Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Eggs & Pet Insurance

I'm back from Mom's for a few days. I kept it light the last two days and Mom had a really nice time. When I left her, she seemed to be in less pain and less tired after two days with the kid here. The latest on the caregiver is they think she got salmonella from milk that she drank. In Oregon we have been under two recalls. The first was a local dairy, Umpqua Dairy, who put out a batch of bad milk. They shut down their facility in Rosburg to completely clean it out. While that process is going on they have moved operations to a different location and their product is now safely back on the shelf of grocery stores. The caregiver drank some of the bad milk and a local doctor pegged her dizziness as related to the milk. The other recall we have been under is that national egg recall. Wow has that created havoc. Here is a question and answer article about the egg recall. Hope it helps all of you here to determine what to eat and what not to eat. As for me, I'm not eating eggs for a long time.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100823/ap_on_he_me/us_tainted_eggs_q_a


Next up is a stinging argument for pet insurance for you dog.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100824/od_nm/us_dog_beehive_odd

The questions for the day. Are you concerned about the egg recall? Are you going to avoid eggs for a while? What about pet insurance? If you have or had a pet are you or would you get pet insurance now that you know whatpets sometimes eat?

Hope this is a great day for all of you!!

WHO AM I? Yesterday's answer Mary Brown "Brownie" Williams Ledbetter.

Born in 1921 and dying in 2005 I was a civil rights activist, lawyer, judge, state senator, and President of Manhattan, New York City. I was the nineth of twelve children born to parents who had immigrated from Nevis, in the Caribbean. Mom was the founder of a chapter of the NAACP. I received my undergraduate degree from NYU and my law degree from an Ivy League school. My legal career began as a law clerk in the fledgling NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund where I worked with Thurgood Marshall, Jack Greenberg, and others. I was LDF"S first female attorney and became their lead trial attorney. I wrote the original complaint in the case of Brown v. Board of Education. I was the first African-American woman ever to argue a case before the U.S. Supreme Court. Thank you James. I was successful in nine of the ten cases I argued before the Supreme Court. The tenth decision was eventually overturned in my favor. I had a life of many firsts including first woman of my ethnicity to became a state senator from my state, the president of a local borough and the first of my federal judge of my race. I am in the National Women's Hall of Fame, received the Presidential Citizens Medal and was awarded the Spingarn Medal.
I died of congestive heart failure. I am sure it won't surprise anyone that Bill hasn't heard of me but I hope the rest of you will be able to answer the question, Who Am I?

6 comments:

Mary Z said...

Hi there. We're still eating eggs - and will continue to do so. Just cook them thoroughly.

We haven't had a pet in years - but would we get pet insurance. Not a chance!

Pat said...

I'm not afraid of eggs, though I don't eat them often. My latest batch are from a local place, so won't be in the groups recalled. Besides, I usually eat them scrambled or deviled or in egg salad, that is, well-cooked.

Pet insurance paid out when a dog ate a beehive? Who knew?

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

I agree with you on the Pet Insurance, just seems like something nobody really needs.

However, I am just not comfortable eating eggs yest.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I certainly didn't know that if a dog ate a behive or bit a chainsaw and crashed out a window to chase a cat that insurance would pay for it!

But I am not as comfortable as Mary Z and you, I'm staying away from eggs.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Checked my eggs against the recall list and I'm safe. Figured as much, since I'm on the East Coast. Like Pat and MaryZ, mine are either scrambled or hard boiled for salad or deviled eggs.

No, we've never carried pet insurance. I'm suspecting my sister and brother are wishing they did, as both have dogs that have literally cost hundreds and, in one case, thousands of dollars to treat tumors, cancer and the like. One can afford the expense, the other cannot. I've not checked pet insurance prices, but I rather suspect it may be spendy.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I heard on the news that they were suggesting that all eggs be boiled. Of course it doesn't matter to you since you are East of the salmonella outbreak.

I think when I had Katie I checked out pet insurance and it rad about a grand a year.

Bill