Friday, August 13, 2010

The Science Of The Obvious

The science of the obvious:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/problemchildrentormentparentsevenaftertheygrowup;_ylt=An_6nJs.XE1W4urGh4JfB9es0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTRvdTRkNmdnBGFzc2V0A2xpdmVzY2llbmNlLzIwMTAwODEzL3Byb2JsZW1jaGlsZHJlbnRvcm1lbnRwYXJlbnRzZXZlbmFmdGVydGhleWdyb3d1cARjY29kZQNyYW5kb20EY3BvcwM5BHBvcwM2BHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDcHJvYmxlbWNoaWxk

I've always kind of known that whatever I did was a reflection on my parents. My successes were their successes and my failures were their failure. Where I separate from the article is that during those times of failure my parents were extremely supportive and helped me to recover from the failures. They always also viewed me as a success and promoted the thinking that failures were a normal part of life and often a percuser to successes. What do you think of the article?

Since we are talking the obvious today. Seven thoughts that are bad for you:

http://www.livescience.com/health/090911-7-bad-thoughts-1.html

Cynicism, lack of meaning, fretting, lack of self-control, anxiety, gloom and doom, and stress are the seven thoughts that are bad for you. I'd add a sarcastic one like reading obvious articles but I am practicing self-control. What are your thoughts about the article? Is fretting over the lack of meaning causing you gloom and doom thoughts making you a cynic and leading you to anxiety and stress ending with you losing self-control?

Your comments are appreciated.

Who Am I?

Yesterday's answer: The late great Dorothy Height. Another great woman today.

I was born in 1930 the oldest of two daughters in a farming family. I grew up working hard, and dreamed of having a tough job that would allow me to be in charge. I attended the University of Illinois and graduated in 1952 with a bachelor of science degree. I quickly found a job in the corporate world but at the time there was no possibility of any real advancement for a woman. I joined the Air Force that at the time was advertising equal opportunity for all. Because of my college background I was commissioned as a second lieutenant and completed the Officer's Basic Military Training. I at one time commanded the Women in the Air Force Squadron Section. I became the first woman to deploy with a Strategic Air Command operational unit when I served a temporary tour of duty as executive officer and chief of the Management Analysis Division in Vietnam. When in Saigon I experienced rocket strikes that hit less than two blocks from my quarters. I did not feel fear because I'd gone over with the idea that I wouldn't come back alive and accepted it. I was outspoken about the controversial issue of women serving in the armed force once being quoted as saying, "Women are already in combat, so when people argue about whether they should be permitted to carry weapons, they're really asking whether the military should let women be fired at but not be able to fire back." After completing my year-long tour of duty in Vietnam I was assigned to Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command. I would eventually become the first female officer to attend the Industrial College of the Armed Forces. Then I would proceed to become the first woman in the comptroller field to become a brigadier general with my father attending the ceremony and pinning the star on my shoulder. During my career I received numerous military honors, including the Defense and Air Force Distinguished Service Medals, the Air Force Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star, and the Vietnam Service Award with four stars. I was also the only woman in history ever to serve as president of the board of directors of the Pentagon Federal Credit Union. After retiring I worked to establish a memorial to honor women in U.S. military service. I helped to raise over $20 million for the memorial, which was designed and built largely by women. I also worked with the foundation that created the Margaret Chase Smith Leadership Award, which is given each year to women who open opportunities for women in the American military. I am one of the most-decorated military women in US history and am listed in Who's Who in America, in the National Women’s Hall of Fame, won the US Air Force Woman of Distinction Merit Award, and am in the US Army Women’s Foundation Hall of Fame. Listing only these few of my many awards doesn't do me justice but will help you answer the question of Who Am I?

12 comments:

Pat said...

Your question: Is fretting over the lack of meaning causing you gloom and doom thoughts making you a cynic and leading you to anxiety and stress ending with you losing self-control?

My answer: Yes.

As to the other article, well, yes, I guess that's sort of obvious.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Sounds like you are having the same problem I am!

Bill

Lady DR said...

It may depend on parents, but I do think many parents look at their children as some sort of extension of themselves, particularly if the parents don't consider themselves as success as they like or didn't have opportunities they wanted. They hope their children will be successful and have advantages and take advantage of them.

As to the second article... since I have anxiety-panic disorder, it's obvious I've at least had issues with many of these in the past (wry s), but I have to say no to your question (despite the past week, which I'm considering an aberration. Cynical? Not really, although I guess yes on some things, like political promises. Therapy and a lot of research have helped me with self control, fretting and the gloom and doom, although I admit it takes conscious effort sometimes to reverse old tapes and rethink situations and circumstances. The one sticking point is lack of meaning or purpose. Sometimes I wonder if I have purpose and meaning in my life. Then the questions arises: is this a case of my not seeing the meaning, but other people believing I have meaning in *their* lives? Is what I look at as commonplace or ho-hum, actually a purpose to others, like my editorial work? Who defines meaning and purpose? I can't cure aides, but I can cure an ailing manuscript. I can't cure cancer, but I can show someone water routines to strengthen muscles or increase flexibility. Am I searching for meaning and purpose as world-changing efforts, when maybe it's making one person's life better or brighter one day at a time?

Unknown said...

Yup! The first article is pretty obvious.

As for the 7 bad thoughts:
I find it interesting that the studies seemed to center on male respondents and how these things affect their lives. Not being sexist or anything, but I think certain tendencies, like lack of meaning or gloom & doom, are experienced more by women. Well, maybe ... rethink that response (burble! burble!) Let me rephrase that ... I think those particular bad thoughts AFFECT women more adversely than they do me.

Why? Maybe because we don't admit how we are feeling to others so we tend to stew in our own juices?

I dunno. It was just a thought ....

Unknown said...

Oh duh! Always read before posting!

Editorial correction!
"I think those particular bad thoughts AFFECT women more adversely than they do me. " should read "I think those particular bad thoughts AFFECT women more adversely than they do men."

dona said...

Your question: Is fretting over the lack of meaning causing you gloom and doom thoughts making you a cynic and leading you to anxiety and stress ending with you losing self-control?

My Answer is also Yes.

But just this week. actually on Wednesday. I lost self control. I never lose it. But I did and felt bad, but glad I finally got something off my mind, but felt bad again. Didn't sleep Wednesday nite. Felt weird yesterday. I NEVER lose it. But I did.
I haven't felt myself since... Until reading this. I laughed. couldn't believe you posted it, it was like you posted it for me.
Thanks, I feel better now. :)

William J. said...

Hi DR

I also think parents feel like failures if we their children do something wrong, like they raised them wrong or something.

I may have a blog entry in the next few weeks about panic attacks and ask you help with it.

Shoot you are the only so far to say no! The rest of us are out of control. I actually think just like you do, my life has meaning to others, like Mom and Sister, but I question often if it has meaning to me.

I also don't think meaning has one definition. I think I could increase my meaning by teaching people how to cheat on their tax return and not get caught.

Interesting comment, thank you for it.

Bill

William J. said...

Maryanne!!!

Welcome, everyone say hi to Maryanne. A lot of already know her and she is one good woman!

I should have noticed the respondents were men and I happen to agree with you that meaning and gloom and doom are experienced more by women. I also think the responsibility of teaching meaning to their children follows on women's shoulders, which falls in line with the first article.

The part I'm not sure about is the not admiting part because men won't admit a weakness or an emotion most of the time.

Be an interesting off shoot of the study. To study the different emotions of mean and women and how each sex reacts to them and deals with them.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Maryanne

We are pretty easy going her, you never have to worry about editing here, if you do then I have to edit my stuff too!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

OK, what you have went through with your dad, then with The Shankster's health issues, and then with your own health issues, you damned well deserved to lose control. The only shocking thing for me is that it so long for it to happen. You defintely have more patience than I do and are better woman than I am a man because I would have lost it a long time before you did.

Since your answer is yes, Pat and I will welcome you to our club.

And when I posted this I thought you know this is going to be a boring post but something within me said "post it anyway." Must of been your voice!

I'm glad you feel better.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Be happy to help with any post I can, but bear in mind I may not be the most objective contributor to some issues (wry s)

William J. said...

Hi DR

I will take heartfelt over objective anytime!

Bill