Friday, August 20, 2010

Directions And Typos

I often think men get a bad rap for not asking for directions. I mean we know the world is round and we will eventually get where we are going. You do have to wonder if a man was involved in the following train trip. Read the article about the trip here:

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/08/19/overnight-train-takes-passengers-to-wrong-city/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl5|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.travel.aol.com%2F2010%2F08%2F19%2Fovernight-train-takes-passengers-to-wrong-city%2F

Do you think the train operator was a man? I also wonder if the guys in the following article weren't on the train and reading all the billboards along the way to find grammatical errors:

http://www.asylum.com/2010/08/10/great-typo-hunt-jeff-deck-benjamin-herson-correct-grammar/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl4|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.asylum.com%2F2010%2F08%2F10%2Fgreat-typo-hunt-jeff-deck-benjamin-herson-correct-grammar%2F

OK, these guys weren't on the train in the first article because the train was in Europe and the guys were in the United States. But considering the navigational skills of the train operator they could have ended up in the United States. Maybe a little wet when they got here, but it could happen. Speaking of all wet, are the guys driving across our county correcting grammatical errors all wet or did they create a worthwhile project? As I am one that is often annoyed at the wrong use of the apostrophe I'm on the side of The Great Typo Hunt being a very worthwhile project. Are you with me or against me?

Your comments are always appreciated.

WHO AM I? Yesterday's answer was Mary Aloysius Molloy

I was born in 1948 and died much to young at age fifty-seven of adenoid cystic carcinoma, a form of cancer. I was a workplace activist who fought for equal pay, economic self-sufficiency and access to nontraditional jobs for women. I am the former director of the National Workforce Network and a former president of Wider Opportunities for Women, a national organization that works to promote nontraditional employment opportunities and economic independence for women and girls. I developed legislative proposals and testified before congressional committees regarding job training, welfare-to-work and vocational education. I also helped to create women's literacy programs and guided Wider Opportunities for Women in its outreach for women to enter into the construction trade and other jobs not usually filled by women. My efforts contributed to at least four federal laws. I was one of the first to cry outrage at the lack of affordable child care for working mothers. I fought for more television roles for women. With women's groups I helped develop the Self-Sufficiency Standard, which is being used by some states to decide living wages for families based on the number and age of children and geographical location. After starting a my own business that worked on strategies for helping low-income people move out of poverty I took a position with one of my clients and became its national director for one of their projects. Before all of the aforementioned stuff in my background I attended Northwestern for two years and then joined the Peace Corps for two years and served in Ecuador. There I found direction for my life work. Quoting my partner: "She just had such a deep desire for economic justice, and she began to see that in Ecuador," Patrick said. "And when she returned, she . . . began to see some of that in the workforce." When I returned from the Ecuador I graduated from George Mason University. I served on advisory commissions for three U.S. secretaries of labor and the Private Industry Council in Washington. I was the founder of several organizations including the Older Women's League, the National Coalition on Women and The National Women's Vote Project. Among the honors I received for my work are the Ms. Foundation for Women's Gloria Award for Women of Vision and National Award for Women's Economic Justice. While the owner of The Dahn report is asking himself why he hasn't heard of me, maybe you can answer the question, Who Am I?

10 comments:

dona said...

I do think men get a bad rap for not asking for directions. I also think the Great Typo Hunt is a worthwhile project and probably a fun one too. I can't say I am the best at it, and may make mistakes also, but it does get my goat when you see signs such as these. There is one such sign we pass by often to advertise the selling of 700 acres. Spelled like this...

700 acers 4 sell.

I want to jump out of my car every time and correct it. Drives me nuts.

Pat said...

Funny, Dona! There's an adult daycare center here in town that has a very tall and professional sign that says "Daily Dream's". My question is always, "Daily Dream's what?" The sign would be very expensive to correct, but I note their van has gotten rid of the misplaced apostrophe. I love that the guys are roaming the country trying to correct these mistakes. They should see some of the menus around here if they want to take a break.

And funny about the train engineer not asking for directions. I hope men learn to use the GPS in their cars, if they have it.

Lady DR said...

Sounds to me like there was a switch man asleep at the wheel, reading the article. Still, the train operator should have realized the scenery wasn't quite right or something. Maybe they need to equip the trains with GPS. That way, no one has to ask for directions (BG)

As to the Typo Guys, I love them. Been following articles about them, off and on, for a year or more. As an editor by profession, the signage stuff sometimes drives me a little crazy. As a writer, I know how easy it is for some of those things to slip by, especially if you're in a hurry. Yes, I think it's worthwhile, particularly if they can continue to get media coverage. The state of grammar, punctuation and spelling in this country is, in many ways, appalling, even with the availability of spell checkers (which really don't care whether you use "its" or "it's" or "your" or you're," because they don't check context.

Gee, I wonder if they'd like to take on newspapers next? Apparently most newspapers have fired all their copy editors, based on what I see in both print and online news releases and such. (I'm talking large papers, not local papers or blogs that purport to be offering news).

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I actually think you are excellent at English.

If I ever visit Indiana we will go out in the middle of night and correct that damn sign. It would drive me nuts too!

Bill

William J. said...

That Daily Dream's would drive me absolutely nuts. I'd be tempted to write them or stop by and tell them. These folks are teaching our children!

Restaurants next! The grocery stores! We could keep the guys going the rest of their lives!

If the train operator had a GPS he might not pay attention do, probably be texting someone.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Off the subjects of today and regarding today's "who am I?" ...

Like you, I'd never heard of this woman. However, at the risk of being sexist, very very few of the women you've featured have ever been featured in history books, magazines (such as Time, Life, Nat'l Geographics, US News and World Reports or the like.) I continue to be amazed and impressed with what so many women have accomplished behind the scenes, working tirelessly and patiently, setting goals and fighting political battles and social philosophies and mores. Had more women been aware of what their "sisters" were working on, one wonders where the world might be today.

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this section of your blog, Bill!

William J. said...

Hi DR

I would kind of hope that the train operator might question whether or not the Swiss Alps were in Italy. They might be so far beyond help that a GPA wouldn't help them.

I hadn't heard of these guys before but I am extremely please they getting more and more press. I completely agree with you about the state of grammar not only with the written word but with the spoken word as well.

Restaurants, Newspapers, and Grocery stores, we should keep adding to their list!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Thanks for the nice compliment. The time and effort is worth it for me because of how much I learn from the process.

The reason I mention not knowing this lady in the question is because she was born in our lifetime and her accomplishments were in our lifetime. She wasn't from centuries ago, she was from now. Not only are schools not teaching about some of the great women in history neither is the current media telling their stores even with more women in the media.

And sexist is only sexist when you are telling a falsehood to make the other gender look bad. Here you are telling the truth and providing information not putting any gender down. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I agree with you.

And the following statement of yours we should stamp on the foreheads of every educator and all media personnel:

" Had more women been aware of what their "sisters" were working on, one wonders where the world might be today."

Bill

dona said...

Thanks Bill, for the nice compliment.

As for the Typo Guys, I had never heard of them. I think it is just great that they can do this and I hope they keep going. I also hope they find this blog so we all can give them a few tips on where all the typos are...I think between us we could keep them busy for a while!!

I also agree with DR on her statement about the state of grammar, punctuation and spelling in this country. I look at some pages on Facebook and even when a partial word is not really called for I am amazed at how some of the kids cannot spell.

Bill, I also think you spend a lot of time with the interesting subjects you put on here. Thanks for not only keeping me educated but entertained as well! I may not always answer them to you, but I always read and try to guess or research the ones I don't know and then I have something to teach the Shankster!! THANKS BILL!

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Your message was very touching and almost made me cry.

The typo guys do make money from a couple of sourse, sponsors and writing so if we can keep them going all signs every where may be perfect!

And if I can help teach the Shankster something that is great because he has also taught me a lot. As have you.

So the thanks is for you and him, not me. Thank you.

Bill