Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Returning To Abnormal

The one thing that I noticed as I get older is that my recuperative powers aren't what they used to be. I'm almost all the way back, about ninety percent back but still a little tired. Makes me really appreciate the efforts of all the elderly relatives that came to the reunion. Is that one thing you notice about getting older too?

Blog notes. Short entry today. Update Day returns next Sunday. Who Am I returns today. Blog should be back to normal within a couple of days. Or should I say the blog will be back to abnormal in a couple of days?

Today we are talking health issues. First up is an article about using an adults own stem cells to cure his or hers own illnesses and injuries. One story in the following article indicated a doctor was able to repair a broken ankle by using the man's own cells. You can read the full article here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100802/ap_on_he_me/us_med_stem_cells

Now on to asthma and food. According to the following article sixty percent of asthma attacks in children and forty percent of asthma attacks in adults may be brought on by food allergies. The full article is here:

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-center/asthma/asthma-diet?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl3|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolhealth.com%2Fcondition-center%2Fasthma%2Fasthma-diet

I do think we risk a myriad of different side effects when we eat processed food but I just don't know how you avoid it. As to the use of adult stem cells, I am for whatever improves a person's health and lifestyle. What do you think? Your comments are always appreciated.

Who Am I

I was born in 1878 in California as one of twelve children to Bill and Anne. Arguably I am the first true industrial/organizational psychologist and was one of the first working female engineers to hold a PHD. I married Frank and we ended up being Cheaper By The Dozen as we had our planned twelve children. Eleven lived to adulthood. My husband and I were pioneers in the field of industrial engineering. I served as an advisor to Presidents Hoover, Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson on matters of civil defense, war production and rehabilitation of the physically handicapped. I graduated from Hippie U with a both a BA and an MA. I completed my dissertation on The Psychology of Management to obtain my Ph.D from there but did not receive the degree because I was unable to complete the residency requirements. I later earned the Ph.D from an Ivy League University. It was the first degree granted in industrial psychology. After college my work combined the perspectives of an engineer, a psychologist, a wife, and a mother; I helped industrial engineers see the importance of the psychological dimensions of work.
On top of having twelve children, writing books, helping companies with their management skills, managing women consumers, I was instrumental in the design of a desk that was displayed at the Chicago World’s Fair. My most obvious work included the marketing research for Johnson & Johnson and my work to improve women’s spending decisions during the first years of the Great Depression. I was sometimes called "The First Lady of Engineering," and was the first woman elected into the National Academy of Engineering. I died in Arizona at age 94. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Welcome back, Bill. {s}

I haven't noticed recuperative powers declining, but then I don't do much that's taxing enough to require a lot of recuperation. I sure notice getting tired more easily and sooner than I used to.

I think the stem cell research is really exciting, and I hope to see great progress in the things it can help cure.

As to processed food, I don't think I ingest a lot of it, but I suppose if I really tracked my diet, I might be surprised. So far, no asthma or obvious food allergies, though (knocking wood for continued luck).

dona said...

Hi Bill and glad to see you back. I hope you get back into the swing of things with no problems. With the posts for the last couple of days, I think you are already there, you just don't think you are. :)

As for getting more tired the older I get, Yes I think I have noticed some of that, or is it that I just am not as into whatever I was doing as I used to be, that is a question I have been asking myself of late. If I stay busy I feel ok, but if I stop doing things completely I will notice as I do them again the recuperative powers do decline.

I fully believe in the Asthma brought on with certain foods. I have asthma and had no idea I was allergic to any type of foods. Was having attacks constantly, and after a year of trial and error realized it was due to foods. Specifically Walmart's Great Value brand. If you notice there is an allergy warning on most everything they offer. I had not noticed and was eating lots of that brand(mostly because of the lesser cost) But after figuring it out and not using any of that brand, I have had no attacks. So I spend a bit more money but am healthier.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Thanks for the welcome back!

I also notice getting more tired than I used to but then a few hours I would be good to go now sometimes it takes days or years to recover.

I'm with you on stem cell research.

I think it is almost impossibe not to eat processed food.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona!

I'm always pleased when I see your name.

I'm getting there and will soon think I'm there too!

Interesting question about not being into what we used to be into. If we enjoy something does it make us less tired or more tired? I think there is no doubt that being busy is often a cure for pain.

Now I am going to drive out to Walmart in the next few days and look at their label because that is really good information. I live twenty miles from the closest Walmart so I rarely buy any food from them.

I was surprised at some of the foods that could lead to attacks, almost all dairy products.

And you damn well better pay for healthier food! I want you around to keep me in order!

Bill

dona said...

Thanks Bill, I hope to be around for awhile. (got back results & looks like I am good for a while)

Also, Walmart is the only place close to here that we can get groceries. Beats driving an hour for them, so we settled. We have a nice meat market so get our meats there. But yes look at the labels, its odd as the thing I was buying was apricot preserves, and was trying to save a buck getting their brand. When I narrowed it down to that, I thought I was just allergic to the Apricots. But turns out I must be allergic to whatever else they process in the same plant. Most everything I bought of that brand had the same allergy warning about dairy/eggs/nuts or something to that effect, kinda like it said in your article. So to be safe I just don't buy any of that brand. Haven't had a problem since. Makes you think.

William J. said...

Dona

What really great news, it made my evening!

You would think the word preserves would indicate healthy. I am so glad you figured it out. And yes it does make you think.

Bill