Sunday, August 29, 2010

I'll Drink To That!

Relaxing Sunday here. Update Day will return next Sunday. Of Course you are free to post whatever is going on in your life any day of the week and anywhere on the blog. Who Am I returns tomorrow. Yesterday's answer was June Claire Wayne. You can see some of Wayne's art work here:

http://www.junewayne.com/malibu-art-review.htm

Click on the links on the left of the page titled; "The Dorothy Series", "Selected Works" and "My Palomar Series." What do you think of her art work? She is very versatile in the opinion of my untrained eye.

Now let's talk about drinking. Here is a quote from an article I just read about healthy drinking options

"You already know that drinking water is key to your health. Downing at least six cups of water daily can minimize bloating, prevent headaches, help prevent you from getting sick and smooth the appearance of wrinkles. It may even temporarily rev your metabolism, if you drink it on the cool side (72 degrees)"

What if you couldn't drink water? Maybe there was an earthquake that put dirt into your water delivery system and you had to go without water for a while. Here is the link to the above article with some other options:

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/healthieryou/tired-water-read

If you couldn't drink faucet water would you want to drink bottled water? If you choose bottled water don't leave it in your car. Here is some information that my cousin Belva sent me:

Bottled water in your car is very dangerous. On the Ellen show, Sheryl Crow said that this is what caused her breast cancer. It has been identified as the most common cause of the high levels of dioxin in breast cancer tissue.

Besides water here are some other tips:

Don't put plastic containers, plastic water bottles in freezers or plastic wrap in microwaves. When you microwave a doctor recommends using glass, such as Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. TV dinners, instant soups, etc., should be removed from their containers and heated in something else.

There was some other information in Belva's email that I may share at a later date but this is enough information for you to mull over for now.

Hope this is a great Sunday for you with healthy food and tasty drinks!

Your Comments are always appreciated.

8 comments:

Lady DR said...

Good articles. I like Wayne's lithographs in the Dorothy section. The others didn't do a lot for me, but I'm no art critic!

Water, yes! In addition to benefits she lists, water keeps you hydrated in general, which improves concentration, improves balance and goes a long way to reducing or preventing inflammation in bones, joints and muscles.
Also, yes to the danger of bottled water in the car, especially when it's hot. Since I try to drink a LOT of water to reduce inflammation, I picked up a thermal "go" cup, which holds sixteen ounces and use it at home and when buzzing around town. Even after a few hours, there's still ice left. They're not all that expensive (I found mine at Walgreens) and they keep you in water and out of danger. I buy the big containers of bottled water and keep in the office refrig, as I don't care for what comes out of the faucet.

Okay, I do want to report on one event this week, even if we're not doing updates. The Carolina Girlz did a line dance show for an assisted living center and it was an absolute hoot! I'm not sure who had the most fun. Pat, you and Bill have seen it, but for the rest of you, and the lurkers, if you'd like to see what I do for kicks, here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7BYUE54b5M

I'm second from the left in the front row. The spunky gal at the right end of the front row is our Illustrious Leader. Maryanne did the video and splicing and set up and all. (I think she may be declared an honorary Carolina Girl, even though she has no interest in dancing).

Bev Sykes said...

The bottled water story is a myth.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080413170437AAFzSDo

Whew. I was fairly certain that if it were really true we would have seen lots of exposés and warnings from the FDA about it.

I was relieved to read the truth, because I keep bottled water in my car all the time and live on it when I'm taking a trip.

Pat said...

I'm relieved to hear there's no problem with bottled water, also. I don't leave water in the car often, because cars get too hot in SoCA, and who wants to drink hot water? For some years, I'd freeze half a bottle-full of water, fill it with room-temp water for travel. It would stay cold pretty much all day.

I also re-used plastic bottles, but when the warnings came out, I replaced them somewhat more often. These days, I carry a small stainless steel water bottle in my purse and only rarely leave it in the car. I do buy fluoridated bottled water in the gallon containers since our water isn't fluoridated. I usually keep 4 or so gallons around in case of emergency, replacing them as I drink them down. I also usually have some juice (in plastic bottles) around, a few sodas and Tejava iced tea, so I guess I'd not die of thirst immediately if the water supply went down.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I am going to put a link to the video in tomorrow's post. I've seen it and it is a day brightener. It definitely qualifies as good people doing nice things!

I actually like most of Wayne's works but it does show a very tortured thinker in most of them. I like painting that celebrates the good.

I'm on a mission to drink a lot more water now. I usually like you use a cannister or a container or a thermal cup.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Bev

According to Snoops it isn't all that simple because not all water bottles are made out of the same chemicals and it also depends on whether or not the bottle is meant to be thrown away or reused. Here is the link to the Snoops article that I found:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/plasticbottles.asp

Generally it is safe but there are some major exceptions like baby bottles.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

That is the same question, that I was asking, who would want to drink hot water? Certainly not me unless it had a tea bag in it.

I think carrying a small stainless steal water bottle is great. I think our water here is flouridated but am going to check to be sure. It is also great to be prepared and have water available in case of an emergency.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Sorry, thought if I gave the link in my message, it would work. Duh!

William J. said...

Hi DR

It does work but you have to cut and paste it to your browser. I am going to put it in tomorrow's post so you just have to click on the link.

Bill