Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Science

Today we are all about science.

An interesting experiment which might lead to an identity crisis for cells. Well, actually the experiment could lead to some amazing cures for disease.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101129/ap_on_sc/us_sci_cell_id_switch

Now that we switched identities of cells, can we talk about slowing global warming? The following scientist is trying a new way to do just that:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101128/ap_on_re_eu/eu_russia_ice_age_park

The ice age is being created but what about the beginning of the universe? Could that be recreated?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20101130/sc_livescience/dawnoftheuniverserecreated

Your comments are dearly appreciated.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1841 and died in 1898. Although I was born in Canada I am known
for serving with the Union Army during the American Civil War. I left home at a young age after my mother and my verbally and physically abusive father attempted to force me to marry a man I hated. I worked for a time as a milliner and later sold Bibles and other odds and ends. Afraid of being found by my father I fled to the United States. During the Civil War, I enlisted in the 2nd Michigan Infantry on my first try, disguising myself as a man named Franklin. Extensive physical examinations were not required for enlistment at the time, and I was not discovered. First I served as a male field nurse, participating in several campaigns under including the First and Second Battle of Bull Run, Antietam, the Pensilur Campaign, Vicksburg, among others. My career took a turn before the war when a Union spy was discovered and went before a firing squad, which opened up a slot in intelligence gathering for me. Seeing this as an opportunity to avenge a fallen comrade's death I eagerly accepted. When I went before the committee for an interview as Franklin, I impressed the committee and the position was given to me. Having to travel into enemy territory in order to gather information required me to come up with many disguises and I established several. For my first disguise I used silver nitrate to dye my skin black, used a black wig, and walked into the Confederacy disguised as a black manm by the name of Cliff. Another time I entered as an Irish peddler woman by the name of Bridget claiming that I was selling apples and soap to the soldiers. Yet another time I was "working for the Confederates" as a black laundress when a packet of official papers fell out of an officer's jacket. When I returned to the Union with the papers, the generals were quite pleased. My career as Franklin came to an end when I contracted malaria. Unable to go to the military hospital, because I would be revealed as a woman, I left the army and checked myself in to a private hospital, intending to return to military life once I had recuperated. Once I recovered I saw posters listing Franklin as a deserter. Rather than return to the army under another alias or as Franklin in which case I would be shot for deserting I decided to serve as a female nurse at a Washington, D.C. hospital for wounded soldiers run by the United States Christian Commission. After the war I married a Canadian mechanic with whom I had three children. My two sons and daughter died young, so I took in two boys. I received a government pension of $12 a month for my military service, and after some campaigning gained an honorable discharge. I was inducted posthumously into the Michigan Women's Hall of Fame. If you don't know Who I am by now maybe you should read what I wrote about being a NURSE AND SPY IN THE UNION ARMY. That could help you answer the question, Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I think all this stem cell and cell conversion stuff is great. I just wish I could live long enough to see a lot more of it put to practical use.

Fascinating idea about putting herbivores into the tundra. I hope they survive to do some good and that his idea is correct. I think climate change will ultimately do this planet a lot of damage, at least as far as human endeavors are concerned. That's not something I particularly hope to live to see.

I phase out early in discussions of ions and protons and quarks and gluons. I hope they do somehow someday figure out the origin of the universe in a more than theoretical way. If they announce they have, I will read about it and try very hard to understand it.

Lady DR said...

I'm with Pat on the cell conversion experiments and hope the research continues and provides us with some answers in the future. It sounds like it's really new and I suspect it will be many years before we see the positive results, but it's certainly helpful.

Like Pat, I zoned out on the ions and protons and quarks and gluons. Science and physics and such were never my strong suit (wry s).

As to the guy in Siberia, good for him. And, if I'm reading what he said correctly and not putting my own spin on it, the bottom line is we need to quit cutting down trees and pouring concrete and develop more and more green space throughout the world. I don't think it's just car emissions and pollution that's causing the global warming. I think there are climate shifts -- we've had more than one ice age and more than one warming trend since the beginning of time -- which are part of nature's cycle. However, I think the massive destruction of nature, from grass to trees, is contributing a great deal to the current environment and concerns. We're eliminating, slowly but surely, much of nature's means of dealing with pollutants. Grass, trees and plants absorb carbon dioxide and other pollutants and return fresh oxygen to the environment, whether in a house or in a town, according to the research I've read, yet we keep eliminating these, in order to build more "stuff" that releases pollutants. I may be a radical, but I look at the empty box stores and strip malls and acres of pavement connected to them and wonder what would happen, if all those were leveled, the concrete removed and grass and trees planted in their place. Heck, fence 'em in and let cattle or bison or whatever graze there, maybe creating a farming industry of sorts throughout the cities. Call me a dreamer.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think the stem cell conversion is fantastic and I am more optimistic than you and DR because I think we will see it in out lifetimes.

I also hope the herbivores survive and prove him right. I already think this planet has been damaged by the climate change. Chunks of ice are falling off iceland for instance.

I can of phased out with the protons and quarks but I was at mom's and didn't have time to look for another science article!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

We all agree on the coversion experiments and I'm really optimistic that it will lead to answers and cures.

Believe it or not Science isn't my strong suit either!

I agree with your bottom line on the Siberia guy. I think car emissions is just on very small link to global warming. If you are a radical then so am I because I agree with everything you wrote.
We can dream together.

Bill