Thursday, August 12, 2010

Don't Pay The Ransom

I've escaped. I'm like a bad penny, I keep coming back. Yesterday was a busy day. Up early to do Mom's grocery shopping at six in the morning. She forgot to tell me she was out of everything. Didn't want to bother me. I had to shop that early because my cousin was going to stop by at eight in the morning to go over family history and I didn't know how long that would be. Mom didn't even have enough stuff in the house for her normal breakfast. I keep telling her it isn't about bothering me, it is letting me know what you need so you don't go without. Not to mention it is easier for me if I can shop when I have the time to do it, instead of putting one more chore in into an already packed day.

Barbara got to our house at about eight-thirty. She got on the road to Montana about four in the afternoon. I learned later from TV news that she must have gotten caught into the traffic from hell because the freeway she was going to be on, I-84 East, was closed due to a fire. Traffic was being routed to surface roads. After Barbars left I had to go to the office of the firm that bought my business and pickup my royalty check. Then it was to the bank. After the bank there was my own grocery shopping. I got home just in time for Top Chef. No time for the blog.

We had a nice day going over pictures with Barbara. My sister brought us Subway sandwiches for lunch. After we determined what pictures Barbara wanted my Brother-in-law scanned and copied everything she needed. I got a stick drive to put everything one.

I did find a couple of interesting things. In one of the scrapbooks there was a picture of a third grade class in 1938. The teacher in the picture was Mom. Also the only grandfather I really new was my Mom's mom's second husband. Grandpa Goldy. Turns out his family founded Yale. Now if only he was a blood relative we would be in line for perks!

Today I wanted share a couple of incredible things. Incredible talent. Incredible medical information.

Tuesday night an opera singer wowed everyone on America's Got Talent. Normally opera singers don't win AGT but this one just might. A ten year old opera singer is pretty unique. There was a little bit of a dispute about whether or not the girl was faking the singing but on the results show last night judge Howie had her sing a few notes on the fly. The girl is real. Here is a video of her performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnR0fzhDD3I

Now the incredible medical information:

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/08/11/quick-brain-scan-may-diagnose-autism/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl6|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolhealth.com%2F2010%2F08%2F11%2Fquick-brain-scan-may-diagnose-autism%2F

A quote from the article:

"Although this method is not ready for normal diagnostic situations, any step to easier diagnosis is welcome," Terry Brugha, professor of psychiatry at the University of Leicester who was not directly involved with the study, tells Reuters.

I agree with him, any step forward is a step closer to a cure.

Questions for the day. Do you think there is anything in your family history that would surprise you? Does your own genealogy interest you? The young opera singer, real talent or is she faking it? Autism, does the research study indicate we are closer to a cure?

Who Am I?

Day before yesterday's answer: Ida B. Wells-Barnett a story that needs to be more well-known according to both Pat and I.

I was born in 1912 and died this year after leading a life where I was an American administrator, educator, and social activist. I was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal. I was admitted to college at age seventeen but upon arrival I was denied entrance because the school had an unwritten policy of admitting only two black students per year. I pursued studies instead at New York University, graduating three years later and was awarded a master's degree in educational psychology one year after college graduation. I started working as a caseworker with a city welfare department and at the age of twenty-five, I began a career as a civil rights activist. I fought for equal rights for both African Americans and women. I later joined the national staff of the YWCA. I also served as National President of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority where I developed leadership training programs and interracial and ecumenical education programs. During the height of the civil rights movement of the 1960s I organized "Wednesdays in Mississippi", which brought together black and white women from the North and South to create a dialogue of understanding. American leaders regularly took my counsel, including First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, and I encouraged President Dwight D. Eisenhower to desegregate schools and President Lyndon B. Johnson to appoint African American women to positions in government. I served on a number of committees, including as a consultant on African affairs to the Secretary of State, the President's Committee on the Employment of the Handicapped, and the President's Committee on the Status of Women. A musical stage play is based my memoir. When I died this year my funeral service was attended by President and Mrs. Obama plus many dignitaries. Among my many awards is the Presidential Citizens Medal.I am in the National Women's Hall of Fame and I am listed as 100 Greatest African Americans. "Open Wide The Freedom Gates" and tell me Who Am I?

8 comments:

Lady DR said...

Geez, I was ready for a nap after reading about the 6:00 am grocery shopping excursion! Yes, one of my frustrations with Mom was, rather than bother me, she'd wait until it panic point, which always seemed to happen on a day already chockful.

Sounds like you had a fun time going through photos and scrapbooks and nice that b-i-l was able to scan in everything she needed. Some interesting info indeed! Pity you can't claim the blood line to Yale.

A ten year who can do opera like that is pretty phenomena. I keep seeing more and more articles about youngsters with incredible talent. I don't know just what the research study shows, but if we could find the source and even a better way to manage it, we'd make a huge step forward.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised about stuff in family history that might surprise me. When I look at the contemporary family, I figure we had to get our quirks and capabilities from some ancestoral genes . I'm interested in our genealogy in a broad sort of way but, at this point, not enough to seriously pursue it. Fortunately, I have a cousin who is.

Pat said...

Sounds like you had a nice day there, Bill, even though mom failed to give you enough notice to shop. At six in the morning, I'd have told my mom to try to find a cracker and I'd get back to her in a few hours. Can't coddle them too much, you know. {eg}

The only way that little girl could be faking is if she was lip-syncing, and I doubt they'd allow that. I saw a home video, also on Youtube, of her at 9, when her voice was already quite remarkable. In the year since, it seems to have matured to an uncanny extent, and her pitch is right on. She's totally amazing.

I think that if they can diagnose autism with a brain scan, it'll be a real improvement, as I suspect many kids are diagnosed with it in error these days.

I'd love to know more about my one (or maybe two) Cherokee ancestors, and I'd love to know just about anything about my paternal grandfather, but I haven't gotten into genealogical research and probably never will. One cousin on my mom's side is looking into some things, so perhaps he can help me someday with the Cherokee thing.

dona said...

I am always ready for a nap after reading all the things Bill does in a day!!! :)

I also have this problem with my dad, waits until the last possible moment, (which is usually a bad time for me) for things that you have to go out to get or waits until a Friday for me to refill his pills that are Mail order, when he only has 1 or 2 left! What can you do? The Shankster agrees with Pat on not coddling them too much...:)

When dad was doing some poking around on his history, there were some things that did surprise me, so I really don't want to go down that path any further....:(
It interests me a bit, but not enough for me to dig my heels into. On my mother's side however there are Cherokee ancestors too and I would be interested in that to a degree. I always found that to be interesting....it was more interesting that what I found in my dads history..:)

William J. said...

Hi DR

The thing is with elderly parents, or least my elderly parent, they think they are doing the right thing by not wanting to bother you so they pretty much close their mind when you try to tell them differently, they get defensive and hurt. Since they have it in their mind that the right thing is not to bother you, it continues to happen and will never change. The only way it would change is if you would quit doing the last minute errands and none of us would do that.

I read a bio on here and she can do both opera and pop. She is extremely polished for a ten year old. The girl has two voice teachers because they don't want to ruin her voice before its time.

We have the same cousin!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I can't just give mom a cracker because she is dibetic and on insulin. It would end up with her in the emergency room which would take more darn time.

You are right they don't allow lip-syncing. I am going to watch AGT just to hear this girl sing.

You know you may be do a payment because of your Cherokee ancestors.

It looks like we all have cousins looking into family history!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona!

It seems a lot of us have the problem with the parents waiting until the last minute to tell us things. I actually agree with both Pat and The Shankster but when it comes to food, I really have to monitor mom's sugar levels.

LOL about not wanting to go down that path. See my note to Pat about being do money becuase your Cherokee ancestors and may even be college financial help for the young ones.

Bill

Pat said...

Thanks for the thought, but I don't have enough Cherokee to register. Not to mention I can't prove it. I did check once on how much "Cherokee blood" was needed to register. I've forgotten how much, but a lot more than I have.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think it is 1/8 blood and the only reason I think that is when I lived in Klamath Falls and the Klamath tribe sold their reservation to the government they had to have 1/8 blood to share in the money.

Bill