Thursday, August 5, 2010

Kids

Today we are talking about kids. There really are some good and talented kids out there. How much money did you make by age eight? I'm betting not as much as this young artist:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/08/04/8-year-old-painter-kieron-williamson-has-earned-more-than-285-0/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl3|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com%2Fblog%2F2010%2F08%2F04%2F8-year-old-painter-kieron-williamson-has-earned-more-than-285-0%2F

I made money in a lot of way when I was amongst thos referred to as kids. Mowing lawns. Delivering newspapers. My brother and I would weave together pot holders and then I would go door to door to sell them. We also had a pretty profitable lemonade stand. We lived on a pretty busy road in Idaho farm country. There was a road crew near where we lived doing construction and they would come and buy us out every day. We would make more lemonade and it would be gone in seconds. Those adults were really nice to us kids and gave us a lot of spending money. Thank goodness we weren't selling lemonade in Oregon in Multnomah County:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/08/portland_lemonade_stand_runs_i.html

I find that kind of idiotic. I can see the reasons for it but what I would have done is given the gal a free pass for the day instead of making her pack up. Then if she returned to the event again she would need a license. What would you do? Power hungry government enforcer? Or a good government enforcer making sure everyone follows the rules?

And what jobs did you work as a kid? Make a lot of money?


Who Am I?

Yesterday's answer: Mary Lyon

I have a real name and a stage name and you if you tell me both names you will have my complete respect. I was born in 1886 and died in 1939. I was the second of five children. I had at least two brothers and a sister named Malissa, with whom I was later confused with in some sources. I began performing in show tents at age twelve. I married a singer, dancer and comedian when she I eighteen. From then I performed under a nickname. My husband and I sang and danced together in Black minstrel shows. I was known for my very powerful vocal abilities, energetic disposition, majestic phrasing, and a ‘moaning’ style of singing similar to folk tradition. Though my powerful voice and disposition are not captured on my recordings, the other characteristics are present, and most evident on my early recordings. I recorded with Louis Armstrong in addition to touring and recording with the Georgia Jazz Band. I was discovered by Paramount Records producer J. Mayo Williams. I signed a recording contract with Paramount. I made more than one hundred recordings over five years. I would later own two theaters. I was inducted into the Blues Foundation's Hall of Fame in 1983, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990. I had a song inducted in the Grammy Hall of Fame, and was included by the National Recording Preservation Board in the Library of Congress' National Recording Registry. I was billed with my husband as the Assassinators of the Blues and I was often referred to as The Mother of Blues. Who Am I?

6 comments:

Pat said...

You have to surf a bit to find examples of the young artist's work, but when you do, they are quite lovely. As to the lemonade stand, I'll vote with you, Bill. Give the kid a pass for one day. I do understand why they have that rule for public events, though, and 50 cents a cup sounds a little steep for Kool-aid. {g}

The only such enterprise I remember from childhood is right after WWII, I bought khaki-colored plastic bags from the war surplus store and went around the neighborhood selling them for the same uses we have "Baggies" for now. They sold pretty well, but since they were more or less indestructible and people washed and re-used them, business dried up. I can't remember now what my markup was, but it was a few cents to a nickel each. I think I sold lemonade once or twice, but that wasn't much of a moneymaker on my quiet street.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Fifty cents is a bit steep so it had better be really good kool aid!
If the kid was selling lemonade in her own neighborhood and they made her get a license I would be livid but in the case she traveled to an event twenty miles from home to set up the stand. That is why a warning and then play by the rules.

I had a hard time finding his art work too, I'm with you on wishing these articles would include their work.

I love the idea of selling baggies right before the war, it actually helped everyone. They just need to me made less strong.

Bill

Lady DR said...

I'm really impressed with the child artist article and his work. I just hope they let him have time to be a "kid" and encourage him to do so. Too often prodigies miss childhood.

As to the lemonade stand, it seems a bit over the top. I'm with you on a warning and letting it go, so long as there's no repeat. The price of a license pretty much precludes a lemonade stand at the event. However, the idea a kid has to have a license to sell from the front yard seems way over the top to me. I never had a lemonade stand, but lots of kids did, back in our small town.

I really didn't have many jobs as a kid, until I was old enough to babysit, around age thirteen. Then again, I lived on a farm and opportunities were limited, plus there was more than enough to keep us busy helping with chores.And, no, I don't recall receiving an allowance. We did the chores and in return we had meals, clothes, rooms of our own. On the farm, everyone pitched in where and whenever necessary.

William J. said...

Hi DR

I had two thoughts. One like you is that I hope he can still be a kid. Two his college is paid for. Either from the money he maid or a scholarship for his talent so the kid will begin life with no financial worries.


I thought the price was pretty high too and I think they have to have the license every event.

I also grew up on a farm and we didn't have an allowance either but we did have a job jar, it was a jar where certain tasks were listed on separate pieces of paper and a value assigned to them. If you wanted money you chose a slip from the job jar and did that task and was compensated. Cleaning the chicked coop paid the most.

Bill

dona said...

You know I saw this family on TV a while back, I can't remember what, but we tried at that time to look up his paintings too and remember it was hard to find them. I also hope that the family finds time to let him be a kid, its nice to not have worries in the finances, but also important to let him grow in other ways.

I know rules are rules, but why not give the kid a pass for the day, as long as a warning was given?

As far as me having a lemonade stand, no I don't remember one.

I do remember that my mother as well as a couple of my Aunts always going to Ball Games at the local high schools and serving refreshments at half time. I remember a lady who was in that business and my mom & 2 Aunts would always be by her side. I would tag along with my best friend and we would do odd things and got paid for it. I can remember doing this since about 8 or so. She was also big at the State Fair, owned most of the vendors. She gave my mom her own refreshment stand we sold Lemonade shake ups, caramel corn and caramel apples, which we made ourselves. I along with my sister would spend a several weeks at the Fair every year getting ready before and cleaning up after and getting paid for what we did. I loved it. I actually learned to drive at the fair. I would drive my moms car from one end of the Fair to the other to pick up items from vendors. So this was a pretty large Lemonade stand...but guess I did sell out of it, from around age 8 to 16. :)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I love this kind of post because I get learn a little more about each one of you. Like the ball games at half time and the fair! Did you get free carmal apples and corn? And learning to drive at the fair what a dynamite memory.

I was disappointed that the young boys paintings weren't in the video in the article. And growing in other ways is essiantial, I'd hate to see him not having an social skills.

As to the lemonade girl there was a followup in the paper today. Head of the county got involved and said while the inspectors were just doing their job they needed to use discretion in enforcing the rules. He apologized to the gal. I will post the second article Sunday.

Bill