Saturday, August 7, 2010

Worsts

Today we transition from inappropriate to talking about some of the worst things I found while surfing the Internet.

First up is the worst advise a woman can give. Or is it as case of what works for some may not work for all?

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/07/14/sugarbabe-infidelity-why-women-should-let-men-cheat/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl3|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemondrop.com%2F2010%2F07%2F14%2Fsugarbabe-infidelity-why-women-should-let-men-cheat%2F

Negotiated infidelity? Are you kidding me? A quote from the article: "Women who cross their legs deserve to be cheated on." To me the crux of the article was you can buy love. This is one person that thinks you can buy companionship but you can't buy love. What is your take on the sugar baby's take on relationships.

Next up is bad food. The ten worst fast food meals:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38543000/ns/today-today_health/

The only one on the list that I eat is the McDonald's big breakfast and that is rarely. When I do eat it, I don't use their syrup, I use my own low calorie stuff, and I don't use their butter, I use my own healthy stuff. Anything on the list that you eat?

Lastly, are the ten worst places to live:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/08/05/10-worst-places-to-live/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl5|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com%2Fblog%2F2010%2F08%2F05%2F10-worst-places-to-live%2F

I was surprised Los Angeles is on the list because there is a lot to like about what they have to offer. Phoenix and Memphis are two other cities that I am surprised made the list. Number one on the list was El Centro, California and I though Detroit had a lock on that spot. Any cities on the list that you think should be there?

Your comments are always appreciated.

Who Am I?

Yesterday's answer: Frances Williard

I was born in 1918 and died in 2006. I was born in California to parents who had emigrated from Japan and owned a strawberry farm. I had five siblings. I obtained my famous nickname when my classmates were unable to pronounce my name. When I was twenty-four my mother, three brothers and I were herded like animals and corralled in what was then Tanforan Racetrack in the Bay Area. I shared one horse stall with my family, where we slept on cold, hard sacks they had filled with hay. We had no bathrooms, only makeshift, door less stalls. Dinner consisted of cold cuts and moldy bread. I often would lie awake, thinking to myself: "I can't believe I'm in America." I married in 1945 and became a spokesperson for the National Coalition for Redress and Reparations, and fought for the Civil Liberties Act of 1988, by which the American government formally apologized and granted reparations to the wartime internees. For my actions in 1998 I was awarded the Free Spirit Award. One of the reasons for the award was that I became heavily invested in the campaign for Redress and Reparations. Thanks to lessons that my father taught me I saw the importance of being involved in this issue. In addition to speaking at Commission hearings, letter folding, addressing, sealing, and stamping, lobbying Congress at the capitol at least three times, and putting on rallies and workshops to outreach to others in the community I continued to work on this issue even after Redress was issued. As a Japanese-American woman involved with this campaign I fit well within the gender dynamic of the kinds of work that women took part in. My roles did not consist of heading up the Commission that put on hearings, or becoming involved in politics, or taking on a leadership position within any organization. My work might be characterized by some as all the "behind the scenes," unseen work that actually made Redress and Reparations possible. Although I spoke on my experiences both at the hearings and with press sometimes about the campaign, and put in countless hours to make Redress and Reparations a possibility my work is not widely known, nor is my story widely told. I am at times referred to a the Godmother of the fight for repayment. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Lady DR said...

Good grief, where to start? First article - sorry, but it's utter nonsense to me. The only useful thing she suggested was that husbands and wives communicate. IF couples communicated openly and honestly about not only their relationship and sex, but about money, goals, priorities, what they enjoy doing, even hopes and dreams, the divorce rate would be considerably lower, IMHO. I honestly believe cheating occurs, not because wives "cross their legs," but because spouses grow apart through changes in interests or goals, and don't talk about it, or because of financial issues, which aren't discussed and resolved, among other things.

I'm delighted to say I don't eat any of the stuff on the bad fast food list. Which isn't to say I don't eat fast food or that what I eat is necessarily healthy. If I have to have a quick lunch on the go, it's likely to a dollar menu McDouble and dollar fries or a junior Whopper with cheese.

As to the cities, none of them really surprised me, given the criteria used. I knew Phoenix was in big trouble with unemployment and particularly housing costs and foreclosures, given my sister is living that nightmare and has lost neighbors on both sides of her. I suspected the air quality, as Mom's sinus issues haven't improved significantly since she moved there last year and she often mentions the visible "dust" in the air. The surprise on Memphis was the crime rate. I had no idea it was such a problem. The other cities, I was pretty much aware they weren't considered great, using the criteria set forth. Cleveland, I hadn't considered one way or another. Then again, now that we've become "southerners," there are few places beyond the lower half of the US I'd consider relocating to, primarily due to weather. Okay, let's be honest... regardless of location, cities don't appeal to me, regardless of location. Too big, too congested, among other things. Give me a small city or small town, thank you very much. I admit, this doesn't make me an objective judge. (wry g)

Pat said...

I'll go with DR on the "Sugarbabe". I think she's pretty much full of crap, though I'm not sure why, as I am never surprised to hear of a cheating man. Is it better for the wife to be a partner in the cheating? I doubt it.

I haven't had any of the bad fast foods they list, though I am more than happy to down the occasional cheeseburger and fries, usually but not always at a place a cut above the really fast fast-food places.

The only bad things they mentioned about LA were smog and traffic, both of which are quite true. But to categorize LA otherwise should be pretty much impossible, as it's so spread out and has so many completely different neighborhoods, some lovely, some not so much.

Of the others, there was some slightly surprising info, such as the high crime rate in Memphis. And I was a little surprised about Las Vegas. Otherwise, I don't know much about any of the cities they cite, so no opinion except Phoenix is too darned hot in summer.

William J. said...

Hi

The first article was nonsense and if an idiotic book like that can be published then our books should be a slam dunk. Communication and trust makes a solid marriage an infidelity, negotiated or not breaks down that trust. I also think cheating happens because people grow apart.

There is some healthy fast food, like Wendy's baked potatoes. Mom and will have a McDouble and an Ice Cream cone for lunch off of the dollar menu!

The air quality really surprised me about Phoenix because you always hear about how healthy a dry climate is for arthritis as an example. The crime rate also surprised me. Maybe not an objective judge but a good one!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

That makes three of us that think Sugarbabe is full of it. It isn't shocking that people cheat, it is shocking that a psychologist would encourage it.

From the list simple cheeseburger and fries didn't make it, it is the loaded ones that did. So you are fine!

That is the one thing about LA that East Coasters don't really understand, how spread out it is.

Las Vegas didn't surprise me because my brother lives there six months of the year and really took a bath on a house. All of Arizona is hot in the summer!

Bill