Thursday, August 26, 2010

Caring People

Let's all wish DanaRae a happy birthday!!! I would classify her like I would classify all of you that read or post on the blog as very caring. I might even put myself into the category as one of those caring folks. In honor of DR's birthday today's post is about caring people:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf/2010/08/and_they_say_roosevelt_is_a_fa.html

I found this article to be very touching. What struck me is how many people came out to help one young man when most didn't even know who he was. Kudos to everyone involved. What did you think of the article?

I would also classify the researchers in the following article as caring. I'm very excited about their work and their discovery.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100825/ap_on_he_me/us_med_new_cornea

Are you excited by this study and other studies going on in the medical field right now?

Certainly the doctors in following article would be classified as caring. You can't wonder how many headaches could have been avoided by this man had other doctors looked into his head a little earlier,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100824/od_nm/us_germany_bullet_odd

I hope none of you are having headaches right now. The article did take me back a bit. Thank goodness I don't go to fireworks parties. What do you think about the article?

Your comments are always appreciated. May your day be filled with caring people.

WHO AM I? Yesterday's answer was Martha Griffiths.

I kow you will all be in a state of shock that Bill has never heard of me. Despite his slight I was born in 1903 and was a constant presence in both Alabama politics and the civil rights movement. I had a front-row seat for the New Deal, McCarthyism, and the civil rights movement. I spent years working to abolish the poll tax and to end segregation. My husband, an attorney, was involved with a number of civil rights cases. My dad was a respected Presbyterian minister and Mom was a homemaker. Although my family was not wealthy I was sent to finishing school in New York, where I followed a rigorous academic program and was trained in the social graces. As a sophomore I came to question segregation after my experience in the college's dining hall with rotating tables requiring students to eat meals with random groups of students, including African-Americans. I initially protested this policy but I was told that I could either accept it or leave the college; I chose to accept it. I left college my junior year due to financial reasons. I had rejected many suitors when I met my husband at church. We married and moved to D.C. where my husband accepted a position with the Reconstruction Finance Corporation. It was during our time in Washington where my activism began. I joined the Woman's National Democratic Club and began a long involvement in the campaign to abolish the poll tax, which effectively denied most southern African Americans and poor whites the right to vote. I became one of the founding members of the Southern Conference for Human Welfare. Eleanor Roosevelt was present for its inaugural meeting and caused a minor controversy by refusing to sit in segregated seating. Because of some of the benefactors of organizations that I lead I was plagued by rumors that she I was a Communist. Since I never publicly denounced Communism or joined in the fierce red-baiting of the postwar years I was called to New Orleans to testify before Senator James Eastland's Internal Security Committee, an agency similar to the House Un-American Activities Committee in its objective of investigating alleged Communists. The hearings in New Orleans came on the eve of the Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka ruling. Scholars have suggested that I was targeted because Eastland wanted to strike back at my brother-in-law, Supreme Court justice Hugo Black, who had joined in the unanimous decision in favor of Brown. I gave my name, stated that I was not a Communist, and then refused to answer further questions, standing in silent defiance of the committee as I was questioned, occasionally taking out a compact and powdering my nose. The stress of the hearings caused my husband to collapse. The famous bus lady worked for occasionally worked for us as a seamstress when we moved back to Alabama. I secured a scholarship for Rosa to attend a school for two weeks. My husband and E.D. bailed Rosa out when she refused to move from her seat. Because they were frequently harassed and threatened, eventually the two youngest of our five children were sent to boarding schools outside the South after being ostracized by teachers and classmates. After my husband died I continued to write and speak on behalf of progressive political causes. I was active in state and local politics well into my nineties, protesting nuclear weapons and working to achieve economic equality. I died at 95. You may have to go OUTSIDE THE MAGICAL CIRCLE to answer the question, Who Am I?

9 comments:

Pat said...

Another HAPPY BIRTHDAY wish, DR. Have you had enough yet? {g}

Lots of caring people in that first article. I hope the young man does well, though I don't share his love of hip-hop.

The other two articles, I had seen before. An artificial cornea will be great if it continues to work and even better if they can do more with it than the top layer.

As to the guy with bullet in his head, well, weird. I often wonder where all those bullets fired into the air come down, and with what velocity. Maybe this was one. I'm always a little nervous about unidentified loud bangs on July 4 and New Year's, and remain nervous until I figure enough time has gone by for them to return to earth and not on me.

Lady DR said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes, Bill. Once again, I caught up and we're the same age. And, Pat, thank you. Can anyone have too many happy birthday wishes? Still, I think you've gone above and beyond the call of duty

Bill, I really enjoyed the article on Darcy. Obviously, the young man is determined. Equally obviously, he's never had a background to prepare him for what to expect in the outside world or the college world. How wonderful so many people were willing to step up and do so much to assure his first year at St. Francis is a pleasant experience and a successful one.

The medical research is encouraging. Anything that can improve or restore eyesight is exciting for me, particularly with Mom's experience and circumstances.

You know, I'd never thought about "what goes up, must come down," in terms of bullets fired into the air. I agree with Pat's question, where do they come down and at what velocity. Don't know I've ever been in any situation where this occurs, but it's something to think about.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I am not a big hip hope fan either but I admire that he found what he was good at and what interested him despite all the obstacles against him.

I think if the cornea transplant works that it would lead to a cure for macular degeneration.

I'm with you on the bullets, what goes up must come down.

Bill

dona said...

Happy Birthday DR! Hope your day is/was a great one.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think one of the interesting things of the first article is he got the help and then he didn't know what to do with it until the lady stepped in again. Can you imagine him in New York with no money, no clothes, or no direction?
Now if he compltes his first year that bodes well for the second and following ones.

The eyesight thing not only with the experience with you Mom what about us as we get older?

With the strengh of today's weapons and how far guns can send the bullets it definitely is a good question about what happens to the bullets.

Bill

Pat said...

Unfortunately, Bill, the cornea has nothing to do with the retina, where macular degeneration takes place. They don't seem to be making many strides in that. I have wondered if they've done any stem cell research on regenerating the retina. Not that I've heard of.

Lady DR said...

Dona, thanks for the birthday wishes. Maryanne cooked me a lovely dinner and I've heard from two of the three sibs.

Bill, I echo your thoughts - I could just picture this kid in NYC with no money, no clothes, no clue and I shuddered. Hopefully, they provided some practical advice, as well.

As to the cornea research, I agree with Pat it doesn't help with the retina, but perhaps it will lead to some different or additional directions for retina research and the issue of MD. They've made some major strides in MD over the last five years or so, specifically the injections which can halt and sometimes improve MD, by stopping the seepage of blood in/behind the retina, and I hope for more. I think any of us you are "aging" have concerns about our vision. I just happen to be most familiar with MD and how it's affected Mom's life. I also wonder if they've done any stem cell research or if that's a possible answer.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I was going to say what DR already did, that the research in one area can sometimes lead to research in other areas and that is what makes me hopeful.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I can remember being dropped off at college in a small town with money and clothes and how hard it was for me to adjust. Mom was in the hospital the day I went away for college. I can't imagine even with support landing in New York City alone. That would almost certainly mean failure, I think the people in the first article gave him the tools for success.

You read my mind, while cornea research might not help MD it could lead to different research techniques that could help.

Stem cell research would be important in so many areas, it is just that to many people seem to be against it.

Bill