Thursday, December 2, 2010

Rescues

Today the subject is rescues. However, before writing about rescues a little about yesterday's Who Am I. The answer was Sarah Emma Edmonds. Pat asked if we had had her before because she remembered another Who Am I that featured a woman who dressed like a man. We had but that was a former slave. I didn't go to the trouble of finding out the name of the slave and African American. Edmonds was a Canadian Caucasian. Pat's question did spark my curiosity. I did a little research and found out in the following book review that two hundred and forty women dressed as a man to serve their county during the Civil War. Check out the book review:

http://www.cojoweb.com/books-they-fought-like-demons.html

Now on to rescues. I'm starting with the good rescue and the good story:

http://www.pawnation.com/2010/12/02/meet-lily-rescued-from-starvation-she-now-helps-alzheimer-pat/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk3%7C187573

Next up is one of the most unique reasons that someone risked his life to save another human:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101130/od_nm/us_newyork_subway

We will close with Rescue for Dummies:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/24/ap/strange/main7087650.shtml?tag=cbsnewsSectionContent.12

Any comments are appreciated.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Sweet story about Lily. I love the idea of bringing dogs to visit nursing homes.

Very funny about the heroic rescue for a, well, unusual reason. I'm just glad it worked out. Also funny about the dummy rescue, and that they needed to do an actual rescue so there wouldn't be any more calls.

Sorry my faulty memory put you to the trouble of doing a bunch of research, but the book does look interesting.

William J. said...

Pat

Don't apologize. I never would have researched it unless I found the question very interest, which it was. I now know 240 women dressed as men to serve their country during the Civil War. And I found a book that does look very interesting! So thank you!!!

They have been multiple studies that pets in hospitals and nursing homes are healthy for the patients. Lowers their blood pressure amonth aother things.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Wonderful story about Lily. Until I got Gypys, I'd always had rescued dogs, always mutts. Then, we couldn't find small dogs at any of the shelters. Spooker came from the Humane Society. They had no idea what she was. We later discovered, from someone who knew her previous owners, she's not only an Alaskan Spitz, but they reportedly paid $1200 for her, then had to give her up.

Yes, research supports dogs in nursing homes and there are some children's wards in hospitals who also use visiting therapy dogs. I think Skeeter would have been excellent for that, when she was young. If I ever have another dog, it's something I'll actively investigate.

Hey, at least the guy was honest about his rescue (wry s). As to the dummy rescue - if it was a hoax, it was a terrible waste of manpower and money. I doubt they'll ever find out or, if so, who did it, but a hoax perp should be required to repay all the costs of the rescue, IMHO.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Rescue dogs would make good pets but the Spooker is a great one. Wow what an expensive dog! I bet you would pay that for her now!

They actually wanted to put Katie cat in a program where pets visited hospitals and nursing homes. Vet said only about one cat in a thousand would work and he thought Katie was that one. I also think if you did put your dog in the program it would not only reward the dog and the residents it would also benefit you because you would also meet new people and impract their lives.

The dummy thing bothered me a lot. The honest guy kind of made me life because if the train ran over him he wouldn't have made it to work.

Bill