Wednesday, December 29, 2010

On The Shelf

Igor Stravinsky: In 1913 when Stravinsky debuted his now famous Rite of Spring, audiences rioted, running the composer out of town. Yet it was this very work that changed the way composers in the 19th century thought about music and cemented his place in musical history.

A couple of the days ago I did a blog post entitled "Off The Shelf" today the post is titled "On The Shelf" because that is what I am until Friday. I had a small cut on my leg. I didn't think it was anything serious so just put anti-biotic cream and lived with it. Mom and my niece repeatedly beat me up over the head with constant love nags to go to the doctor. I went to the doctor basically to prove them wrong. Damn it they were right. The medical personnel was really concerned and immediately put me on an anti-biotic and ordered me to three days of staying off my leg. I have to be in the recliner with my leg above my heart for three freaking days. Of course I can take short breaks for certain things but mainly I'm locked in the recliner and loaded with books and food. They diagnosed it as cellulitis whatever the heck that is. I go back to the Doctor on Friday and if it hasn't improved I am in it deep. It already looks better than yesterday so I'm very optimistic.

However, I can't stay up long enough to research the Who Am I and the articles for the blog. So until Friday the blog will be either on vacation or there will be really small posts or updates on the man in the recliner.

Back to my uplifting life.

10 comments:

Mary Z said...

Sorry about that, Bill. Cellulitis is nothing to be taken lightly - it's a deep, generalized infection which needs to be treated very aggressively. Glad you saw the doc. We'd hate to lose you. 8^)

Pat said...

Don't you just hate it when mom and sis are right and you're wrong! But I'm glad you broke down and saw a doc. I just looked up cellulitis and Mary Z has it right, only my source doesn't say it's necessarily deep. The treatment recommended is just what your doc advised, so listen to what your mom is no doubt saying and just do it. {g}

I know we'll all be pulling for a quick recovery. My source says it can be cured in as little as 7 days, so that's what I'm going to hope for. But don't jump the gun, let the doc decide.

William J. said...

Hi Mary Z

Thanks twice for being sorry and for the information.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Boy do I ever hate it when mom and sis are right and I'm wrong!

It can turn into deep. They actually took an X-ray and if was in the bone tissue I'd be in the hospital right now. I go back Friday. They want to see some improvement. If they do they will continue the anti-biotics until the seven days is up but I will be able to spend less time in the recliner. If they don't see improvement I'm in trouble.

Thanks for pulling for me!

Bill

Pat said...

They suspected possible bone involvement?? This doesn't sound at all like a little cut you were ignoring. But oh, well, continuing to send good vibes for a quick healing!

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think it was more a case of wanting to eliminate that the infection was in the bone tissue than suspecting.

The sore in my mind was small everyone else's mine it was large. About the size of a dollar bill folded in thirds.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Like the others I checked out cellulitis. Bacterial infection, not to be taken lightly, as Mary Z said. I'm glad you didn't wait any longer, glad you're following instructions and glad Sis is back and this is your week off, although I'm sure there are other ways you'd prefer to spend it. According to what I read, call the doc if, before Friday, you have persistent fever, drowsiness, lethargy, blistering over the cellulitis, or red streaks that spread.

When I had the infection from the cat attack, the doc marked an area with a pen and said if the redness touched any of the outside lines, call her and she'd meet us at the hospital, so this isn't anything to mess with.

Hon, the last thing to worry about at this point is posting to the blog or research for same. We'll manage, believe me. If you feel well enough to let us know you're doing fine with a one line message, that's okay. Anything else, we'll probably scold (yeah, I know, you need more sisters and moms (wry s)).

Hope you've got some good books and others are keeping you fed. Know I'm sending healing hugs and prayers and not looking for an answer to this post. Now, get back in that recliner and get your feet up, if you're at the computer!

William J. said...

Hi DR

They drew a mark around the red area, the infected area, with a pen and if the red spread outside of it I was to go to the emergency room. It hasn't spread outside of it yet. I've only been on the medication a little over 24 hours and the red area has decreased instead of going outside the area so I think I am good. And it was to go to the hospital immediately.

I like being scolded by friends, it shows they care.

I do have some good books but have been sleeping a lot. The meds have kind of knocked me out.

Thanks for the hugs and healing vibes.

The computer is a true laptop as it is in my lap.

Bill

Anonymous said...

Please take care of yourself Bill! Hope you havea great New Year...

William J. said...

Wow. There is a name I haven't seen in ages. Babyliser how the heck are you? Still traveling? How is your Mom? How are you?

So good to see you here!

Happy New Year to you too!

bill