Sunday, December 12, 2010

Hound Dog Update

In 1954, Jimmy Denny, manager of the Grand Ole Opry, fired Elvis Presley after one performance. He told Presley, “You ain’t goin’ nowhere… son. You ought to go back to drivin’ a truck.” Elvis Presley went on to become the most popular singer in America.

Looking in the rearview last week as a blur. Monday was the very enjoyable book signing. Tuesday a business meeting and luncheon. Wednesday an all day work assignment. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and this Morning at Mom's. I am really tired and it doesn't look like there will be a break anytime soon.

On the agenda this week. I'm leaving Mom's at ten to go have breakfast with the guys. Afterwards I am going to get a birthday card for my favorite uncle, some theater gifts cards for my mom that she wants to give away for Christmas gifts, and do some of my own Christmas shopping. Monday and Tuesday is a two day seminar on the new tax laws, laws that will no doubt be changed right after the seminar. Tuesday night, Wednesday day and night, and Thursday morning are at Mom's. Friday is a business meeting. Saturday I'm disappearing.

The seminar will allow me a little rest. The good thing about the seminar is that a little over two years I couldn't make it through one of those boring things without having a panic attack. Now they are a piece of cake. I just slide right through them. Or sleep right through them.

What I do when I have busy weeks like last week and next week is write all my blog entries ahead of time and then set a day and time to have them post automatically. This afternoon I will write Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday's entries. When, I do that something usually gets eliminated and what is getting eliminated this coming week is the Who Am I. That takes the longest so it goes by the wayside. Seminars start at freaking eight in the morning so that doesn't leave a lot of time to do everything I would like to do. The blog will return to normal Friday.

The entertainment update. Brandy won The Apprentice. It was really close but I think an extraordinary number of "you alls" did Clent in. The jackass Nick and his soon to be ex girl friend Vicki were eliminated on The Amazing Race. If she doesn't leave that jerk she is incredibly foolish. Tonight is the final on The Amazing and I'm pretty sure an all women team will win the Race for the first time. I'm going with the doctors but the shopping network babes could sneak in there and take the win.

That's it for the today. You know the drill. Catch me up on what went on, is going on, or will go on in your lives. I would also be in seventh heaven if the lurkers or newbies introduced themselves. May this be a great day for all of you.

2 comments:

Lady DR said...

One wonders if Mr. Denny learned anything from the experience with Elvis.

Honest to goodness, Bill, how long is care giver going to be gone? It seems like you and Sis are back on full-time duty indefinitely.

Condolences on the seminar. I know how much you enjoy them (wry s). Do you, at least, have a good book to read?

Been a good week and productive weekend around here. I had only one app't and that was the PT massage, which I thoroughly enjoy. Got in editorial hours and making progress. Survived yesterday's shopping trip to the mall and couldn't believe the discounting already going on, plus getting to the cashier's station and receiving an additional 20% off the entire purchase. I think I got items everyone will like, but they all have "gift receipts" for exchange purposes. Then a lovely hour wandering around B&N, in the process of buying Joe's books. I'd been neither place for over a year (a shopper, I am not).Have all the shopping done, except oldest nephew, who hasn't sent his list yet and will be getting an email advising him all packages are being shipped by Friday, so either get me a list or look for coal. Did returns at Hammricks and picked up the last item for youngest sis. All gifts are in boxes, ready to be taped shut, wrapped and packed for shipping, the Christmas letter is done, the ham soup is made. Cleaning and paperwork lost out, so sometime this coming week, that's got to be done. Creativity was figuring out which appliances can be run without tripping the breaker, since we put the new ac/heater unit in my office. Heat office, turn off unit, run washer and/or dryer and/or iron until office is unbearable, kill laundry items, bring office up to temp. Repeat. Try to do laundry when temps are above 35 degrees (wry s). Yesterday was nice - high forties - now we're back to the deep freeze again, about 20 degrees below normal, which has even the natives grumping a lot. All in all, I seem to be close to schedule for Christmas, which is scary, and still getting in editorial hours, without working weekends, also scary. Life is good.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Do people like Denny ever learn?

I've given up trying to figure out the caregiver and sister is going away for Christmas so back to Bill.

With my say yes attitude this year as boring as the seminar is going to be I am going there looking for new contacts and new friends.

Your weeks are always productive.
You went to the mall? Better get my will done because the world may becoming to an end.

I have no doubt with your tastes that you go things people will like.

I love walking around book stores. I'm glad you sent the nephew a wakeup call.

I'm not anywhere near done for Christmas, maybe I will finish by New Year's Day.

It hasn't been cold her but Friday and Saturday we had four inches of rain total. I'm so glad I got my new roof before winter.

Bill