Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dining In The Dark, T-Shirts Bringing Light.

Not much going on today but I loved the following article in Today's Oregonian:

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2010/08/portland_blind_cafes_dinner_in.html

I would have loved to be at that dinner. Being there most likely would have made be a better person and if not a better person certainly a more aware one. If you remember our minister is an amazing woman that is blind. The couple of times that I took her to Mom's I wasn't sure what to do and how to help her so I just let her tell me what to do. Maybe if I was in her shoes for a night I would be able to help her without asking. What do you think of the article? Would you want to attend a dinner like the one mentioned in the article?

Do you have the T-shirt? This man made his own T-shirt to avoid misunderstandings in his new city:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100826/od_nm/us_philly_tshirt_odd

If you were to design a T-shirt to wear what would be the saying that you would put on it?

Mine would be, " Every man dies. Not every man lives."

Hope this is a great day for you. As always your comments are appreciated.

WHO AM I? Yesterday's answer was Matilda Joslyn Gage.

I dropped out of school at age fifteen to pursue a career as a visual artist. I was born in 1918 and raised by my divorced mother, a traveling saleswoman, selling corsets. Avoiding the last names of both my parents, I used my first and middle names for my first solo exhibition. By age twenty I was on the WPA Easel Project in Chicago – and had become a ‘regular’ in a cutting-edge culture of writers, actors, artists, and scientists. At twenty-one I moved to New York to work as a designer of costume jewelry in the garment industry. I painted at night and on weekends. I married an Air Force Flight Surgeon and substituted his last name for my middle name. When Pearl Harbor was attacked I left New York for Los Angeles, intending to work in the aircraft industry. I became certified in Production Illustration at Caltech/Art Center School. Before I took ajob there WGN in Chicago hired me to script several programs a day for music continuity and to schedule interviews with war heroes and movie stars on War Bond shows. The WGN experience honed my literary talent and I wrote influential essays on artist’s rights, art criticism, and feminism. When World War II ended I returned to Los Angeles to stay and became an integral part of the Californian art scene. I eventually turned to designing tapestries in France. In them as in the rest of my art I expressed my avant-garde connection of art and science to issues of the times. In many media, optics, the genetic code, stellar winds, magnetic fields, tsunamis and temblors appeared in my work, often linked to metaphors for the human condition such as the lemmings series, fables, justice and love. On a feminist level my “The Dorothy Series” includes my much praised video which together with the suite, was shown in Tokyo in 2006. My art is represented in many museum collections in the USA and abroad. I received dozens of awards as well as honorary doctorates. I was also a Visiting Professor of Research at the Rutgers Center for Innovative Print and Paper. If you haven't figured out who I am think of the famous male actor named the Duke who shares my last name. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Two more neat articles, Bill. The blind dining experience would be fascinating. I worked briefly with the blind, as part of the handicap seminar, years ago in Mps. In addition to time in a wheelchair in the morning, we went out to Minehaha Falls Park in the afternoon. We didn't eat, as I recall, but the "sighted" were blindfolded and paired with a blind person to act as their guide around the park. Talk about having to develop trust Real Quick. Working with the blind, they taught me how to help and when and also that what you're doing is exactly right - waiting for the minister to ask you for help, unless you see a situation she's totally unaware of. One of the other things they said was if you were dining with a blind person, tell them where food is on their plate. Meat is at four o'clock, vegetables are at eight o'clock, your salad is on the right, at two o'clock and your glass is just to the right of your salad, for example.

Let's see, if I had a tee shirt...
It's Good to be Queen comes to mind immediately. (G)

Pat said...

I think the dinner would be fascinating, though the idea of serving yourself from unseen serving dishes is a bit much. My mom's tablemate is blind, and does pretty well, though she doesn't eat much, so sometimes they help and/or encourage her. My role is usually to answer her question about her ice cream: "Did I get it all"? Usually she has, down to the last drop.

Don't know what I'd put on a t-shirt. It would depend on the day. Sometimes it would be "Go Away", other times it might be "Let's have coffee and talk", once in a while, "You can't be serious!" Nothing exactly deeply philosophical.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I love "It's Good To Be Queen"!

You reminded me of a psychology class I took in college, it was a similiar exercise to one you mentioned. Divided up in twos, one was blindfolded, the other was not. One lead you through an obstacle course. Then you switched roles. It taught both trust and responsibility.

I would never had thought of telling a blind person where the food it on a table, that is good knowledge.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I like all your saying so we are just going to have to get your several T-shirts.

Your Mom's tablemate sounds pretty amazing.

Bill