Friday, December 17, 2010

Thank you.

Charles Darwin, father of the theory of evolution, gave up a medical career and was told by his father, “You care for nothing but shooting, dogs, and rat catching.” In his autobiography, Darwin wrote, “I was considered by my father, a very ordinary boy, rather below the common standard in intellect.


Let's start out the day with a charming story:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/raising_six_kids_from_haiti_im.html

I really admire the family for providing a home for six previous homeless children.

Sometimes with how busy we all are and at the pace we lead our lives I often think that we really don't to enough time to stop to smell the roses, to appreciate nature, to see the good in our lives, or to say thank you. Do you think the words "thank you" are powerful? Read on:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/excerpt-365-yous-john-kralik/story?id=12402610&page=1

There is a video of the TV interview of Mr. Kralik that I saw in the article. During the year of gratitude he found that he not only changed the lives of others but he changed his own life. He realized he wasn't that bad of a person.

Because of the length of today's two articles that is it. Your comments are appreciated.

PS

To the followers, readers, and commenter's of the blog. Thank you. Thank you making room in your life to read the blog and share you life with me. Thank you for being a part of my life.

WHO AM I?

I was born in 1836 the second of the nine children of a grain merchant and a homemaker.
My younger sister became a leader of the constitutional campaign for women's suffrage. . I was educated at home and at a private school. When twenty-four I resolved to study medicine. I was refused admission as a full student at many medical schools to which she applied. I studied anatomy privately but not only did medical schools deny my application many refused to even to admit me to their examinations. Eventually end the Society of Apothecaries allowed me to enter for the License of Apothecaries' Hall. I was later appointed general medical attendant to St Mary's Dispensary, a London institution started to enable poor women to obtain medical help from qualified practitioners of their own gender. The dispensary soon developed into the New Hospital for Women, and there I G worked for over twenty years. I obtained the University of Paris degree of MD the same year I was elected to the first London School Board. I married the co-owner of a steamship company but did not give my her practice. We had three children, one died of meningitis, and one became a pioneering doctor of medicine and social campaigner. I gained membership of the British Medical Association and remained the only woman member for 19 years, due to the Association's vote against the admission of further women. Elizabeth was the first woman in the world to earn the title of doctor, I was second but the first woman in England to be referred to by that title. I was also the first woman in England to be elected mayor of a city. I died at age eighty-one. Who Am I?

4 comments:

Pat said...

I really admire the couple that adopted the Haitian kids. I admire anyone who adopts a kid in need, but they've gone above and beyond. When I think of the energy it must take to manage that household, I just want to go back to bed.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I think of the energy that a friend of mine and his wife expended just on their first adopted child (they adopted two) I get tired, when I think of adopting six I can't even fathom the energy it must take.

Bill

Lady DR said...

What a wonderful way to end the week, reading the articles you posted, Bill. My admiration goes to the couple with adopted children. While it sounds like chaos reigns, it also sounds as if a lot of love is involved all around.

I really liked the "365 thank yous" and the video. So much of what he says is so true, in a couple ways, for me. On one side of the coin, is the issue of "gratitudes," which are covered in Simple Abundance and Artists' Way and other books. I've found my days are much "better" when I start them with a list of gratitudes. But the writing of a note to those who've made your life better... I've never really done, although I do say thank you for services and such. But what would it mean to Dr. St. J or Lisa or Susan or my line dance teacher or my sibs or so many others, to get a written note, letting them know how much I appreciate what they've done for me, what changes they've made in my life, whether yesterday or ten years ago? Regardless of whether it brings back returns, how good would it make me feel, to say "thank you" to those who've done something that made a positive difference in my life? For some reason, the article and the video struck a chord with me. Thank you for all you share but, especially, for this particular article, which has given me pause for thought.

William J. said...

Hi DR

Sometimes love is chaos but as long as the kids have love a place to call home the chaos I'm sure will be worth it.

I've been trying late to make Friday's the day for touching stories. Or inspirational ones.

I don't know if you remember a couple of years ago when I did my one hundred acts of kindness for my birthday but Mom due to physical limitations couldn't get up and do things for people so she sent thank you notes or letters to the doctor that saved her eyesight and to others that had impacted her. All of the doctors called her and thanked her. And when she goes to them now the is treated like a queen. The impact of those thank you cards is still being felt.

I remember the gratitudes when we took Artist Way together. I read a quote lately that basically said you can choose how to start a day. That is what I am going to do now.

The article and video struck a chord with both Mom and I. Mom because she has always had a habit of doing the thank you cards just not every day, me because I need to do it more.

Bill