Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ice Cold Fraud

Busy day today. I have a business meeting at ten this morning. Then cousin Barbara is visiting for the day. Then a night at Mom's. Life never seems to be as dull as I want it to be.

Following is what I thought was an interesting article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100807/ap_on_sc/us_sci_ice_island

Is this a sign of global warming or just a natural geological happening? I certainly wouldn't want to run into a piece of ice that was a hundred square miles in size. I don't think this story is a fake but the woman in the following article is.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100809/od_nm/us_cancer_fraud_odd

Personally, I think ten years in prison is to good for this woman. Not only did she screw people out of money she harmed legitimate charities and no doubt now in the future people will be hesitant to donate to legitimate charities because of her antics. You would think a twenty-three year old woman would find a better way to raise money.

What is your take on the article and the woman involved? How would you punish her?

Off to my business meeting. Since I am at Mom's tonight, tomorrow's post will be later in the day.

Who Am I?

Yesterday's answer: Bessie Coleman

I was born in 1862 and died in 1931 and went on to become an American journalist, newspaper editor and, with my husband a newspaper owner. I was an early leader in the civil rights movement. I documented the extent of lynching in the United States, and was active in the women's rights movement and the women's suffrage movement. My father was a carpenter and my mother a cook, the were both slaves until freed at the end of the Civil War. When I attend College I was expelled for my rebellious behavior and temper after confronting the President of the college. My parents and older brother died when I was sixteen. To avoid the rest of the kids separating I dropped out of school to take care of them and got a teaching job. When on a train ride I was asked to move to make room for a white man. I refused to give up my seat seventy-one years before Rosa Parks. The conductor and two other men dragged me out of the car. I immediately hired an African American attorney to sue the railroad. When my lawyer was paid off by the railroad I hired a white attorney. I won my case but it was reversed on appeal. I slowly gained a reputation for writing about the race issue in the United States. I later became co-owner and editor of an anti-segregationist newspaper that published articles about racial injustice. After the lynching of my friends I wrote an article in the Free Speech urging blacks to leave the city. Over 6,000 blacks did leave; others organized boycotts of white-owned businesses. The murder of my friends sparked my interest in researching the real reason behind lynching. I became the head of the Anti-Lynching Crusade. I married at thirty-three to an attorney and we had four children. I kept my own name. I found it hard to balance work and family. But I kept on. Many people that heard me speak were repulsed by the information they were given. I eventually became the first black woman to be a paid correspondent for a mainstream white newspaper. I published a pamphlet that documented my research on a lynching. Having examined many accounts of lynching based on alleged "rape of white women," I concluded that Southerners concocted rape as an excuse to hide their real reason for lynching: black economic progress, which threatened not only white Southerners' pocketbooks, but also their ideas about black inferiority. It was written of me: "...A woman born in slavery, she would grow to become one of the great pioneer activists of the Civil Rights movement. A precursor of Rosa Parks, she was a suffragist, newspaper editor and publisher, investigative journalist, co-founder of the NAACP, political candidate, mother, wife, and the single most powerful leader in the anti-lynching campaign in America. A dynamic, controversial, temperamental, uncompromising race woman, she broke bread and crossed swords with some of the movers and shakers of her time. " Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

A little scary about the glacier calving like that. We seem to be losing quite a lot of ice in the north. I think Antarctica is actually gaining a little, but not sure of my info there, and also not sure if the ice there is as important to us as the northern ice.

I agree with you, Bill. "Cancer" woman should be jailed. I don't know about 10 years... don't want to support her for that long, but for long enough to get her attention.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I didn't know Antarctica was growing, I learn something new every day.

Maybe five years for the cancer woman and five years of community service in a cancer ward.

bii

Lady DR said...

I hear you on the "dull." After yesterday's dealing with the credit card fraud, more of it today, dealing with the ortho, the tax collector, then DMV (they took an hour and we did not get desired results), we proceeded to the Sheriff's office to discover we have to talk to white collar crime detectives, who leave between 4:00 and 4:30. Which means we lose another afternoon of work time. So far, there are no billable hours this week and darned if I'm going to give up line dance, as I've no exercise since last Thursday!

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know, but not at all sure this is global warming. The Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau advanced and then retreated during the years Mom was there and mostly before all the global warming stuff came out. Calving can be caused (from what little I learned when living there) by natural fissures which have been there for decades or more and suddenly spread far enough to cause a "fault line" that results in a split from the actual glacier.

As to the article on the woman who faked cancer to gain money... she needs time in a psych ward, particularly as she said she wanted to gain attention. There are other ways! I think making her return as much of the money as possible or donating it to legitimate charities is a start. Whatever money she's already spent, she needs to work out by serving on cancer wards, as anything from an unpaid aide to janitor, to see what cancer's really like, doing other community service work that benefits cancer patients. If she goes to prison, she should be assigned cancer ward duty in a prison hospital, as described above. How one undoes the possible damage to legitimate cancer charities and individual organizations trying to help individuals... I've no idea. Her reasons are untenable, to me, and saying "I'm sorry" just doesn't get it.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Just a note to everyone there probably won't be a post today as I am hosting relatives.

I am actually glad they have white collar detectives on the case. I hope they find the basterds.

I completely agree with you on the punishment for the cancer woman. If she wants attention put her on garbage pickups with a neon sign on her back repeating her name over and over!

Bill