Tuesday, December 14, 2010

It's A Crime

Henry Ford failed and went broke five times before he finally succeeded.

Dr. Seuss' first children's book, "And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street", was rejected by twenty-seven publishers. The twenty-eighth publisher, Vanguard press, sold six million copies of the book.

I think it is a crime that Dr. Seuss had to go through twenty-eight publishers before finally find one with brains enough to publish his first book. I'm not so sure, however, that men wearing makeup is a crime. I've worn makeup before when I was in plays in Drama in High School:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101208/od_nm/us_sudan_decency

What is your reaction to the article? I don't know, I certainly wouldn't waste a courts' time to prosecute a man for wearing makeup.

Did you know that there was a murder in outer space? Read on:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101212/ap_on_sc/us_sci_saturn_rings

Should we send a team of detectives up there to see if they can solve the murder?

It bothers me sometimes when I go to check out a book at the library and it isn't there because some irresponsible human being didn't return it out time. I want to put those that don't return library books in jail when that happens. I'm not sure if that is just venting or if I would actually put them in jail if I were in charge. However, some people have no doubts:

http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/article/texas-woman-jessekah-few-jailed-for-overdue-library-books/19749685?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl1%7Csec4_lnk2%7C188797

Are you with them or against them.

It is a crime that I have to be in a boring seminar today but I hope none of you get arrested today so that you can comment on today's blog entry.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Sorry you have another boring seminar. I haven't been arrested, but the day is young.

All those Middle Eastern "morality" rules are so much hogwash. I just heard about a woman being beaten up by some morality police because she wore pants *under* her burka. I didn't hear where, but if it was a burka, it was probably Afghanistan. I can't even imagine being a woman in one of those countries. You will note that the made-up men were fined, not beaten.

Interesting stuff about Saturn's rings. Whatever made them, they are sure pretty to look at.

I guess if that woman really had a house fire, library books were the last thing on her mind. But after 7 years' worth of notices, she might have notified the library. Around here, if you lose a book, you have to replace it. If you just pay for the library to replace it, it ran $44 the last time I had to deal with that, so I bought the book myself instead. I had given my mom a library book to read. She had loaned it to another resident, she didn't remember who, or put it into the facility's library and it had disappeared. I still got her library books after that, but put big labels on them so they wouldn't get confused with books we owned.

Lady DR said...

I'm with Pat on the morality issues in most of the Muslim countries. If I was in Afghanistan at this time of year, I'd sure want something warm under my burka! As to the men and make-up, pfooey, especially since they were working as models. And, yes, interesting they got fines, the woman above was beaten and the woman who wore pants in Sudan was jailed.

Regarding Saturn, I really like the idea of cosmic recycling (g).

I'm not sure I'd go so far as jail for an unreturned book, unless it was extreme. In this woman's case, I'm again with Pat. If the books were lost in a fire, she should have notified the library in writing, as soon as she got the first or second notice. Our rules are the same here -- if a book is lost, you must pay for replacing it, although you aren't allowed to buy the replacement yourself, but must pay the library cost, which includes time spent coding it into the system and such, supposedly. We have a wonderful, computerized system here. I can go online and request books I want. I'm notified when they arrive at the local library and pick them up. I'm also notified the book is due in three days, if I haven't yet returned it, and given the option to renew online. It makes my life a lot simpler and I love it.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think you kind calling the Middle East morality rules hogwash, I think they are even worse than that. That is tragic the woman was beaten for wearing pants.

The saturn rings are beautiful.

That is the part about the library story that bothered me, how many notices she got without responding to them. That makes me feel less sorry for you. Now you are a different story because you would never not respond to notices, they should have forgiven you.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

I think we are all in agreement about the morality issues in the Middle East.

Cosmic recycling is now one of my favorite things.

We also have a computerized system here and you don't have to return to book to the same library to the book you borrowed it from. As long as the library is part of the county system you can any book there. They also email and snail mail warnings.

Bill