Friday, December 3, 2010

Good News Or Bad News?

I am on the fence on whether or not the following article is good news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101203/ap_on_hi_te/as_china_high_speed_rail

The train would certainly get you where you were going fast, almost as fast as airplanes. But a crash at the high of speed? Would their be survivors?

I'm also on the fence on whether or not the following is good or bad news:

http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/12/01/finger-length-could-point-to-prostate-cancer-risk/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk1%7C187781

My ring finger is longer than my index finger. Not by much but still bigger.

The following article I would classify as good news:

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-center/arthritis/celebrex-skin-cancer-prevention/?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk3%7C187781

Well maybeit isn't good news because a lot of people had to suffer from arthritis before the discovery was made.

Are the articles good news or bad news? Any other comments are also appreciated.

PS

Following the Who Are We is a picture of me in the previously mentioned Canali Suit. It isn't a very good picture. Trust me, I do have a neck. Mom can't stand long enough to take a picture so she took the picture while sitting down and I was looking down at the camera.


WHO ARE WE?

We began in late 1917 when General Pershing's appeal for bilingual telephone-switchboard operators was published in newspapers throughout the United States. It was called an "Emergency Appeal" and specifically requested that women who held the position of switchboard operators be sworn into the U.S. Army. These women were to be subject to all Army regulations, including Court-Martial, as well as another ten rules designed to assure their moral character. Married women were accepted if not married to anyone serving overseas. It was expected we be twenty-five years old. There were few among the 700 volunteers who spoke French. In selecting the first 300, the age requirement and even the switchboard training was waived, for two sisters who had moved from France to the United States, when their widowed mother had married an American. They were 18 and 20. A 19-year-old American of French-Canadian origin also volunteered, she had played piano for dance-bands throughout the Thumb District of Michigan, for six years, since the age of thirteen, and she knew all the World War One popular music. While sailing "Over There" on the S.S. Olympic, which had been placed in quarantine at Southampton, England for two weeks because of the Spanish Influenza pandemic, she entertained the troops. When she was asked by a Red Cross official to accept a position touring camps and hospitals to entertain, she replied that she was in the Army under orders for the duration of the War. When us girls returned to the United States and applied for our honorable discharges we were told they could not have been sworn into the Army, because U.S. Army regulations stated that "males" were sworn in, and said nothing about "persons," as the U.S. Navy regulations had. "Yeomanettes" who served in the United States during WWI, were therefore considered veterans, but not the U.S. Army Signal Corps women, who had served Over There. From 1930 to 1978 we introduced bills into Congress, which had actually given Citations for Bravery to ten of us, to give us our honorable discharges. The ten of us that had received Citations for Bravery were in a building that had caught fire from bombardment and we had been ordered to leave the switchboards. We believed the order for our safety to have been in consideration of our gender and continued to operate until the fire was so threatening that GHQ threatened Court Martial if we did not leave our posts. We were back in an hour after the fire was put out. A Seattle lawyer volunteered his services to help us get our honorable discharges. He and us received help from several Congresspersons, who introduced the bill that gave them recognition of our status, on the 60th anniversary of the Armistice. For the seventy of us still alive, there was nation-wide coverage in the newspapers, but our story has still not been told in the history books. Each of us remaining were visited by a General of the U. S. Army and handed our Honorable Discharge in a ceremony at her home. Who are we?

8 comments:

Pat said...

I'm not sure either if that first story is good news. I think I'd be terrified going at that speed anywhere on terra firma.

Glad I'm a mere woman, since my ring fingers are definitely longer than my index fingers.

The third article only touches on the dangers of taking Celebrex for long periods, and having checked on what they are, I'm not sure I'd consider it all that great news. I suppose if I knew I was at serious risk for melanoma, I might risk it; otherwise, no, thanks.

The suit looks great, neck or no neck! {g}

William J. said...

Hi Pat

Three hundred miles on the ground just scares me and unlike some people we know I love trains but I'm not sure I'd go on one that fast.

I think the finger test is bogus simply because most men's ring fingers are their longest finger. Since that is the largest group of course they would have the most with prostrate cancer.

The side effects of celebrex is a legitimate consideration and that makes the story even less positive then I thought.

Thanks for the nice comment re the suit.


Bill

Lady DR said...

I think high-speed rail has a lot of positives and potential, but at that speed, I'd want a lot of objective information about safety and how the rails line were constructed.

I'm with you and Pat on the ring finger vs index finger thing. I think it needs a lot more research, before anyone begins use it as some sort of predictor.

Ditto more research on the celebrex, given the potential side-effects.

I think the articles are good news, in that research is being done, but I'm not ready to celebrate any of them, without a lot more information.

Like the suit! Good looking dude wearing it, too.

dona said...

Well I am taking Celebrex and have been for some time, as it works terrific for me, so its good news for me as the skin cancer seems to run in the family. My dad especially. I was concerned a few years back on some of the side effects of Celebrex, but I am taking a low dose and the doc feels I am safe but keeps a watchful eye on me. So hopefully it will be a plus for me on the skin cancer.

Suit looks great!

Mary said...

The suit looks great on you!

I need to go wake Joe up and examine his hands. My ring fingers are way longer, but fortunately I have no prostate to worry about.

And you have fun on that train. I myself will not be on it.

William J. said...

Hi DR

High speed rail does havea a lot of potential. I could get from her to LA in three hours without worrying about the airport. Or to the East Coast in ten hours. The thing I like about the train is being able to get up and walk around. Plus the secenery. 300 miles per hour might stop that.

The finger thing is like looking at a line at Starbucks that has nine men and one woman in it and then drawing the conclusion that men like coffee more than women.

I like your take of good news but hold off celebrating the research.

Thanks for the nice comment re the suit. It really was a big step for me. First time wearing it out in public if everything goes well is Monday night.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Dona

I'm glad Celebrex works for you and I'm going with the good news now on Celebrex since it has the potential to help you and your dad!

Thanks re the suit.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Mary

Somehow I am not surprised you won't be trying out the new train.

Did Joe have a longer ring finger?

Thanks re the suit! Monday night it might get a test drive.

Bill