Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Memorable Moments of 2010 - Part One

Isaac Newton, known as the greatest mathematician of all time, derived the law of universal gravitation, invented the branch of mathematics called calculus, and performed experiments investigating the nature of light and colour. He did very poorly in grad school.

The answer to yesterday's Who Am I was Tenny Emma Albright

I am not doing memorable moments in order of importance, all the moments are important to me.

In January my Mom and an old friend Maxine celebrated their birthdays together. It was Maxine's 90th birthday. Mom and Maxine hadn't seen each other for over twenty years. Maxine's daughter and granddaughter brought her to Portland for a very fun weekend. They took Mom for a pedicure because she had never had one before. We had a nice dinner at Rose's the night they arrived. Then we had a great dinner at McCormack & Schmicks. They even had menus with Happy Birthday Maxine & Miriam at the top of them. On the morning the Idaho group left we had a nice breakfast at their hotel. Of course the weekend was filled with conversation, laughter, and memories.

Maxine and her husband Boyd and their children Billy and Tammy lived next door to us in Pocatello, Idaho when we lived on a very small farm. Our two families bought ten acres together and then split it down the middle. Growing up I road horses with Tammie. We were buds. I hadn't seen her for years and years. So not only was it reunion for Mom, it was a reunion for me too.

Mom is seated, Maxine is standing.



Nikkie, Maxine's granddaughter, is standing on the left, Tammie Maxine's daughter is kneeling on the right.



Not all memorable moments are good ones. Mom and I had a doctor appointment with the foot doctor in January. I overslept and dressed in a hurry. I didn't bother to turn the lights on, I just got dressed in the dark and run out to the car. When I got to Mom's I looked down at the shoes I was wearing. Oops. My choice was to go home to get the right shoes and be late or go as is and be on time. I went as is and made it with three minutes to spare. It was memorable for the doctor and his wife/receptionist too since every time I have returned since then they say "it is nice to see your shoes match."




The following is the final memorable moment of the day. A link to the blog entry where after years and years I earned redemption.

http://thedahnreport.blogspot.com/2010/04/redemption.html

Your comments are appreciated. Be kind.

8 comments:

Pat said...

Love the shoe story. I may have commented at the time that one of my composers did that for a scoring session where he was conducting a full orchestra. His was less noticeable than yours -- one black shoe, one brown shoe. Nobody would have noticed if he hadn't, but he went home at lunch and changed anyway.

Also love the redemption story. As I commented at the time, my entire career in editing happened because when asked if I could do something, I'd always say yes and then figure out how to do it. I managed to stay a step ahead, though, and never got fired, so never needed redemption.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I remember the composer story but he just should have went with the flow and kept the shoes on!

One of the things that I have always admired about you is the way you got into your editing career.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Love both memorable moments and thanks for the pix. The shoe story has always been one of my favorites.

One of my memorable moments was the Pomeroy reunion last June, a combination of both the good and the bad. The bad was making the 11 hour trip out in record temps, with no a/c and the 12+ hour trip home in driving rain storms. The good was seeing all the relatives, spending extra time with Mom and Aunt Dorothy. If I knew how to post a pix, I'd show the Pomeroy clan - the hotel staff took pix of us filling the open stairway to the second floor, spilling into the second floor open balcony.

That's one. Not sure I'll come up with ten, but who knows?

William J. said...

Hi DR

I remember the reunion and how hard you worked on it and how much fun it turned out to be. I also remember worry about you because of the weather and how hard the trip was.

Email me the pictures and I will post them Friday. I'm sure I am not the only one here that would love to see them.

Maybe my memories in the next two days will jog your memories!

Bill

dona said...

I love all your stories, Bill. I love all the pics you post of you, your mother and your family. To me it seems as you have a loving/close family, and every picture seems to have such a nice story behind it.

The redemption story is classic. Toot sweet!

I totally love the Shoe story. Especially the fact they were completely opposite colors and you still went with it!

I went with my Sister in Law shopping today, she asked about you. I was quite shocked she knew so much about you. (seems she looks at your blog through mine, who knew?) Just thought I would let you know she thinks you are not only smart, but quite funny. She even said she loves your stories......that makes two of us.

William J. said...

Hi Dona

Wow. Your messages always make my day.

My family is great and we have had a lot of fun in our lives.

Us Dahns have to be on time. I glad it was just different colored shoes and I remembered to put my pants on.

I am love with you and you sister-in-law. Shankster is a lucky man and I am sure so is your sister in laws husband!

Bill

dona said...

You are too funny, Bill..(pants on)

And yes, my sister in law is the greatest and her husband is very lucky to have her...as I am not sure who else would put up with him.... (my brother)

:)

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I did once go out with my pants on backwards but I just never confessed to it until now nor did I take pictures of it.

My guess is your brother is a pretty good dude too so it sounds like a good marriage.

Bill