Monday, August 23, 2010

Doctors & Laptops.

Today's links all come from usatoday.com. USA Today is one of the two papers I read every day. It is one of my favorites.

First up is a very helpful article. I think it will help elderly patients more than younger ones because as we age we do go to the doctor more.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-08-20-doctor-advice_N.htm

What do you think of the above article? Is there anything not mentioned in the article that you think you should ask your doctor? Not specifics of course but just general advise for the readers here.

The heartbreak of psoriasis. Could women avoid it?

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/food/2010-08-21-beer-psoriasis_N.htm

Are you going to drink less beer now? I'm not because I am neither a woman nor do I drink beer.

The following article is really meant for teenagers but I think it also applies to us adults. We might be a little taller then the teens but we still should pay attention to posture too.

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health/medical/2010-08-22-laptop-pain_N.htm

What is your take on the article? Going to pay more attention to where and how you are sitting when using your laptop? Me maybe but probably not.

Your comments are always appreciated

Who Am I?

I was born in 1932 and died this year after leading a life as a political activist who worked in many controversial and crucial campaigns in Arkansas, as well as nationally and internationally. I was dedicated to fair education and equality across racial, religious, and cultural lines. I was the first of four children born to a dairy farmer and a homemaker. My Mom died when I was fifteen and my dad died when I was eighteen. I had my nickname long before President Bush gave it to someone else after Katrina. After both my parents deaths us children were raised by relatives. After graduating from high school I went on to attend Agnes Scott College but felt I didn't fit the image of Southern womanhood the school projected and didn't finish my degree. I married an attorney when I was twenty-one. He later became a political science professor. We relocated to Germany where he was stationed with the U.S. Army for two years. While in Germany we learned about the growing crisis surrounding the high schools in Arkansas and were concerned about the ramifications for race relations and education in Arkansas. My aunt signed my sisters and I up for the Women’s Emergency Committee to Save Our Schools (WEC), founded by Adolphine Fletcher Terry, Sara Murphy, and Vivion Brewer in support of the reopening of public schools in Little Rock. When I returned home I began volunteering with the group. After their dissolution I worked with the Panel of American Women. I moderated the first twenty-five sessions of the panel in an effort to bridge the gap between people of different races and cultures. The panel expanded its mission, becoming the Arkansas Public Policy Panel to organize and assist grassroots groups. I served as volunteer executive director, training sixty citizen lobbyists before retiring. I founded the Arkansas Fairness Council, a coalition of grassroots organizations, and served as president and lobbyist for fifteen years. Among the many organizations I worked on was the Arkansas State Advisory Committee to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, the State Federation of Business and Professional Women (legislative director), and the Women’s Environment and Development Organization (co-founder with Bella Abzug). I also worked with over fifteen political campaigns and served as organizer and consultant in many of them. During one campaign I worked for my husband as he run for the state legislature. I served as the first Political Action Chair of the National Women’s Political Caucus. I received many awards and recognitions, including the American Civil Liberties Union Civil Libertarian of the Year and the Mary Hatwood Futrell Award from the National Education Association. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

Good advice about being prepared for a doc visit. I suppose we all pretty much knew all that, but do I remember to write down questions? Not always.

I've had psoriasis for years, almost entirely on hands and feet, and I never drank much beer. At one time, it was a problem, though not exactly "heartbreak". Over the years it has simmered down to where I hardly notice it.

I tend to slump at the computer, whether laptop or regular. Must pay attention to that!

Lady DR said...

All interesting articles, Bill. I think the article on dealing with your doctor is good knowledge for any age, particularly as we're seeing more younger patients in PT and they had to see a doc to get there. I always carried a notebook for Mom's app't and now I'm doing the same for mine. I don't always write down questions, but usually and I sure want their answers in my little database.

Since I don't drink beer at all, I'm safe from heartbreak.

Again, I think the laptop article applies to everyone, of any age, particularly when you consider the older we get, the less flexible we often become and the tighter muscles may be. My computer is a laptop but... I have an external, large flat top monitor, an ergometric keyboard and a separate trackball mouse. The laptop basically serves as a CPU, but something I can take with me, should I want communication if I travel. Because of the physical issues of the last six months or so, I'm much more cognizant of posture when I'm at the keyboard, although not always "good" about it.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Back home for a few days now so can respond to yesterday's questions and get ready for today's post.

I'm like you in two ways: I know I should make a list of questions to ask the doctor but I'm never going to. I've also had psoriasis for year and and I never drank beer.

I jus rearranged my sitting syle at my laptop.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I also think the information on dealing with the doctor is good for most all ages to know. What a great idea to carry a notebook either for yourself or for the elderly person that you care for.

Like I told Pat, after reading the article I changed a few things, including putting a pillow in my chair to give me more height.

Bill