to keep costs low I required students to perform domestic tasks—an early version of work/study. I also paid my teachers relatively poorly. Though my policies were sometimes controversial, the seminary quickly attracted its target student body of 200. I anticipated a change in the role of women and equipped my pupils with an education that was comprehensive, rigorous, and innovative, with particular emphasis on the sciences. I required seven courses in the sciences and mathematics for graduation, a requirement unheard of at other female seminaries. I introduced women to "a new and unusual way" to learn science—laboratory experiments which they performed themselves. I organized field trips on which students collected rocks, plants, and specimens for lab work, and inspected geological formations and recently discovered dinosaur tracks. I died of erysipelas (possibly contracted from an ill student in her care.) Let's play charades to give you a final clue. The college she founded is two words. The second word is two syllables. First syllable in the second word is used to describe the water served in church. The second syllable in the second word can be used to describe a tree or a peace of furniture. The first word is one syllable that can be used to describe how someone gets on a horse or a beautiful but often daunting geological structure that some people climb. Who Am I?

6 comments:

dona said...

For what Lawsuit? I couldn't get past anything after reading
"I will run nude through my house"

:)

Pat said...

LOL, Dona! But it would have more impact if Bill had said, "I will run nude through my neighborhood".

As to the articles, well, the first one is definitely idiotic, and I sure hope the judge throws out the case.

The second one doesn't seem obvious to me, but I can sure see how it could work that way, so it's not particularly surprising. I got laid of often, because that's the way the film biz works, and since a lot of my social life was tied up with people from whatever show I was working on, that would come to a halt, too, to one extent or another. So I get it, and if you don't have a reserve to fall back on, it would be doubly hard on you and your social relationships, I imagine.

I just heard of the un-divorced on the radio, and that didn't surprise me, either. If you're young and into romance and new boy or girlfriends, then I'd say it's probably better to divorce and move on. But to each his own, and if this works for people, more power to them. I pretty much agree with the final comment in the article, except for her last sentence. If you're looking for "someone new", have the courage to break with the old, I'd say.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

LOL, I didn't say I would take pictures.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Interesting articles. Hope the lawsuit is thrown out of court. There's a real simple question here -- what was in the police report? Was the guy on the ground, with a knee in his back or being held in a hammerlock? Criminals suing victims just doesn't sit right with me.

Unemployment impact... yes, I can see where it would impact friendships, at a time you most need them. First, if most of your social life/friendships are built around work, you lose all of that, along with the job, quite often. Second, you hesitate to be in situations where the first question is, "How's the job hunt going?" when your answer is a negative. Third, if the self-esteem is slipping, you suddenly feel you're "imposing" to talk with friends about your troubles. OTOH, if that's the case, how close was the friendship?

Undivorce? I think this has to be decided by each couple. I'm with Pat - if you're young, into romance, want children or more children and really can't resolve the issues, it's better to cut your losses and look for a better life. The flip side is we've several friends who no longer have a great deal of romance in their lives, have separate bedrooms, often almost separate areas of the house, but they're still friends and get along well. In some cases, one or both may be seeing others, but usually not in an intimate manner, I guess you'd say. I've observed that people may grow in different directions as they get older and expand their interests and after they retire. They still love and like and respect each other, but their lives are not a romance novel. However, the marriage survives quite nicely. Now, if it came to separate houses and never seeing each other, I would question the sense of staying together, I think.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I actually considered the run through the neighborhood but then I remembered some idiot rulings judges and juries sometimes make so I had to do a challenge I could live with.

I never thought of it but when a movie ended or a TV show ended everyone would go there separate ways. I did Gary Crosy's tax return one year and he had something like twenty-two W-2 forms despite being on Adman-12 full time. Even then sometimes if they had a different producer it would mean a different W-2 form.

I always like how you are able to not judge people. I also don't agree with the last sentance and if you are looking for someone new living with an ex is going to eliminate some probably good people of the opposite sex.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

They did say in the article the guy was nude which would indicate to me he was on drugs which often translates in having more strength and being more quickly agitated. The chances of me voting for him on a jury even after hearing the facts would be slim or none. If he hadn't been stealing he wouldn't have been hurt.

Unitl I took the seasonal job a couple of years ago I didn't realize how much I missed the comrade of co-workers but I don't talk to them the rest of the year.

I think each couple deciding there own way to divorce is a good thing but it does bug me a little when they file joint tax returns to save taxes if that is the only reason they are together. Seems like fraud to me. If they are together because they are friends just not lovers more power to them!

Bill