Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Clothes & Chains

Late again today. I need a day without excitement right now. Caregiver for Mom had an attack at Mom's house. Instead of calling 911 Mom called my sister who went to Mom's house and called 911. I've tried to convince Mom that whenever she or anyone has a problem in her house call 911 first and then call sister or me. You can see how successful I've been at getting her to do that. When Mom told me the signs of what the caregiver was experiencing I immediately thought stroke and if it had been a stroke that few minutes between calling sister and then calling 911 could have been critical. This is one time I am proud to announce that I was wrong. The emergency room doctor diagnosed the caregiver's problem as an ear infection and a reaction to a bee sting. Good wishes sent the caregiver's direction are definitely appreciated.

How do you feel about dress codes? Do they make you more professional? Does it show the stage you are on or in respect? Or is it elitist crap? Courts in many areas are now requiring you leave certain dress styles home. Read the article here:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-08-16-court-dress-code_N.htm

I'm actually for getting rid of flip flops on dates, in churches, in court, and I'm certainly not against leaving shorts at home. I'm also in favor of pulling your damn pants up. What do you think?

Could you live in a town without chain restaurants? No McDonalds. No In and Out. No KFC, IHOP, or Denny's. Here is an article about a town that wants no chains.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-08-17-chain-restaurants_N.htm

Whose side are you on? The towns or the eight people suing them?


WHO AM I?

Yesterday's answer was Gerda Lerner

I was born in Australia in 1934 and became an educator and author. I grew up in isolation on our family's eighteen thousand acres and grew up with no playmates. I was schooled entirely by Mom and a country governess. I spent my youth working the sheep station and by age seven was an important member of the workforce. The farm was successful until a seven year drought. The drought and dad's health put a burden on me. Dad died when I was eleven and Mom moved us to Sydney where we could live a normal life. Being bullied and made fun of at public school I was sent to a private school where I excelled. I graduated with honors from college after which I was denied jobs because I was too good looking and too intellectually aggressive. After traveling Europe with my not so easy to get along with Mom I struck out on my own and went to the United States. I received my PHD from Harvard. While at Harvard I married a Canadian Professor and the marriage ended years later when he died. I was the first woman president of Smith College and was president there for ten years. One of my most notable accomplishments was instigating a program to help students on welfare. I also started a program that allows older women, often with extensive work and family obligations, to study part-time. Currently I am Visiting Professor at MIT. I have received thirty-eight honorary degrees and awards from 'North American and Australian colleges, universities and women's organizations. I started writing my memoirs when my presidential term ended. If you haven't figured out who I am then read about "Earth, Air, Fire, Water: Humanistic Studies of the Environment." Who Am I?

8 comments:

Pat said...

Interesting article about the dress code in court. When I've done jury service, I try to go "business casual", which is about what I can manage these days without the major effort it would take to really "dress up". But others don't seem to even try that hard. I'd wear jeans, just not the faded ones. A dark wash jean with a decent shirt or blouse would not be taken amiss here, I'm sure. Can't remember if I ever wore my flip-flops with toe socks, but I might have. I love my flip-flops, all year 'round.

Attorneys and litigants do seem to dress up as far as I've seen, but I think they probably let jurors get away with a lot more, as not everyone is willing to even show up for jury service.

Since I'm surrounded by chain restaurants that I hardly ever patronize, I'm not sure I have an opinion on that. I would miss Zono Sushi and Starbucks if they weren't allowed in my town. And pizza might be a problem--it depends on what the local restaurants provide, and at what price.

Mary Z said...

I think it's fine if a town wants to exclude chain restaurants. We never eat in one when something local is available. We've been to Springdale several times, and had some fantastic meals there.

Mary said...

People are so casual now, I can see why the courts feel the need to set standards. I was interviewing candidates for managerial jobs with my company last week. Several of them showed up in shorts and flip flops. One of them had holes in his shirt. Another had on black socks and sandals (shudder). Do you think any of them are going to get a second interview?

One of the last women was dressed business casual and looked really good, she asked me about our dress code. I almost cried as I told her she looked perfect.

When did people stop dressing up for interviews???

Lady DR said...

Last topic first. "This is America," someone said. Right. So, that gives the town citizens and officials the right of choice, in determining the kind of town and atmosphere they wish to retain. I'm with the towns on this one, especially, since the ban applies only within the city limits. The franchises can build a mile outside the city limits and still easily draw customers. Juneau AK had such a ban for years and years and we were so isolated (could only get in by plane or boat) that if you wanted a McDonalds, you had to have them frozen in dry ice and flown in (which was known to happen). We all survived quite nicely, actually. The citizens have the right to say what they want and don't want in their towns. As you know, we fought Walmart tooth and nail and lost. We've since lost several local small businesses in our little. Coincidence?

Dress code. I think appropriate dress has gone the way of civility. I also think different dress is appropriate in different areas, places and cultures. I can't be objective about flip flops, because I know the damage they cause to the spinal system, hips and feet and only have them to wear from locker room to pool or for very quick excursions outside to water the gardens. That aside... there are certain places where I consider shorts, jeans, tight tees or tank tops and the like inappropriate. Court room are one, churches are another, business appointments another. All of those want long pants. What I think is equally important is the, uh, type? For example, jeans are standard attire here. However, the jeans are clean, fit well (no baggy stuff), have no tears, are worn with nice tops and a blouse or jacket and nice shoes. Basically, they're the equal of slacks, in quality and style and appearance. Given our weather here, I've no problem with shorts, outside the above venues. Again, it's the style (for lack of a better word). Shorts with nice sandals, a nice top and maybe blouse as a jacket or short sets that are coordinated, clean, pressed, are fairly standard attire, primarily for comfort in triple digit temps. Pants of any sort that show underwear are ridiculous, IMHO.

As to Mary's comment, I think I told you what TJ observed when he went to his first interview at BMW. It was a job fair. He said half the people in line (there were over 500, before the day was over) were dressed in shorts, tank tops, flip flops and baseball camp. He also said they were quickly eliminated, almost as soon as they got inside the door. He was absolutely appalled. I'm going to be happy to tell him it's not just the south (BG).

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Sorry to you and the others for the late response the caregiver thing was so exhausting that I feel asleep excessively early.

Whenever I go to court I wear a suit and tie if I am going as an expert witness. When I was on jury duty I wore slacks and a shirt. It was a two day trial. I didn't wear dress shoes because dress shoes set off the security alarm at the

I'd miss chains here, but the one restaurant we go the most to is a local chain. I seldom go to Starbucks because I prefer 7-11 Coffee.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

So nice to see you again, I hope you and John are doing well.

It does sound like a picture perfect town. Jackson Hole, Wyoming also doesn't allow chains, groceres or restaurants. Well they do allow tham but they have to be built in the same manner as all the other businesses in the city and that scares most chains off.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

I always like your posts! Casual Friday has seem to expand to casual all the time.

I would never hire anyone that showed up for a job interview in flip flops and shorts. So I'm guessing that was your one and only meeting with them!

The last woman would be a good hire for me because if she cares about herself she would care about her work area.

I wonder if people have quit dressing up for interviews because they have never been taught to.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I agree with you on the town's choice and we are talking restaurants not needed hospitals. Not only does keeping chain restaurants out keep the city's style it encourages the patronage of local business which expands beyond the restaurants to local farmers and dairies etc.

I'm also with you on the dress code. My first job at a CPA firm requied white shirts, three piece suit, winged tip shoes, and an appropriate tie. Why I think that is a little much I'd be completely in support of a dress code in the middle of what it was then and what it is now. I'm not sure yet how I feel about dress codes at churches. One side of me thinks you should show respect and dress up for it and one side of me thinks the doors of the churches should be open to everyone that wants to come as some can't afford good clothes. I'm fine with jeans as long as they are clean. Although I seldom wear them because I just don't look good in them. In hot climates shorts are almost a requirement.

I'm glad TJ will no longer just think where you leave where people have quit dressing up for job fairs and interviews.

Billl