Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Judging Siblings & Wearing Clean Underwear

I have never been a fan of TV's Judge Judy. I think she is extremely rude and discriminates against Hispanics. It is popular TV, however, as her show often outranks Oprah. What happens if in the real world a Judge Judy acts like the TV Judge Judy? She gets suspended.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599201149400;_ylt=AoHsKyIlDu7f5aSGV2Z4Y_is0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNrdm5naTk4BGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAxMDA4MTgvMDg1OTkyMDExNDk0MDAEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM4BHBvcwM1BHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDc2VhdHRsZXNqdWRn

What do you think? Should have Seattle's Judge Judy lost her job forever? Is five days suspension enough? Or should she have received no punishment?

Now the next article in my mind is completely off base and wrong on several levels. I know darn well I'm as smart as my older siblings. Maybe not smarter but just as smart. I also dispute that younger siblings are more outgoing. My sister and brother are both more outgoing than I am, I just do a better job of acting like I am more outgoing. Read the complete article here:

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/08/16/first-borns-smartest-birth-order-intelligence/?icid=main|htmlws-sb-n|dl3|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemondrop.com%2F2010%2F08%2F16%2Ffirst-borns-smartest-birth-order-intelligence%2F

What do you think? Are you smarter than your older or younger siblings? Are you more outgoing than your older or younger siblings?

I've stated before that one of my favorite columnist is Craig Wilson who writes "The Final Word" for USA Today. Today answers the question, should you wear underwear when traveling? Read his column here:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/finalword/2010-08-18-final18_ST_N.htm

If you are wondering traveling or not I always follow my Mom's advise and wear clean underwear (maybe backwards, but always clean). Boxers too. And you?

WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Jill Kerr Conway. (By the way I love that DR doesn't stop when she figures out the answer. She keeps reading the bios on other web sites. I love that kind of curiosity.)

I was born in 1940 in California to first Chinese immigrants. Dad was a laundry worker and gambling house owner. Mom was a practitioner of medicine. I was the third of eight children and the eldest of the six of them born in the United States. Dad left China in 1924 and brought Mom over fifteen years later. I started writing early and won five bucks for an essay I wrote when I was a mere six. I proclaimed, I Am an American! I majored in engineering at Hippie U before switching to English. At age twenty-two I married an actor and shortly after began teaching high school. We had our first child a year after marrying. We moved to Hawaii where I completed my first novel about women and ghosts. My works often reflect my cultural upbringing, combining fiction with non-fiction. One of my books won the National Book Critics Circle Award for nonfiction and another about China Men won the National Book Award. My most recent books concerned poets and peace. I fought for peace and was arrested in Washington D.C. for crossing a police line during a protest against the Iraq war. My anti-war stance has significantly trickled into my work and some of my writings were initiated and inspired by growing up during World War II. Though my work is highly acclaimed, it has also received criticism, especially from some members of the Chinese American community. A playwright and novelist has severely criticized one of my books claiming that I had tainted the purity of Chinese tradition in reinterpreting stories and myths. Some of my writings contributed to the feminist movement as they dicussed gender and ethnicity and how those concepts effect women. I am currently Professor Emeritus at the University of California, Berkeley, where I graduated with a BA in English several years ago. I have received several awards for my contributions to Chinese American Literature. I was awarded the National Humanities Medal by President of the United States Bill Clinton. If you haven't figured out who I am you might look "Through The Black Curtain" to be able to answer the question, Who Am I?

8 comments:

Pat said...

The judge? I dunno. I do find the TV Judge Judy far too insulting a lot of the time. So yeah, this Judy should be punished, but not lose her job forever unless she refuses to tone it down.

Having no siblings and only one child, I have no idea who might be the smartest in birth order. But the first, especially if there's a significant time-lag before the second, probably does get more attention and early education than the later sibs.

I always start the day with clean underwear, traveling or not. I don't remember mom giving me any such advice, but I sure heard it a lot from this source or that one.

Lady DR said...

I think the judge should have lost her seat on the bench permanently. Had this been an isolated, first time incident, I could see the suspension. However, she's been called on the carpet twice before and doesn't appear to have learned anything from her therapy or those reprimands. There's no excuse for using authority to belittle and demean a defendant who's already nervous, upset and often frightened. If a lawyer did that, after repeated warnings, he/she would be held in contempt, at the very least.

I think a great deal of research on siblings is skewed and some is just nonsense. Am I smarter than my younger sibs? I don't think so. I may have more knowledge in some areas, just because I broke ground or pursued different interests, but they have more knowledge than I do in areas that interest them. I don't see a great deal of difference in outgoing. Actually, my youngest sister is the most withdrawn of all of us. I went through twenty or thirty years of being very outgoing, after being very shy and withdrawn through the years until after high school. I think I'm less outgoing now than I was ten or fifteen years ago.

Yes, I always wear underwear and it's always clean AND not torn or ragged, because one never knows when one might be in a car accident and taken to the ER, where *everyone* will see your underwear! Mom raised me right (g).

Mary said...

I have been waiting for you to find this article and comment on it! Heh.

I don't think I'm smarter than my younger siblings. I definitely am more neurotic, and in a lot of ways I think I'm wiser. Not sure if that's because I'm female and they're male, or if it's from being older, or what.

If you look at standardized tests, I scored second on them, but the brother who scored first is the most clueless, socially, as a parent, every other way. I'm happy with who I am. And I still maintain that the youngest child is the spoiled brat, even if maybe they are the most loved.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I kind of think with DR on this one, the doesn't seem to know what she did wrong so a ban forever is kind of where I lean.

I don't know about the sibling thing and the attention thing, I can't help but wonder if the baby being planned or a surprise might have something to do with how much attention gets. Or how hard they tried before having a baby.

My Mom gave me enough clean underwear advise for both of us!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I'm with you on the judge because of warnings and repitive behavior.
Interesting point about the lawyer and of course it is right on.

I think the research on siblings can't be effective because it can't allow for all situations, like the one Pat mentioned, how far apart in age they are would make a difference. I have actually gotten more outgoing as I have gotten older.

We had the same mom regarding underwear teachings!

bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I just found it this morning!

I think we all are smarter than siblings in some areas and they are smarter than us in some areas. I also don't rank in siblings from oldest to youngest have anything to do with our personalities. Other than me being better because they liked my brother best and the youngest have it so much harder.

I also think you are smarter than your siblings from the things that you have said. To me you have experienced more and learned more than they have!

Bill

dona said...

Wow, been busy and didn't get to a few posts until late, but had to respond anyhow.

I have to say I sort of agree with all of you on the Judge. While I don't think she should lose her job permanently, I also wonder since she has been called out for this behavior before, then maybe the suspension was just. It makes you wonder if some of these Judges just want to be like their counter parts on TV. I don't like the rude and insulting way the TV Judges are at all, and the screaming is just ridiculous.

I am the smartest of my siblings. (cannot believe I am the only one who thinks this) ;)

Clean Underwear? Oh My Goodness. If I had a penny for every time my mother told me to make sure I always had on clean underwear cause you never know if you are going to be in an accident....I would be in such great financial shape.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Glad things are slowing down enough to allow you to post!

Seems there is some consensus re the judge, suspension is warrented firing maybe a little to soon.

I have no doubt you are the smartest of three siblings!! And I believe they should be smart enough to agree with you.

We had the same Mom!

Bill